iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #4,396 of 14,609
Today my new TPU case finally arrived. It is available in two choices, and this is smoke - the Premium option. Naturally you'll want an impression vs the stock leather case.

The first thing you notice is the blacker background. After that a smoother texture becomes apparent, along with superior grip and control. The entire presentation seems more rigid & stable, though stage width is fairly similar. However you'll definitely notice more detail, especially at the rear where every granule of the logo is beautifully displayed. Without the distracting blue border the screen's contrast feels improved as album graphics seem to leap out at you. Yes I do notice tiny details along the edge of the stage a tad more, but that doesn't mean pixels in the center are recessed - they just don't feel as overwhelming now.

Overall a splendid 9.5/10 purchase. I recommend avoiding the clear version however, it may be excessively airy.

IMG_3944.JPG

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002099962793.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.252f4c4ddm5TDn

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #4,397 of 14,609
Today my new TPU case finally arrived. It is available in two choices, and this is smoke - the Premium option. Naturally you'll want an impression vs the stock leather case.

The first thing you notice is the blacker background. After that a smoother texture becomes apparent, along with superior grip and control. The entire presentation seems more rigid & stable, though stage width is fairly similar. However you'll definitely notice more detail, especially at the rear where every granule of the logo is beautifully displayed. Without the distracting blue border the screen's contrast feels improved as album graphics seem to leap out at you. Yes I do notice tiny details along the edge of the stage a tad more, but that doesn't mean pixels in the center are recessed - they just don't feel as overwhelming now.

Overall a splendid 9.5/10 purchase. I recommend avoiding the clear version however, it may be excessively airy.

IMG_3944.JPG

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002099962793.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.252f4c4ddm5TDn
Exacltly what i was thinking. It does not colour the source too.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #4,398 of 14,609
Exacltly what i was thinking. It does not colour the source too.
In all seriousness I've been quite surprised by the quality of this little case.

My past experiences with TPU cases have not been favorable as they've usually had a kind of tacky or sticky feeling to the touch much like Sedna Xelastec eartips that's rather objectionable, however this one handles like smooth plastic with just the right amount of grip.

So good in fact my hankering to don the DX300 in Dignis has genuinely dissipated, if not disappeared. Considering I expected the TPU case to be merely a stop-gap solution this comes as a welcome surprise.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #4,400 of 14,609
You're still going to get Dignis though - right?
Depends if it has a semi-hollow cutout rear panel like the AK SR25 Dignis case, I don’t find that section particularly comfortable to hold despite acknowledging it looks terrific.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #4,401 of 14,609
I didn't at first but it is easy. Just buy some debonder and run it around the edge. It is like water and runs right between the glass and the case and softens the glue. Very easy. Then the heat on the back for the double side tape. I didn't glue the edges back, just used the double sided tape so to open it again, super easy. And it all fits flush.
Would you mind doing a video of that? (Not that i'm taking it apart any time soon)
Did you take photo's of the inside? (i d like to see what fpga they used)

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #4,402 of 14,609
Anyone else missing the fact that there is no system wide equalizer?
I would also like to see a system wide solution so all apss can work at max sample rate and with mqa.

Oh and while im dreaming some way to import hrtf measurements in that equalizer and some virtual surround processor.
I think that's where the future breaktroughs are gonne be. Apple gets that with its Airpox Max.
And in my opinion daps will become obsolete if they do not inovate now that there processors are up to snuff.

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #4,404 of 14,609
Anyone else missing the fact that there is no system wide equalizer?
I would also like to see a system wide solution so all apss can work at max sample rate and with mqa.

Oh and while im dreaming some way to import hrtf measurements in that equalizer and some virtual surround processor.
I think that's where the future breaktroughs are gonne be. Apple gets that with its Airpox Max.
And in my opinion daps will become obsolete if they do not inovate now that there processors are up to snuff.

Surprise, surprise... DSP processing (EQ, convolution, spatialization) is done outside of the DAC but MQA processing is partly inside the DAC, so what you are asking for is not possible if you do not take the DAC processing of MQA completely out and that would mean the DAC chip companies included MQA related components for nothing.

And this is one of the reasons why MQA is the worst thing that has ever happened in this industry, that should not be supported and avoided like the plague. The device manufacturers need to invest that ridiculous amount of time every time, for every device, and I guess even pay for certification, for no reason at all. That in the end pushes the device prices up.

MQA is a digital plague.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #4,405 of 14,609
Surprise, surprise... DSP processing (EQ, convolution, spatialization) is done outside of the DAC but MQA processing is partly inside the DAC, so what you are asking for is not possible if you do not take the DAC processing of MQA completely out and that would mean the DAC chip companies included MQA related components for nothing.

And this is one of the reasons why MQA is the worst thing that has ever happened in this industry, that should not be supported and avoided like the plague. The device manufacturers need to invest that ridiculous amount of time every time, for every device, and I guess even pay for certification, for no reason at all. That in the end pushes the device prices up.

MQA is a digital plague.
I wouldn't mind that for some dsp functions mqa processing would be turned off or would not work (like with the digital filters now)
Then you have the choice.
I don't know what extra kost the mqa certification added to the device but to me some mqa albums on tidal sound wider (for example R.E.M. New adventures in hifi) in comparrison to the non mqa version. (have not compared to other non mqa hi-res versions tho) So it might be worth it for me.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #4,408 of 14,609
I wouldn't mind that for some dsp functions mqa processing would be turned off or would not work (like with the digital filters now)
Then you have the choice.
I don't know what extra kost the mqa certification added to the device but to me some mqa albums on tidal sound wider (for example R.E.M. New adventures in hifi) in comparrison to the non mqa version. (have not compared to other non mqa hi-res versions tho) So it might be worth it for me.
I don't know what Tidal is doing but I switched from Tidal to Qobuz about 5 years ago and never looked back. I compared them, I think, last year and Qobuz files sounded simply clearer to me. I guess Tidal needs a reason to force people to invest in MQA, as they are the main force pushing and benefiting from MQA.

Otherwise, I also wouldn't mind having a system generic DSP. R8 has one and you can even install plugins, but their programming API is not open. I asked them if they could give the programming API to program a system-wide EQ, but they only gave me the API for the Hiby application and told me that it is a security risk to give me the system level API - which is kind of understandable but I don't understand why they don't provide a real PEQ even though the possibility is there.

That reminds me again that I wanted to try Wavelet on DX300.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #4,409 of 14,609
I know this isn’t usual... but if someone has the AirPods Max... does it benefit from using the DX300??
I have used my wife's AirPods Max with this device in wired mode and, YES, it does benefit from the DX3000. So much so, that she is considering getting a DAP instead of using her iPhone/amp combo.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #4,410 of 14,609
I don't know what Tidal is doing but I switched from Tidal to Qobuz about 5 years ago and never looked back. I compared them, I think, last year and Qobuz files sounded simply clearer to me. I guess Tidal needs a reason to force people to invest in MQA, as they are the main force pushing and benefiting from MQA.
Could I check whether you tested Qobuz last year against Tidal Hifi or Master?

If you tested Master, was the test with DAC level, working, MQA hardware support?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back