iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jun 29, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #6,946 of 14,618
Just to clarify, and as Vince @Whitigir mentioned, neither amp11 mk1 nor amp12 have small soundstage or congested imaging. They are VERY good, wide, expanded. The thing is that amp11 mk2 takes it to the next level when it comes to soundstage expansion/imaging. It is indeed their best stock amp from iBasso I heard.

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #6,947 of 14,618
This thing is so fast. It's like the speed of a flagship phone with a quad DAC to boot. Going to he hard to go back to the SP2000 and ZX507 after using the DX300.

CqE7arX.jpg

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #6,949 of 14,618
Just to clarify, and as Vince @Whitigir mentioned, neither amp11 mk1 nor amp12 have small soundstage or congested imaging. They are VERY good, wide, expanded. The thing is that amp11 mk2 takes it to the next level when it comes to soundstage expansion/imaging. It is indeed their best stock amp from iBasso I heard.
Let's see, maybe I'll order the MKII too. Then I can make up my own mind or hear what suits me best

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #6,951 of 14,618
This thing is so fast. It's like the speed of a flagship phone with a quad DAC to boot. Going to he hard to go back to the SP2000 and ZX507 after using the DX300.

CqE7arX.jpg
Never going back to sp2k, for exactly that reason..

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #6,952 of 14,618
OK amp12 just came. Impressions with the xelento out of the box:

- its dead flat- nothing pops out, no strange peaks which happend sometimes with the amp11 mkII;
- no shouty vocals on Tidal via UAPP;
- crystal clear with a bit of warmth, very pleasurable sound sig;
- very precise, great imaging;
- HOLOGRAPHY!! - soundstage depth is amazing, 3D like;
- BETTER BASS! Not so soft and floating, more precise. Better textures, almost as deep out of the box;
- overall def more polished sound, seems more mature for me at least.

The only con in comparison with amp11 mkII is the soundstage width. Its quite wide but not as spread.
Amp 11 mkII played more with width, didnt have such depth, was more fun sounding.
Amp 12 is more refined, very holographic, not as wide.

For me amp12 with soundstage width of amp11 mkII would be an end game.

Hoping that with burning in process stage will widen but honestly I dont believe. Lets see.

Yeah, i like it more. Its noticeably more refined, holography is very very obvious. With the amp11 i needed to listen more carefuly to hear the stage depth. Hear is very obvious. And actually with the width im not sure if its narrower. Its maybe the sounds from the left and right are more articulated. This may create an impression of more intimate width. Will see, just started.

I finally decided to send back amp12. I I did a quick tests (as quick as possible, without playing with the screws). The results, with at least my iems, favor amp11 mkII.
More fun factor, more enjoyable bass, waaay wider soundstage. The depth is not as articulated but still amp11 has a very good one. For me the sound is more punchy, dynamic and vivid.
Of course amp12 wasnt burned in but i very doubt that it would change much- probably more refinement would come with time.
Amp 11 had a very wide stage out of the box, it just got more refined.
I will wait for a possible next amp. If it will not come, will buy amp12 in the future.

I do not understand this sequence of comments. I've missed something ... :upside_down:

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #6,953 of 14,618
I do not understand this sequence of comments. I've missed something ... :upside_down:
Yeah true, i should clarify it a bit:) So, I didn't listen to the dx300 today until the amp12 came. So my mind was fresh and I started instantly with the amp12. It made a great impression on me (still the soundtsage width factor was mentioned in my first comment).
Then I started to compare them- quick switching without using the screws, just shutting down the device. After the first test it was clear for me, which one i like more. The soundstage width impression became even more intensive. Maybe i should hold back my comments more and take some time before things clarify in my mind.

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #6,954 of 14,618
Never going back to sp2k, for exactly that reason..
Sadly Astell&Kern has a ton of catching up to do and it might just be too expensive for them to compete with iBasso or FiiO at this point.

It's not looking too great for Astell & Kern DAPs.

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #6,955 of 14,618
Interesting discussion. I bought the AMP12 for its line out feature to pair with my C9. AMP11 mki does not pair well with the C9 for all of my headphones and IEMs and I am hoping that is due to the double amping. We shall see.

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #6,956 of 14,618
Interesting discussion. I bought the AMP12 for its line out feature to pair with my C9. AMP11 mki does not pair well with the C9 for all of my headphones and IEMs and I am hoping that is due to the double amping. We shall see.
That is what I observed. Yes, the LO is a gem

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #6,957 of 14,618
That is what I observed. Yes, the LO is a gem
What I didn't realize is that people are buying multiple AMPs for their phone out. 3 amps that do essentially the same thing. We audiophiles are crazy because after reading this, I am probably going to try to pick up a mkii. Crazy.

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #6,959 of 14,618
What I didn't realize is that people are buying multiple AMPs for their phone out. 3 amps that do essentially the same thing. We audiophiles are crazy because after reading this, I am probably going to try to pick up a mkii. Crazy.
Audiophiles have to have that last 1%, even at a cost... :)

In all honesty though, I think they are getting them because of the different colorations of each amp. It seems as though it would be like owning 3 different DX300s (not to mention the MKI will be a collector's item at some point). :)

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #6,960 of 14,618
I think that maybe iBasso has divided the best features into two amps for purpose. Try to imagine amp12 with the soundstage width of the amp11 mkII and we have probably sp2000 killer for 1/3 of the price.
I am hoping that DX300 with Amp12 + C9 is just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back