iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 22, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,606 of 3,626
Good point. MAX sounds also more dynamic compared to M15. M15 sounds a bit flatter, though it is a great sounding DAP.
FWIW I think m15 is the best all rounder DAP in the world today. Size, sound,UX, ID, price. FIIO is the one to watch. Wonder how it sounds with Sony ier Z1R. I have been using HPs only. Z1R

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #1,607 of 3,626
I wish iBasso would invest the time to make a proper menu implementation, by removing the items that don't make sense at all and adding shortcuts that makes sense.

Out: Auto rotate, Aeroplane mode, Do not disturb, Location, Hotspot etc.
In: Gain, USB DAC Mode, BT DAC Mode, Filters etc.

Why after several years of working with the same software platform, is it so difficult to implement a simple menu properly?

I had email conversation with Paul last year on this topic, he unfortunately does not see any strong reason to make this implementation :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #1,608 of 3,626
I had email conversation with Paul last year on this topic, he unfortunately does not see any strong reason to make this implementation :frowning2:

The iBasso software platform is _far_ behind the competition, like of FiiO and Hiby which is also entering the market with a product with the fastest and most up-to-date SoC/SW platform. I would at least expect that iBasso would try to make something more appealing in the limits they have and would not appear to customers as if "look, we made something for you, tweak a bit the software and the hardware, and you may end up with with something you like... Sorry, we have more important things to spend our time for". That is really not the attitude to win more customers.

These are not cheap products and we are not receiving them for free to promote or review, but we are spending our hard earned money on them.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #1,609 of 3,626
Ya know, I've been listening to ibasso for about 5 years, I purchased the DX90 in 2015. And I lurked around here for a while before joining. In all that time the whining about ibasso s/w. UI, etc etc has not changed at all. Not so much regarding sound quality though, because they are that good. :deadhorse:

If one likes the competition better then buy them instead.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #1,611 of 3,626
That is pretty much a kind of nationalistic approach to my points: "Love it or leave it". It is enough for me, why is it not enough for you?

It is not whining, it is a pretty simple thing, a feedback from the customer. I am not asking for a non-realistic controller change or a DAC upgrade etc., I am asking either to understand why the unit I paid and bought is behaving in this way, and/or asking for ways to improve my experience in general. You are not the only customer here, also the people that think that simple improvements can improve our experience with a device we paid for. That would simply make the product more appealing, not in the sense that it looks shiny, but rather in the sense that attention was paid to the details, not for a bunch of hardcore fans that would buy and hype about what ever you throw in front of them, but other customers that value the product but see points for improvements. It is as simple as that.

Has anyone telling me "love it or leave it" took a look at the number of returned DX220s sometime after its launch?

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,612 of 3,626
Buy what makes you happy, and do what makes you happy. Differences are the keys to competitions. Also, no reviews will surpass your own experiences, give it a try and listen to your desires.

it's not a vicious aim striving to make your favorite product a perfect product :)

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #1,614 of 3,626
My point is this: Incessant complaining about the same issues, regardless of how eloquently stated, is tedious and non-productive. It's always, my wi-fi, my bluetooth, my streaming, my menu structure, etc etc. It should be obvious to anyone who's spent any time at all on ibasso threads that the reason to buy ibasso is singular, the music. And all that other uhm stuff is secondary. And if you look at the list of my equipment you'll see I have tried and own several others, except Fiio. That's because I tried them once and did not like them. I did not however spend endless hours on their threads talking about how awful they are.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,615 of 3,626
My point is this: Incessant complaining about the same issues, regardless of how eloquently stated, is tedious and non-productive. It's always, my wi-fi, my bluetooth, my streaming, my menu structure, etc etc. It should be obvious to anyone who's spent any time at all on ibasso threads that the reason to buy ibasso is singular, the music. And all that other uhm stuff is secondary. And if you look at the list of my equipment you'll see I have tried and own several others, except Fiio. That's because I tried them once and did not like them. I did not however spend endless hours on their threads talking about how awful they are.

Then, why is it OK for you guys to talk about mods from day one, even have understanding for a pure scammer who claims to improve the sound with a software update, but not for us that bought the product, enjoy most of it and sees room improvement at other points? Is there some other business going on in the background that we don't know?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #1,616 of 3,626
Well, I am not a modder, and I am not a shill for ibasso. I am a mechanic/truck driver who lives in the woods, has a pretty good music and movie library, and enjoys a stimulating conversation from time to time. Any more questions or salacious insinuations? How far can we get before these posts are deleted? And you have never, well never mind.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #1,617 of 3,626
Then, why is it OK for you guys to talk about mods from day one, even have understanding for a pure scammer who claims to improve the sound with a software update, but not for us that bought the product, enjoy most of it and sees room improvement at other points? Is there some other business going on in the background that we don't know?

How does talking about mods compare to complaints?

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,618 of 3,626
How does talking about mods compare to complaints?

- The so called mods are hardware mods, meaning that require hardware modifications on your device that void the warranty. There is apparently a history of it in the iBasso line of products.
a) The claims about the holes in the sound quality came in the very first days, from the same people that believe in the burn-in process without even waiting for where the sound will settle.
b) Around the same time, a name that I am sure to be a scammer has been brought up again.
c) This pretty much makes me feel uncomfortable from the whole process.

- I knew what I am going into, my posts:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...und-reproduction.911378/page-17#post-15278917
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...und-reproduction.911378/page-68#post-15663817

- Now again: When I say that I am seeing something unusual with my product that I paid the full amount and the company just prefers to go silent to my posts or emails, shall I just go silent and accept it? It is ridiculous approach to say "I don't see the need for it" or just "enjoy the music". I am working for mostly software and partly hardware development for about 20 years now, some of which are consumer products. You cannot just say "enjoy the music" and get away with the product you put on the market and continue advertising about it. Doing this is a bad attitude towards your customers. Sorry, that point is the point you are running away from your customer and responsibilities. And I am pretty annoyed about this point:

a) I asked about why I see this difference in the connection, and asked if it could be the country code. A simple response like "sorry, unfortunately the shielding requirements affects the performance. For the country code, we will take a look" would suffice. But nothing.

b) At that point, I feel ignored and annoyed as a customer. And bring up a point which I believe does not need a huge effort to adjust. I am not asking for a new controller or DAC. Some simple menu adjustment to make it more user friendly - which apparently did not only come from me. A simple answer like "that is doable", or "we will look into it", or "this is not doable because of..." would bring it back on the track between the company and the customer - me.

And what if I bought this product with my savings and I am not even able to return it??? It is not cheap, not many folks around you are lucky and fortunate enough to say "whatever". You cannot get away with this situation by just saying "well, it has always been like this around here".

This is not how it works, ladies and gentlemen.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,619 of 3,626
- The so called mods are hardware mods, meaning that require hardware modifications on your device that void the warranty. There is apparently a history of it in the iBasso line of products.
a) The claims about the holes in the sound quality came in the very first days, from the same people that believe in the burn-in process without even waiting for where the sound will settle.
b) Around the same time, a name that I am sure to be a scammer has been brought up again.
c) This pretty much makes me feel uncomfortable from the whole process.

- I knew what I am going into, my posts:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...und-reproduction.911378/page-17#post-15278917
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...und-reproduction.911378/page-68#post-15663817

- Now again: When I say that I am seeing something unusual with my product that I paid the full amount and the company just prefers to go silent to my posts or emails, shall I just go silent and accept it? It is ridiculous approach to say "I don't see the need for it" or just "enjoy the music". I am working for mostly software and partly hardware development for about 20 years now, some of which are consumer products. You cannot just say "enjoy the music" and get away with the product you put on the market and continue advertising about it. Doing this is a bad attitude towards your customers. Sorry, that point is the point you are running away from your customer and responsibilities. And I am pretty annoyed about this point:

a) I asked about why I see this difference in the connection, and asked if it could be the country code. A simple response like "sorry, unfortunately the shielding requirements affects the performance. For the country code, we will take a look" would suffice. But nothing.

b) At that point, I feel ignored and annoyed as a customer. And bring up a point which I believe does not need a huge effort to adjust. I am not asking for a new controller or DAC. Some simple menu adjustment to make it more user friendly - which apparently did not only come from me. A simple answer like "that is doable", or "we will look into it", or "this is not doable because of..." would bring it back on the track between the company and the customer - me.

And what if I bought this product with my savings and I am not even able to return it??? It is not cheap, not many folks around you are lucky and fortunate enough to say "whatever". You cannot get away with this situation by just saying "well, it has always been like this around here".

This is not how it works, ladies and gentlemen.
I think you spend more time complaining than listening to music. I have been using the DX220Max every day. No issues with using it, the volume control or software. I have many other players and they don't really work any better and the sound of the Max is better than anything else I have.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,620 of 3,626

I think you spend more time complaining than listening to music. I have been using the DX220Max every day. No issues with using it, the volume control or software. I have many other players and they don't really work any better and the sound of the Max is better than anything else I have.

Most of my posts were not about complaints but to reply the people like you telling to get the hell out of here, if I have any complaints. To my first post about my WIFI connection, the first replies were "if you don't like it, just get out, find yourself another player", before even telling me anything that is productive and supportive.

My posts, which resulted in a gentle recommendation for finding a new DAP. They are not even complaints but I am trying to find out what is happening, sharing my results with you:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...und-reproduction.911378/page-92#post-15677882
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...und-reproduction.911378/page-95#post-15680709
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...und-reproduction.911378/page-95#post-15681949

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back