iBasso DX200 Firmware Modification Project
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #121 of 331
For my Lexus GX470 I'm currently using the DX200 via mini toslink into a Helix DSP Pro which I control with the Helix Director Module. The Helix feed 2 JL HD600 and a HD1200 amps. I have a 3 way set up in the front using Audiofrog GB60, GB40 and GB10 plus GS62 fills in the rear doors. Those 8 speakers are run by the twin HD600 amps in an active set. The HD1200 powers a GB12D4 sub in a sealed enclosure. It has a great, clean sound. The difference between the DX80 and the stock Head Unit (which is still hooked up and usable) was immediately noticeable. After a good long burn in, 400+ hours the difference was night and day.
Upon first trying the DX200, I hated the lack of midbass as compared to the DX80 in the same set up. After 400+ hours of burning in the sound on the DX200 has really opened up and tightened up while the highs are bright but not brash. Amazing difference that the proper burn in makes. The DX200 will definitely be staying as my "go to" audio player. The DX80 is being retired or used at work now I'd guess.
So I'm most excited about your Upgraded Purist rom. The sound in my car is already amazing, with this upgrade I'll prolly be burning even more gas driving around with a huge grin blasting Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, AC/DC, Sam Cooke, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, Herbie Hancock, etc

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #122 of 331
Digital does matter since it's all about electronic current flowing around instead of 0s and 1s. That's why firmware improvements can also improve sound quality significantly. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #123 of 331
Digital does matter since it's all about electronic current flowing around instead of 0s and 1s. That's why firmware improvements can also improve sound quality significantly. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Don't you mean Analog? Digital is 0s and 1s.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #124 of 331
Don't you mean Analog? Digital is 0s and 1s.

I mean digital. I haven't seen any 0 or 1 number floating on digital cables before. Well, you have your right to disagree since people can perceive and understand differently.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #125 of 331
I mean digital. I haven't seen any 0 or 1 number floating on digital cables before. Well, you have your right to disagree since people can perceive and understand differently.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Isn't it correct to say that when using a device as a transport, the digital output is all 0s and 1s through the cable prior to arrival at a suitable DAC???

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #126 of 331
Isn't it correct to say that when using a device as a transport, the digital output is all 0s and 1s through the cable prior to arrival at a suitable DAC???

It's incorrect. In digital output, data is sent out with two different forms either sine wave or square wave as electric current no different from analog signal. They may have encapsulation and modulation to intepret decoded signal as 0 or 1 but there's also time domain that makes difference in decoded analog signal after quantization.

For example with 16/44.1 stereo, data is sent with 1411 kilobits per second. That means 1,411,200 of 0 and 1 pulse second sent in one second, it's about half of a nano second for every 0 and 1 sent out. Decoder will modulate pulse signal for every 1/44100 second meaning every 22.675737 micro second. Of course machine can't send exactly the the exact same intervals like every half nano second or so causing timing variation in quantization. That's what we call jitter.

The effect of jitter will cause frequency distortion affecting audio signal after decoded to analog. Some people can perceive such distortion differently with different qualities of equipment and experience. So digital output isn't all about 0 and 1 alone. There's also timing and distortion in effects which can be minimized by improving hardware/software implementation and fine-tuning. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #128 of 331
I don't have such issue with my music collection. But sometimes playing from folder has strange ordering with untagged files.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #131 of 331
  finally, i got it working on my unit after several tries. the culprit is in my pocket.

so far i enjoying the 2.0 fidelizer.

Thanks Windows X!

Glad to hear you like it. :)

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #132 of 331
are there differences in detail between low and high gain, single ended and balanced output?

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #133 of 331
are there differences in detail between low and high gain, single ended and balanced output?

There is.  Higher gain will have more amplification multiplier for driving higher impedance headphones.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #134 of 331
First off, thanks to Keetakawee for taking time to make these upgrades. I'm enjoying the Advanced Purist set up on my DX200, it's a bit different from the standard Purist release so it took me a bit of listening to appreciate it fully.
1 thing I would like to see is the forward/back buttons returned to standard configuration, if possible.
Also, I've noticed my PC won't recognize the DX200 while in Mango mode. Even though there are options in Mango for reader - DAC - DAP, my PC refuses to recognize the DX200 at all. Upon switching to Android system and entering that version of Mango player the PC will recognize the DX200 normally. Have any other users noticed this ?
I want to add that though i'm no expert on Digital Audio or the players of such, I am a music fan and listen everyday to music. One thing I picked out the other day was at the very beginning of "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac before the first guitar notes start, Stevie Nicks hums/sings a little melody that the guitar picks up on when it comes in. Must have heard that song 10,000 times since it came out in 1977 and never noticed that faint melodic vocal before the DX200 and your upgrade.
The DX200 to me is a phenomenal piece of hardware. I don't even use the WiFi or Blutooth or stream anything, doing so adds a whole realm of use for those who want it as well. To me it's awesome sound is a clear cut above anything that I've heard before and the unit itself is built well and attractive with a great interface that will only be improved on in the future.
Anyone on the fence about the DX200, just get one - it will impress you after it's properly burned in.
The same thing goes for trying the Purist upgrade, try the free one first and be your own judge.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #135 of 331
First off, thanks to Keetakawee for taking time to make these upgrades. I'm enjoying the Advanced Purist set up on my DX200, it's a bit different from the standard Purist release so it took me a bit of listening to appreciate it fully.
1 thing I would like to see is the forward/back buttons returned to standard configuration, if possible.
Also, I've noticed my PC won't recognize the DX200 while in Mango mode. Even though there are options in Mango for reader - DAC - DAP, my PC refuses to recognize the DX200 at all. Upon switching to Android system and entering that version of Mango player the PC will recognize the DX200 normally. Have any other users noticed this ?
I want to add that though i'm no expert on Digital Audio or the players of such, I am a music fan and listen everyday to music. One thing I picked out the other day was at the very beginning of "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac before the first guitar notes start, Stevie Nicks hums/sings a little melody that the guitar picks up on when it comes in. Must have heard that song 10,000 times since it came out in 1977 and never noticed that faint melodic vocal before the DX200 and your upgrade.
The DX200 to me is a phenomenal piece of hardware. I don't even use the WiFi or Blutooth or stream anything, doing so adds a whole realm of use for those who want it as well. To me it's awesome sound is a clear cut above anything that I've heard before and the unit itself is built well and attractive with a great interface that will only be improved on in the future.
Anyone on the fence about the DX200, just get one - it will impress you after it's properly burned in.

I'm glad to hear you're satisfied with sound quality improvements with advanced ROM mods. With current release, it repacks only system partition and I made sure I didn't touch anything significant to Mango OS mode except changing system fonts (Will work on that for proper unicode support later).

That shouldn't affect Mango OS USB stuff technically so please re-flash stock OTA ROM and flash mine again, see if that fixes your issue with USB drive. I'll test that later.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back