iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Apr 26, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #12,211 of 14,617
@Whitigir @Blotto80 I never owned a iBasso DAP
I'm using a AK Kann Alpha at the moment
So really no clue what to expect ... 🤔
Actually looking at the Hiby RS6 as well
As at the AK SP2000T and Cayin N8II but these are pricey
I compared the dx311.2 and 12 with the sp2kT. Ak sounded bit better than the 11.2 but with the amp12, the performance was on same level. Slight differences in presentation. The dx312 was smoother in hights and less peaky but bit more distant than the sp2kT. With some pairings, even the amp11.2 sounded better than the sp2kT. Now, with the modified amp12EXN, from my memory, i would put the dx312EXN higher. But of course the price is less competitive- 1700e for the dx312EXN and the ak becomes quite a good deal, with 2 amps on board and "only" 500e higher in price. Have also compared the Alpha to the dx311.2 but it was quite brutal for the AK in this case.
The sp2kT is a very good dap.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #12,212 of 14,617
I would. The prices you can find the DX300 for are unbeatable and I honestly don't think the 320 will be that much "better". It will be "different" but that'll come down to preference. The DX300 with AMP11.2 is already pretty amazing sounding, throw AMP12 on for a few hundred extra and you'll still (probably) be in cheaper than whatever a DX320 will end up costing.
I think you might be right. I remeber my excitement when the Shanling M9 came and started auditioning. First impressions were great and i thought that it beats the dx312EXN. After a couple days when the emotions settled down, i compared them with cooler blood and found out that the differences were very minor, mostly in trebles, where the M9 was brighter and bit more extended (not more detailed, just more revieling) and the EXN was more natural and organic. So i came to the conclusion that this excitement was rather due to a "new device in the house" than the real sound quality differences. The brain is a bitch in this hobby.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #12,213 of 14,617
You can install from the PlayStore without rooting but it needs Root to hide the Nav Bar.
Or, depending on the app, you could use APB commands to enable the "hide" feature without full rooting (in FNG for instance). Still not as simple as just installing though... :)

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #12,214 of 14,617
As we know the DX320 is arriving
But would you still buy a DX300 today with both modules ... 🤔

I would. The prices you can find the DX300 for are unbeatable and I honestly don't think the 320 will be that much "better". It will be "different" but that'll come down to preference. The DX300 with AMP11.2 is already pretty amazing sounding, throw AMP12 on for a few hundred extra and you'll still (probably) be in cheaper than whatever a DX320 will end up costing.

I also would and as I mentioned , not because of the price

But because of the performances and it practicality : 15 hours playback, and very powerful output, which generates zero to no heats even staying inside the pocket all day long

Normally I would see powerful player with a lot of heat, especially staying inside the pocket , or very weak output as Walkman and it produces Zero heat 😂

I am skeptical about the dx320 to have the same ability to stay as cool as dx300 while having 15 hours or so of play back. That is because dual ROHM chips are very power demanding
I also would, and for all the reasons given. Given a "do-over" I would also reacquire the DX160 as a compliment. The head-gear I use on the DX160 isn't summit-fi so I don't really hear MASSIVE differences in the sound quality between it and the DX300. I was skeptical at first, but I REALLY like what they have done with the Cirrus chip and the way they implemented it in both devices.

For me these two devices will remain my main DAPs until they decide to leave this world... :) But, when they do, I hope that there is a device that takes all that iBasso has learned and improved on it to make an even better device (though, other than niggling stuff, I don't see how that is possible IMO). I don't count the DX320 as one of those. It is being released on a reactionary level rather than a proactive level. Oh, I'm sure it is/will be a wonderful device, but I am satisfied enough that I am not looking at all. That is saying something considering my signature (wallet be damned)... :wink:

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #12,215 of 14,617
I compared the dx311.2 and 12 with the sp2kT. Ak sounded bit better than the 11.2 but with the amp12, the performance was on same level. Slight differences in presentation. The dx312 was smoother in hights and less peaky but bit more distant than the sp2kT. With some pairings, even the amp11.2 sounded better than the sp2kT. Now, with the modified amp12EXN, from my memory, i would put the dx312EXN higher. But of course the price is less competitive- 1700e for the dx312EXN and the ak becomes quite a good deal, with 2 amps on board and "only" 500e higher in price. Have also compared the Alpha to the dx311.2 but it was quite brutal for the AK in this case.
The sp2kT is a very good dap.
What about the EXN module ?
Can I get some info about it ?

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #12,217 of 14,617
Here is a video with a really simple way to enable hiding of nav bar along with gestures:

Keep in mind that, if like me you are using Neutron, you don't need this, you can hide top and bottom bar within the app. So, installing a gesture app will work and the nav bar is hidden (though when you swipe up from the bottom, it will unhide the nav bar, like taksbar auto-hide in Windows).

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #12,218 of 14,617
What about the EXN module ?
Can I get some info about it ?
The EXN is a mod on the AMP12 you can have done at npaudio:

(https://www.npaudio.uk/homepage/npaudio-dx300-amp12exn-upgrade-npaudio-spec)

There are a few levels of modded AMP12s developed by Whitigir here on headfi. The AMP12W being the most basic one (and also the only one that is really DIY) and the the EX and EXN which need to be sent in or bought pre-modded. My understanding is Whitigir worked with Steve at NPAudio to get the EXN mod up and running as a retail product and that is the “preferred vendor”.

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #12,219 of 14,617

There are a few levels of modded AMP12s developed by Whitigir here on headfi. The AMP12W being the most basic one (and also the only one that is really DIY) and the the EX and EXN which need to be sent in or bought pre-modded. My understanding is Whitigir worked with Steve at NPAudio to get the EXN mod up and running as a retail product and that is the “preferred vendor”.
OK I'll shoot a message

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #12,220 of 14,617

We started out as DIY, and we shared our ideas to one another. Steve has his own business operation, so he can perform my EX and the EXNP is his own different tuning, which I don’t perform, the only one I can help performing on the upgrades is EX. Steve is highly recommended by me, and he isn’t my vendor or anything as I don’t get anything from him or even desires for anything in return. One thing for sure is that we are both enthusiastic about this hobby and our community. We try to bring our enthusiasm to the community as much as we can afford.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #12,223 of 14,617
I have modified amp12EXN. I dont think it has extra punch but everything else is a significant step up. Its cleaner, smoother, has more extended bass and sounds more organic overall. It also has slightly bigger staging- more space due to the cleaner and smoother trebles and more airy mids. Better holography too. Battery life is the same as with a stock one.

hmm....then maybe I should commission the Amp11mki to get EXN'd. Need that slam. (if it doesn't lose it after the mod though)

Apr 26, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #12,224 of 14,617
hmm....then maybe I should commission the Amp11mki to get EXN'd. Need that slam. (if it doesn't lose it after the mod though)
The EXN is more dynamic and punchy than the 11.2. The 11.2 is more aggressive in higher mids and this sometimes makes the impression of more punch. I dont think there is any mod for 11.1, 11.2. I think Steven tried but im not sure about the results.

Apr 26, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #12,225 of 14,617

The EXN is more dynamic and punchy than the 11.2. The 11.2 is more aggressive in higher mids and this sometimes makes the impression of more punch. I dont think there is any mod for 11.1, 11.2. I think Steven tried but im not sure about the results.
This. From all that I have read, the 11MK1 is much warmer, and flabbier, than even the 11MK2. If punchier is what you are after, 12 is actually the way to go IMO. Amp 11.2 has deeper bass, but 12 has better transients and textures IMHO.

Keep in mind that all of these differences are sometimes only subtle, and never massive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back