iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #6,541 of 14,596
Why risk it.
No one wants to, hence us asking if Paul can confirm :)

It's good to know for those of us who want to use the DX300 as a source for desktop amps, many of which are single ended (particularly many of the good tube ones).

Original stock amp doesn't have true LO so that could be a bottleneck.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #6,542 of 14,596
In the meanwhile, for those who wants to connect their AMP12 to an XLR input amplifier, I got the ifi cable and it has the ground connection. I just need to receive my AMP12 now:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/4-4mm-to-xlr-cable/

1623787516305.png

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #6,543 of 14,596
thanks.
i guess i'm not understanding how to use the app properly (despite the "how do I use this app" button!). i.e., i don't see how to search for the apple music beta app. don't ant to clog this thread for that, tho. happy to wait for the official release
thanky you
@twister6 @Kiats
for anyone interested in trying the beta, here's what I did:
-downloaded the apkmirror app from apkpure; this effectively acts as an extraction tool (in my layperson's terms)
-downloaded the beta version of the app from the apkmirror website; then opened the downloaded software and let the apkmirror "extract"

Not sure if I did that correctly or not but I am def running v3.6 beta and it seems to be working just fine.

Hope that helps others

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #6,545 of 14,596
RE: DX300 Line out

- i am not qualified to comment. Adding some extra information that someone with more expertise may be able to utilize.

The iBasso DX220 Max came with a 4.4mm to 3.5mm cable for connecting to an amp.

That answers the question then, at least for the DX220Max. They would use the ground and the R and L positive and not connect the negative R and L. Some amp circuits do fine with this.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #6,546 of 14,596
Very cool! I’m looking forward to giving it a try when I get home. Thanks guys for the heads up! I’ve been waiting for this, I have Qobuz and Apple Music so I’m interested in how they compare. I’m on an annual sub for Qobuz, maybe I can drop it at renewal. Same with Tidal, I have that to but I’m going to let it go.

One anchor that may keep me with Qobuz is UAPP compatibility- it’s great that it works so well with Qobuz and I can also access my files on the memory card with it to.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #6,548 of 14,596
I’ve got the Apple Music beta installed, but I don’t see the option to adjust audio quality anywhere (I did find it on my iPhone).

Maybe it’s only live for some users or just some regions (I’m in Canada).
There are 3 versions on APKmirror. Use the latest one. You should then see the option under audio quality.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #6,549 of 14,596
There are 3 versions on APKmirror. Use the latest one. You should then see the option under audio quality.
Yes @vanhalen26 it’s different than on an iOS device. For android, the option is within the apple Music app itself - top right of the screen when you’re in the app, click on the 3 dots, then settings, then you should see audio quality as @Kiats said.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #6,550 of 14,596
Yes @vanhalen26 it’s different than on an iOS device. For android, the option is within the apple Music app itself - top right of the screen when you’re in the app, click on the 3 dots, then settings, then you should see audio quality as @Kiats said.
Thx, turns out I installed an older version of 3.6.0 beta. I just installed the most recent and the option was there. Now to check it out!

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #6,551 of 14,596
Ok, did some brief tests. Apple Music sounds very good, but the library is a bit of a mess and hit and miss. Hopefully that gets cleaned up as rolls out.

Ive uploaded a ton of albums into Apple Music and they were mp3s at the time. Now Apple Music has some of them in lossless but served me the mp3 version unless I delete the MP3 one I loaded into the library and then add the Apple lossless version. That’s going to be a pain but I can correct it over time.

The library isnt playing nice when I delete the old and add a replacement from Apple Music - works about half the time. Hopefully it gets better.

Also the lossless and high res selections trails Qobuz but they are still in launch mode so nothing unexpected there.

Anyways - what’s on topic for this forum is it sounded very good to my old ears on the DX300!

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #6,552 of 14,596
Ok, did some brief tests. Apple Music sounds very good, but the library is a bit of a mess and hit and miss. Hopefully that gets cleaned up as rolls out.

Ive uploaded a ton of albums into Apple Music and they were mp3s at the time. Now Apple Music has some of them in lossless but served me the mp3 version unless I delete the MP3 one I loaded into the library and then add the Apple lossless version. That’s going to be a pain but I can correct it over time.

The library isnt playing nice when I delete the old and add a replacement from Apple Music - works about half the time. Hopefully it gets better.

Also the lossless and high res selections trails Qobuz but they are still in launch mode so nothing unexpected there.

Anyways - what’s on topic for this forum is it sounded very good to my old ears on the DX300!
Indeed. As indicated in their launch message, they will progressively be replacing all the lossy music with lossless. So that is within expectations. Considering how large their library of music is, that is not surprising.

Yes, some may have different expectations, but frankly I think Apple Music does a great job with the music. I do find them to sound excellent. And remember, there is no extra cost to your normal subscription. Will be interesting to see what Spotify decides to do (not that we have heard anything from them at all), and how Tidal subscribers (or would be subscribers) take to this new option.

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #6,553 of 14,596
Indeed. As indicated in their launch message, they will progressively be replacing all the lossy music with lossless. So that is within expectations. Considering how large their library of music is, that is not surprising.

Yes, some may have different expectations, but frankly I think Apple Music does a great job with the music. I do find them to sound excellent. And remember, there is no extra cost to your normal subscription. Will be interesting to see what Spotify decides to do (not that we have heard anything from them at all), and how Tidal subscribers (or would be subscribers) take to this new option.
I was noticing a lot of albums that are lossless on iOS are still aac on the android beta. Sure it’ll get sorted.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #6,554 of 14,596
Would like to page Dr. @Paul - iBasso on this question as well please :)

Haven't been able to find a straight answer on threads - most say balanced output to single ended input is a no-no, but others point to 4.4mm possibly not having an issue with that due to the 5th pin for grounding (or something along those lines), but also depends on implementation?
I tried the ddHifi DJ30A with IEMs and it works fine, not sure if is ok on amp.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #6,555 of 14,596
I was noticing a lot of albums that are lossless on iOS are still aac on the android beta. Sure it’ll get sorted.
For some of them, it’s a labeling issue. The album page does not suggest it is lossless but when you open up and play the tracks, it is indeed lossless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back