iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Oct 23, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #3,856 of 5,022
I love both my 3MAX SS & Ti…. going ‘to and fro‘ between the two to hear differences and evaluating all the time. There are times when one is better than the other. But I feel my Ti still needs more burn in time. Then…. I listen to my N6ii/A02 with C9 playing via Neutron… whoa! Another fabulous combo that always surprises me even going back after the MAX’s. I’ve heard a lot about the SP2000 and will investigate its sound soon. Yes… there also may be a DP3000 around the corner. I need to be careful on that one thought. In addition… it won’t be long until the 3MAX will be released with the new chips perhaps? Never mind my consideration of the new Fiio M17!
Sure, they'll always be new DAPs coming out, the concept of "end-game DAP" is meaningless for as long as high-end components can be further miniaturized. Atm, however, with AK4499EQ discontinued, and a chip manufacturing crisis that may be with us for another year, I wonder what other flagship chips there are for a TOTL contender DAP, aside from ESS.

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #3,857 of 5,022
I don’t think the SP2K can beat the Max driving a full-size headphones such as the HD800s and up. I can understand that the SP2K May sounds better than the MAX on some IEMs though.

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #3,858 of 5,022
I don’t think the SP2K can beat the Max driving a full-size headphones such as the HD800s and up. I can understand that the SP2K May sounds better than the MAX on some IEMs though.

Indeed, it's all about finding the synergy of your preference, especially when it comes to IEMs and other less demanding headphones.

Oct 24, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #3,859 of 5,022
IMO, the modern IEM are stranger than it look, the case in point is that my IeR-Z1R is like totally transformed when plugged in to the 3MTi !! Yes!! Synergies, and also, the power output, together with those discrete components or whatever. It made me thinking that I have always neglected my Z1R, up until now.

So, Synergies, definitely is a key, but I have no doubt that the newer and more complex IEMs will have the benefits from the discrete and clean output stages of the 3MTi!

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #3,860 of 5,022
Since the thread got real active after my post, let me expound further. Anyone that follows my posts or reviews and has read the "about me" on Audio Rabbit Hole knows I have a niche that I look for, I would encourage you to read it so I don't need to regurgitate it for those that have. In a nutshell, while I do not generally carry a DAP outside, for example to walk the dog, I love to experiment with pairings that deliver the best portable experience for my tastes, as opposed to transportable.

I have cycled through a pile of DAPs. I experiment cycling through headphones and IEMs that can be fully driven by my sources. Lots of trial and error and dollars goes into it.

I am glad that everyone recognizes this is about preference. The 3MAX is a wonderful piece of gear. It has more authority than the SP2000, and there is a difference between authority and power. The stage is super big and the sound is dynamic, particularly in Ultimate mode. I have zero remorse in owning the 3Max.

For my specific IEMs and HP's, the SP2000 provides the signature I enjoy the most. It is not solely about signature, the AK UI is one of the most polished on the market. They are expensive and the company is not a crowd favorite because of their business model. I also have an SP2000t incoming.

I generally try to keep a couple of relevant DAPs on hand, I had the R8, DX300 and M8 as well so it goes on and on.

Oct 24, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,863 of 5,022
Sure, they'll always be new DAPs coming out, the concept of "end-game DAP" is meaningless for as long as high-end components can be further miniaturized. Atm, however, with AK4499EQ discontinued, and a chip manufacturing crisis that may be with us for another year, I wonder what other flagship chips there are for a TOTL contender DAP, aside from ESS.
When I can buy a DAP the size and weight of a DX160 with the sound quality of a Sony DMP-z1 and running Android with the speed of a DX300 for under $1000, then that's pretty much end game for me.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #3,869 of 5,022
When I can buy a DAP the size and weight of a DX160 with the sound quality of a Sony DMP-z1 and running Android with the speed of a DX300 for under $1000, then that's pretty much end game for me.
Yeah, yeah, we can all dream that one day... :ksc75smile:. Honestly, though, don't know whether power output components (discrete amp circuits) are as amenable to Moore as digital ones, for this level of miniaturisation to yield proper TOTL sound quality. DAC chips, probably. For me, though, 3Max Ti is end-game atm (given that I also require internet-based apps). I don't even have a portability problem: with a suitable add-on case or mini backpack (nothing too special), I took it along on flights and holidays, to keep up burn-in, and didn't think twice about it. Cost is a consideration, for sure, I won't lie. But then again, truly high-end (even entry high-end) computer equipment (e.g. laptops) don't seem to get any cheaper, despite massive progress in miniaturisation (we are now at 5nm chips), as they keep packing up more and more processing power, connectivity and storage. My EVGA laptop cost $1500 back in 2016 and was not even proper high-end, certainly not TOTL.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #3,870 of 5,022

Users who are viewing this thread

Back