iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #1,413 of 3,626
Is this one volume control system? You have an analog volume knob and also volume control inside the screen.
Are those same or separate?

What is displayed there is the digital volume control of the DAC. I think it would be a good idea to completely remove the volume level from the screen and only keep it in the menu, as it might be confusing for users.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #1,414 of 3,626
What is displayed there is the digital volume control of the DAC. I think it would be a good idea to completely remove the volume level from the screen and only keep it in the menu, as it might be confusing for users.

I only use Neutron player and rarely use Mango player so I don't know if the Mango has the volume control as well.
When I use the remote with Neutron there's volume level going up and you could also control on the screen.
So I am still confused having two control. I like to keep one stagnant (knob) and only use the remote to control the volume.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #1,415 of 3,626
Here is the video of very slow 2.4GHz WIFI connection. Initially I am connected to a 5GHz network and it is pretty good with several MB/s. Then I connect to a 2.4GHz network and Qobuz import is much slower.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #1,416 of 3,626
I only use Neutron player and rarely use Mango player so I don't know if the Mango has the volume control as well.
When I use the remote with Neutron there's volume level going up and you could also control on the screen.
So I am still confused having two control. I like to keep one stagnant (knob) and only use the remote to control the volume.

You saw my previously posted videos using BT remotes to control MAX, right? The remote volume control only changes output of the dac. If you think about the headphone output of MAX, it has a 2-layer volume control - first, dac's digital output and then analog volume knob. You can adjust remotely or from Android (widgets or settings) the 1st layer digital volume which is your dac "pre-amp" output. Then, you have to adjust manually the amplifier (2nd layer) volume using analog knob.

That specific volume knob on MAX is pure analog, like in a desktop hardware equipment. From my understanding, there is no digital part to control its movement remotely or to monitor its position to display volume on the screen. That's where the confusion comes from.

Typically, in daps you have a digital headphone output volume control, here it is analog. And typically, in many daps a pure dac output is fixed or has a few preset voltage levels since the intent is to feed its output to external amp which going to control the volume with its own analog knob. And I say "typically", but nothing is set in stone and there are variations.

Here, ibasso combined the best of both worlds, giving you more flexibility and control, in a digital/analog hybrid way. But it also made it a bit awkward for some because we are so used to traditional ways of "digital audio players".

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,417 of 3,626

It is always good to be aware of the background of what we are talking about...

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,418 of 3,626
Can anyone compare the Max against the Kann Cube? I'm loving the Cube but super curious about the Max.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,419 of 3,626
Over 400 hours now on the Max. I hear changes, especially to bass quality and quantity. I would make no changes to the Max until you have many hours on it, or you have not really understood the Max and what it sounds like.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,421 of 3,626
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,422 of 3,626
Jun 16, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,425 of 3,626
Here is the video of very slow 2.4GHz WIFI connection. Initially I am connected to a 5GHz network and it is pretty good with several MB/s. Then I connect to a 2.4GHz network and Qobuz import is much slower.

I made some measurements for the WIFI. As said, 2.4 GHz network is pretty unstable and slow. MAX was at 2.09 Mbps @ 2.4GHz and 32.1 Mbps @ 5GHz, meaning it is about 15X slower. This has nothing to do with the inherent bandwidth of the networks but is an apparent issue to clarify. Interestingly the upload speed is higher.

The fact that I had to change my router settings for MAX to connect to the 5GHz network is also another issue to clarify, which, I suspect to be related to the country code of the WIFI component.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back