iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #6,751 of 14,596
Recessed mid is in comparison to MkII and of course as Alex mentioned. It is also recessed in comparison to the C9 with it line out. But we all hear different things for sure

The Amp12 do have better inner resolutions, density and ambient acoustics than other modules surely. But it does also have a little elevated sub bass into lower mid bass and some in that 5-6k trebles. IMHO, this is what render the mid a little recessed. If I was to blame on anything, it would be this slightly V shaped bumps.

Synergies wise speaking, the Z1R is already V shaped with another V shaped Amp12 is not a good match. It would be fun to be slamming the ears with rumbling and vibrating bass with great dynamic, but to get that good neutralized synergies, it is not recommended from my personal experiences. Perhaps, the EX1K and the HD800s or the like would match better.

Myself, I greatly enjoy Amp12 with EX1K.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #6,752 of 14,596
Hi
I am thinking to try the combo amp12 LO to my ifi micro idsd signature.
Ibasso dx220 includes a 4.4mm to 3.5mm cable but dx300 doesn't include it.
Anybody knows where i can buy this cable or another similar?
I haven't found nothing similar...
I saw in another picture in this post other way to connect through an ifi adapater connected to cable 4.4mm to 4.4mm,...but i dont like that way...
I would also like to know what you have tried to connect amp12 LO to C9 or ifi micro idsd signature, what change do you notice compared to connecting c9 or ifi directly to a pc or mobile?
Is the ibasso dac supposed to make a major change to my ifi's dac?
Or else would ibasso be acting as a dac and preamp?
Greetings

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #6,753 of 14,596
So personally for me the battery life of 8 hours would be sufficient if I get a significant improvement in sound with the Mest MK II. I'm thinking of even better basses that are more structured, clearer and more powerful like Amp 11 MKI. The mids are no longer in the foreground and even more fine details can be heard. And if the sound stage gets bigger, so much the better. Amp 11 MK II i never heard.But for me it would be great if ibasso brings out an amp card with only one 4.4 connection and only uses the creme de la creme. Capacitors, etc. Since I only have IEMS and hear.
I had issues with the vocals being a little too forward with the UM Mest MK2 and AMP11- with AMP12, I can def get louder without feeling shouted at. It's a noticeable improvement with that IEM. I don't know how I feel about it with the Z1R, yet.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #6,754 of 14,596
I have well over 300 hours now on the AMP12 and am trying hard to hear the recessed mids being spoken of. With the IT07 or Focal Utopia or Stellia I am not getting it. Listening to the Vivino Brothers, Blues Band on DSD64 and all the depth and right distance etc., are there. Then on some other recordings, again, with voice, it isn't recessed our odd but not in my face, which I don't care for. It has a nice 3D dimension to it. More like what I have heard in live music, rather than a lot of in your face recordings. Also I hear nice acoustical space (reverb off of walls etc.,) and transparency. Good stuff.
I still have the original version of the DX 300 MK 1. I am now considering buying the Amp 12 and Focal Stella. Can you tell me your impressions of Amp12 with Stella? Many thanks in advance

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #6,755 of 14,596
I had issues with the vocals being a little too forward with the UM Mest MK2 and AMP11- with AMP12, I can def get louder without feeling shouted at. It's a noticeable improvement with that IEM. I don't know how I feel about it with the Z1R, yet.
Yes, I can also find that in the combination Amp 11 MK1 and Mest MK2. It really gives the impression of being yelled at by the singer. That is really too much !! Nora Jones e.g. sounds particularly bad when you hear louder. But nice to hear that it gets better with Amp 12. Hopefully I can buy it here in Vietnam soon. Thank you for the information

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #6,756 of 14,596
Hi
I am thinking to try the combo amp12 LO to my ifi micro idsd signature.
Ibasso dx220 includes a 4.4mm to 3.5mm cable but dx300 doesn't include it.
Anybody knows where i can buy this cable or another similar?
I haven't found nothing similar...
I saw in another picture in this post other way to connect through an ifi adapater connected to cable 4.4mm to 4.4mm,...but i dont like that way...
I would also like to know what you have tried to connect amp12 LO to C9 or ifi micro idsd signature, what change do you notice compared to connecting c9 or ifi directly to a pc or mobile?
Is the ibasso dac supposed to make a major change to my ifi's dac?
Or else would ibasso be acting as a dac and preamp?
Greetings

Email Paul from iBasso and see - they don't make the DX220 Max anymore but they might have an extra adapter or two lying around.

I got lucky and was able to purchase one last week.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #6,757 of 14,596
Yes, I can also find that in the combination Amp 11 MK1 and Mest MK2. It really gives the impression of being yelled at by the singer. That is really too much !! Nora Jones e.g. sounds particularly bad when you hear louder. But nice to hear that it gets better with Amp 12. Hopefully I can buy it here in Vietnam soon. Thank you for the information
Yeah, i have this shouty vocals too. Plz iBasso, fix this with the next software.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #6,759 of 14,596
Yeah, i have this shouty vocals too. Plz iBasso, fix this with the next software.

Do you hear "shouty" vocals using Mest MKII with DX300 and amp11 relative to pioneer 300r? I just tried MKII with DX300, LPGT, SP2000, P6 Pro, playing the same track, and don't hear vocals presentation to be shouty at all. Of course, these DAPs have some variation in tonality based on different dac/amps, but it is not shouty to my ears. Wonder if you just used to your pioneer 300r which might have a recessed presentation of vocals?

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #6,760 of 14,596
hmm.. I don't exp shouty or fwd mid, using my IEM, Earbud (Midcentric) or headphone...

yet I found SE180 can give better vocal exp then my AMP11Mk1. with my cans...
but not shouty...

AMP12 vocal is more clean and assertive, for me...

Attachments

• 20210611_143057.jpg
    20210611_143057.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #6,761 of 14,596
Do you hear "shouty" vocals using Mest MKII with DX300 and amp11 relative to pioneer 300r? I just tried MKII with DX300, LPGT, SP2000, P6 Pro, playing the same track, and don't hear vocals presentation to be shouty at all. Of course, these DAPs have some variation in tonality based on different dac/amps, but it is not shouty to my ears. Wonder if you just used to your pioneer 300r which might have a recessed presentation of vocals?
I'm using Beyer Xelento and i don't find vocals on pioneer recessed. I mean everything is better on the dx300 but i meant the control of the vocals. On the pioneer vocals are more focused, kept together with other frequencies. On the dx300 they are of course more life like but they get unbearable when i turn up the volume. This is actually the only issue which i have with iBasso.

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #6,762 of 14,596
hmm.. I don't exp shouty or fwd mid, using my IEM, Earbud (Midcentric) or headphone...

yet I found SE180 can give better vocal exp then my AMP11Mk1. with my cans...
but not shouty...

AMP12 vocal is more clean and assertive, for me...
How would you compare both devices in terms of sound quality?

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #6,763 of 14,596
I think it's just the fact that im used to the sound of sabre. Dx300 is darker, more natural and paints the canvas with a bit darker colors and every higher frequency stands out with higher contrast. This creates deeper sound. I compared them again and pioneer is actually way more annoying in the heights. Seems like my ears got confused from 8h listening session:)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #6,764 of 14,596
I'm using Beyer Xelento and i don't find vocals on pioneer recessed. I mean everything is better on the dx300 but i meant the control of the vocals. On the pioneer vocals are more focused, kept together with other frequencies. On the dx300 they are of course more life like but they get unbearable when i turn up the volume. This is actually the only issue which i have with iBasso.
The amp 12 has definitely helped in the vocal regard- I had the same issue. Another recommendation is a 20ohm adapter- I've yet to try that one, but I remember reading it in someone's review that it was able to push the vox a little back to create a bit of a darker tone.

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #6,765 of 14,596
Yeah, I don't hear recessed mids either, though, of course, the sound will be relative to pair up synergy and the original sound sig of earphones/headphones under test. Maybe for some it is just a perception due to a difference between fuller body more musical mids in amp12 vs more transparent and revealing mids in amp11?
I find the middle representation very emphasized, especially the voices. Too much for my taste. That's why I have a question for Twister 6. Do you have the Amp 12 and can you describe your impressions with Mest MKII? So with Dx 300 Amp 11 MKI I also find that you tend to scream with some pieces, especially when the volume is higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back