iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #3,872 of 14,593
Are you using full 7V "line out "? It seems the dx300 doesn't have a real line out after all

I'm using the DX300 in line out mode at "low" - it likely has three voltage levels ("medium" and "high" increase the volume).

Not sure if it's a real line out - @Whitigir may have looked into it...

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #3,873 of 14,593
About 80 hours on the DX300 now. Bass has become more rounded, but also detailed, if that makes sense. Bigger, fuller sound overall, but upper mids still somewhat “shouty” and still can’t match the cohesive euphonics of the R8 yet, to my ears.
Interesting. I actually find R8 is just pushing mids back. And will more prominent upper treble i just feel like R8 is V shaped. Where as dx300 mids work well with its elevates bass.
For example, yesterday i was A/B both on orchestral music. And DX300 just blows R8 on that genre no sweat. Dx300 warmth combined with exceptional layering gives that sense of depth where you hear all instruments distinctly.

R8 goes for precision. And sounds slightly wider. Its seperation up top is slightly better but it is just missing someting down low. Even with LX, i find it missing something. Drums sound like they are left somewhere outdoor instead of being together with the rest of orchestra.
DX300 gives that weight and coherency. If anything i think signature is more like "n" shape if that makes sense. With upper treble and midbass pushed back a bit.

R8 however produces more micro detail. Has better speed. Its is quite technical. But it feel for me that its not on par with DX300 in depth when it comes to busy tracks.

I need some more time to adjust to R8 ofc and i am not drawing any conclusions yet.
Both Daps are excelent. And i can say now there is no clear winner when it comes to sound IMO.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #3,874 of 14,593
I'm using the DX300 in line out mode at "low" - it likely has three voltage levels ("medium" and "high" increase the volume).

Not sure if it's a real line out - @Whitigir may have looked into it...
I don’t have any confirmations for this, so the only thing I can tell is from the collective statements and my observations

Ibasso stated that these amp modules have the line out totally bypassing the internal amplifications.

I know the only fact is the Max that has the best line out performances.

Both Max and Dx300 has digital volumes, so DAC on Max and volume wheel on 300 will be adjustable

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #3,875 of 14,593
Interesting. I actually find R8 is just pushing mids back. And will more prominent upper treble i just feel like R8 is V shaped. Where as dx300 mids work well with its elevates bass.
For example, yesterday i was A/B both on orchestral music. And DX300 just blows R8 on that genre no sweat. Dx300 warmth combined with exceptional layering gives that sense of depth where you hear all instruments distinctly.

R8 goes for precision. And sounds slightly wider. Its seperation up top is slightly better but it is just missing someting down low. Even with LX, i find it missing something. Drums sound like they are left somewhere outdoor instead of being together with the rest of orchestra.
DX300 gives that weight and coherency. If anything i think signature is more like "n" shape if that makes sense. With upper treble and midbass pushed back a bit.

R8 however produces more micro detail. Has better speed. Its is quite technical. But it feel for me that its not on par with DX300 in depth when it comes to busy tracks.

I need some more time to adjust to R8 ofc and i am not drawing any conclusions yet.
Both Daps are excelent. And i can say now there is no clear winner when it comes to sound IMO.

I am surprised that you find the R8 V shaped. Are you using the turbo mode on R8? It pushes the mids a bit more forward, adds dynamic and subbass. And are you testing with IEMs or HPs?

I don't use IEMs and only full sized HPs so I might have a different experience, but find the bass performance of DX300, from subbass to the mids excellent. I cannot compare the R8 as I don't have it anymore. With this piece with D9200 what I get as bass punch and speed, it is excellent. Also the transparency is top notch (better listen from Qobuz or Tidal).

Try also this:

For sure MAX would be better but DX300 is definitely very satisfactory as a portable solution.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #3,877 of 14,593
Continuing the ”critical listening”.

20210211_225337.jpg
I ”feel” they sound more alike in Mango OS then Android... must be the whisky.

PS: @Paul - iBasso can we please have the black wallpaper back in Mango OS for dx300?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #3,879 of 14,593
Struggling with installing the new firmware :frowning2:
I've unzipped the rar file but no idea what to do next or where to find the new file!

Any help much appreciated. Ideally an idiots step by step guide!
If you have opened the .rar download there will be a folder. Open the folder and there you will find the firmware and instructions.

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #3,883 of 14,593
happy to hear this, thanks as I'm waiting on my dx300 to go with elysium!
As has been said numerous times here - just it give it some time to mesh. At first the combo was brilliant, then it went through a period where I thought it wouldn't work out, and now I have come through the other side. I also find the Elysiums respond very well to switching between software players, gain levels, filters, etc. Fun to dial it in on the DX300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back