iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jun 16, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #6,556 of 14,596
Amp12 ordered sunday at Hi-fi passion and received today by DHL :thumbsup::thumbsup:
First listening without any burn in is already great!! better soundstage than AMP11 mkII, is it possible?? yeahh!!
IMG_1275.jpg

Ready to burn in :L3000:

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #6,557 of 14,596
Amp12 ordered sunday at Hi-fi passion and received today by DHL :thumbsup::thumbsup:
First listening without any burn in is already great!! better soundstage than AMP11 mkII, is it possible?? yeahh!!
IMG_1275.jpg
Ready to burn in :L3000:
Welcome to the club!! I still don’t recommend the burn in dongle. It is best to burn in with your own buds or headphones. Something that has varied impedance by frequencies :)

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #6,559 of 14,596
Jun 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #6,560 of 14,596
So why do iBasso supply the dongle? and how does "varied impedance by frequencies" help to burning in a ss amp card?... https://giphy.com/gifs/work-guy-mother-oKdjMdWXl9ys8
Some things are a constant ohms load, so the dongle does work and works for burn in but, speakers and by extension, since headphones etc., are a type of speaker, vary in impedance so the demand on the caps vary. This will cause the chemical make up and other materials to be worked, and thus allowing them to form faster. I will burn in, and after a few days, turn off the device for 4 to 5 hours. This helps the caps form faster than being constantly on.

A cap no longer made, the Black Gate, does better, once formed, having a charge on it all the time and will loose much of the forming when left off for some time. That is one reason some really liked them and some, not knowing how to work with them, did not. I still have some nice NOS and what is also interesting about the Black Gate is their shelf life. So far, after years, they have not deteriorated like many electrolytic will do. They maintain excellent ESR, very low leakage and after being formed, capacitance is close to as rated.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #6,561 of 14,596
Some things are a constant ohms load, so the dongle does work and works for burn in but, speakers and by extension, since headphones etc., are a type of speaker, vary in impedance so the demand on the caps vary. This will cause the chemical make up and other materials to be worked, and thus allowing them to form faster. I will burn in, and after a few days, turn off the device for 4 to 5 hours. This helps the caps form faster than being constantly on.

So same result, just having headphones/IEMs plugged in gets you there faster?

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #6,562 of 14,596
I think so. But I like using the dongle as I am not putting wear and tear on my phones etc.

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #6,564 of 14,596
It won’t exactly be the same, since impedances works both ways. It could be a load on the output and it could also be a resistances on the load devices itself. Just imagine working out with a bicycle. You will work out differently on a steep and hills rather than a flat road, and so does the bearing, and the wearing of the mechanical of the bike ?

anyways, it is just me. But as long as there is a load to work on for the burn in then you are fine

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #6,565 of 14,596
It won’t exactly be the same, since impedances works both ways. It could be a load on the output and it could also be a resistances on the load devices itself. Just imagine working out with a bicycle. You will work out differently on a steep and hills rather than a flat road, and so does the bearing, and the wearing of the mechanical of the bike ?

anyways, it is just me. But as long as there is a load to work on for the burn in then you are fine

Based on that train of thought, would it make sense to change the volume and/or gain of the DX300 throughout the burn-in processs when using the dongle? Would those variances have a similar effect? Like have the volume at 55 High gain one day, 80 Low gain the next, etc

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #6,566 of 14,596
Based on that train of thought, would it make sense to change the volume and/or gain of the DX300 throughout the burn-in processs when using the dongle? Would those variances have a similar effect? Like have the volume at 55 High gain one day, 80 Low gain the next, etc
Unlikely as the impedance from headphones and output circuitry are frequencies based which is then based on the architectural of the amplifications and it implementations. So, if anyone cares enough, even the genres of music being used as a burn in would also effect it. However, that is a little too exaggerating. So, the best way to burn in IMO is to connect a cheap earbuds and play your favorite library....not white noises or pink noises

The gain level is only one of the controlling circuit for the whole assembly from a voltage supply by itself

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #6,567 of 14,596
Some things are a constant ohms load, so the dongle does work and works for burn in but, speakers and by extension, since headphones etc., are a type of speaker, vary in impedance so the demand on the caps vary. This will cause the chemical make up and other materials to be worked, and thus allowing them to form faster
Faster? Ok but anyone graphed the difference if there is one between a slow dongle burn in v’s a “fast”varied burn in and at the end of the day is there any real sonic differences/ benefits?..yes stuff like R2R Dac’s do burn in and are better left on like tube amps etc but ss amp cards?

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #6,568 of 14,596
Faster? Ok but anyone graphed the difference if there is one between a slow dongle burn in v’s a “fast”varied burn in and at the end of the day is there any real sonic differences/ benefits?..yes stuff like R2R Dac’s do burn in and are better left on like tube amps etc but ss amp cards?
Tubes in amps have a very finite life. They are something I would not leave on. Only very special circuits and tubes can endure being left on, with some lasting over 60 years but those aren't in tube amps. :^) I do like a tube amp to warm up for about an hour before use, so everything stabilizes in the circuit. But unless I plan on listen/using the amp/amps again in an hour or so, they are turned off. Also, other things can happen in a tube circuit that can do a lot of damage, so better that they are attended to vs leaving on and going out or not being around them.

Jun 16, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #6,570 of 14,596
Tubes in amps have a very finite life. They are something I would not leave on. Only very special circuits and tubes can endure being left on, with some lasting over 60 years but those aren't in tube amps. :^) I do like a tube amp to warm up for about an hour before use, so everything stabilizes in the circuit. But unless I plan on listen/using the amp/amps again in an hour or so, they are turned off. Also, other things can happen in a tube circuit that can do a lot of damage, so better that they are attended to vs leaving on and going out or not being around them.
Sorry my bad men
Sorry that came out a bit wrong lol…
meant R2R dac’s are better left on and burn in like tube amps 🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back