iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #4,411 of 14,596
Could I check whether you tested Qobuz last year against Tidal Hifi or Master?

If you tested Master, was the test with DAC level, working, MQA hardware support?
Yes, right, it was last year...on R8 , I think. It should be masters.

Frankly it is not the only reason why I prefer Qobuz over Tidal: Qobuz has a better pay rate for artists than Tidal. In the end, many artists earn peanuts from streaming services and buying the album (like from Bandcamp) is the best way to support them. If there is no Bandcamp page, I buy it from Qobuz.

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #4,412 of 14,596
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #4,415 of 14,596
I'm currently using 4x 63V 470uF and 2x 100V 220uF Silmic IIs. Higher voltage versions sound better than 16V versions. However those are way too large to fit without removing the battery & top half of the stock case. 16V 22uF Silmic IIs are gauranteed to fit every position with the stock battery/case intact, but there's room to replace 3 of the 6 stock electrolytics with 47uF 16V versions instead if you bend the leads on two of them slightly. If you're really creative you may be able to fit larger versions.

I bought the 5,500 mAh battery on Ebay. With the increased power draw from the Burson V6s and the much larger caps it provides around 5.5 hours of juice. I also bought a 10,000 mAh version but its double the weight and much larger, so I'd recommend 5,500 mAh because its the same size & shape as the stock B4-X and sits underneath nicely:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Qu...028564?hash=item263d8735d4:g:i5YAAOSwb5VfxGCq

Here's how it looks, very much "in progress". The small circuit at the back is a Belleson 12V super regulator. My soldering skills won't be winning awards anytime soon. :smile:

1.jpg2.jpg
Im the King of overkill and this has my seal of approval.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #4,416 of 14,596
Feb 25, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #4,418 of 14,596
Did you decide what to replace it with? At least between M15 and R8, I would recommend the R8. Had both.

I went for a Shanling M8 for a number of reasons but apart from the obvious high quality sound and construction, the main 2 were -

It is a full MQA decoder and not just a MQA renderer.

It has the phones port on the top of the player whilst having the USB-C port on the bottom. I prefer this layout because it gives you the ability to dock the player in a stand/dock whilst charging and listening at the same time.

Oh plus - It doesn't have the stupid volume/power button issue hopefully :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #4,419 of 14,596
I went for a Shanling M8 for a number of reasons but apart from the obvious high quality sound and construction, the main 2 were -

It is a full MQA decoder and not just a MQA renderer.

It has the phones port on the top of the player whilst having the USB-C port on the bottom. I prefer this layout because it gives you the ability to dock the player in a stand/dock whilst charging and listening at the same time.
Yes, very well constructed and great sound but in comparing the two, there is a little preference for me, for the DX300. Both would be nice to have, with just wanting one, after comparing, I have stayed with the DX300 and the DX220Max. The USB C port I prefer at the top. Individual preferences at this level. Nice to have a choice.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #4,420 of 14,596
They are as extinct as the Dinosaur themselves lol!!
That is why I have a nice reserve of NOS BGs. Saw it coming and nothing has equaled a burned in BG.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #4,421 of 14,596
That is why I have a nice reserve of NOS BGs. Saw it coming and nothing has equaled a burned in BG.
Ever compared them to Audio Note electrolytics or Silmic IIs? Very curious to hear your thoughts if you have.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #4,422 of 14,596
Please tell me you have some in the Dx300 :wink:
Ever compared them to Audio Note electrolytics or Silmic IIs? Very curious to hear your thoughts if you have.
I have and it is all about personal preferences. Though, I have no more BG caps, which I may stock up some for reserves ? But who know....they are expensive like heck

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #4,423 of 14,596
Yes, used SIlmics for years, great in the analog section but BG gives more. Audio Note still says that the BGs are the best. But as noted, they haven't been available for a long time. Audio Note bought 1000s of BGs before they were gone from the market.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #4,424 of 14,596
Please tell me you have some in the Dx300 :wink:

I have and it is all about personal preferences. Though, I have no more BG caps, which I may stock up some for reserves ? But who know....they are expensive like heck
I haven't. I want to hear all that the DX300 has to offer and changes caps would not do that.

I bought mine when they went on discount, places blowing them out. I figured it was a no brainer at that point. Now they are very, very hard to find and many fake ones. I bought mine from totally reputable sources and again, when they were still around. I have kept them in excellent storage and when testing, they form nice and show the correct uF, low leakage and good ESR.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #4,425 of 14,596
Black gate is very nice and also very hard to seek for. But IMO, it is all about the Signatures and blending of choices, not just brands alone. This is pretty much acoustic tuning. Silmic II, Cerafine, AudioNote and BG are all excellent performers for sure

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back