iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 24, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #6,768 of 6,983
The first week has passed since I completely reinstalled my DX160. I used the device daily and shut it down when not in use as usual. So far I had not been able to observe a black screen. I'll get back to you in about a week with more information about the behavior of my device.

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #6,769 of 6,983
Hi all, I have the chance to buy a used iBasso DX160, but I have some questions:
1. Is the build version (2019 or 2020) important? How can I check it on the device?
2. I use Qobuz as a streaming app and I've read that the DX160 cannot support bit perfect audio, since an older version of Android is installed. Is it true? How could I overcome this problem? It can be a deal breaker for me.
Thanks in advance.

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #6,770 of 6,983
Hi all, I have the chance to buy a used iBasso DX160, but I have some questions:
1. Is the build version (2019 or 2020) important? How can I check it on the device?
2. I use Qobuz as a streaming app and I've read that the DX160 cannot support bit perfect audio, since an older version of Android is installed. Is it true? How could I overcome this problem? It can be a deal breaker for me.
Thanks in advance.
The difference between the 2019 version and the 2020 version is the screen. They ran out of parts for the screen on the 2019 version, so in the middle of production they had to re-source a new maker for the screen, and it is a tad bit less sharp and natural looking than the OG screen.

I am not sure where you read this, but this is just not true. The DX160 does indeed support bit perfect playback system wide (as long as the app also supports it).

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #6,771 of 6,983
The difference between the 2019 version and the 2020 version is the screen. They ran out of parts for the screen on the 2019 version, so in the middle of production they had to re-source a new maker for the screen, and it is a tad bit less sharp and natural looking than the OG screen.

I am not sure where you read this, but this is just not true. The DX160 does indeed support bit perfect playback system wide (as long as the app also supports it).
Thanks for the reply on the firts point.
For the second question, my understanding from various forum threads (e.g. in Reddit and in audiophile Italian forums) is that older versions of Android (specifically the ones before the 10 release) sample down music quality to 44.1 KhZ when played from streaming sources (it's unclear if this happens for the offline listenings as well). You can check it out by yourself with a simple web search. There are also a Lurker mod, that claim to overcome this problem.
So, the main question is: iBasso DX160 (like the new DX170, that carries Android 11) can overcome this annoying feature of Android 8?
If possible, i'd like to get some answers based on actual use by users, especially with Qobuz.
Thanks.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #6,772 of 6,983
For the second question, my understanding from various forum threads (e.g. in Reddit and in audiophile Italian forums) is that older versions of Android (specifically the ones before the 10 release) sample down music quality to 44.1 KhZ when played from streaming sources (it's unclear if this happens for the offline listenings as well). You can check it out by yourself with a simple web search. There are also a Lurker mod, that claim to overcome this problem.
So, the main question is: iBasso DX160 (like the new DX170, that carries Android 11) can overcome this annoying feature of Android 8?
If possible, i'd like to get some answers based on actual use by users, especially with Qobuz.
Thanks.
There have been several discussions about using Qobuz on the DX160 in this forum. The player is capable of bit perfect playback, the apps just need to support that. Seems if you use the UAPP app and connect to Qobuz from there, bit-perfect can be achieved.

Post in thread 'iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...ew-fw-1-09-link-1st-page.912228/post-15626707

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #6,773 of 6,983
Thanks.
You are welcome. :)

As for your second question, the OS has nothing to do with this because iBasso bypasses the android limitation system wide (which is 16/48). Even with Android 11 if any DAP is not capable of bypassing the android limitation (which still exists on most phones for instance), then all apps will not be bit perfect. It is all about the implementation of the app in question for the DX160 (and any DAP that has system wide bit perfect playback). And while I don't know if the Qobuz app itself is capable of this, I DO know that if you use UAPP to interface with it, it is... I know that Amazon HD is not bit perfect as everything above 16/44 is upsampled to 192kHz across the board. Tidal used to be the same way, but the author claims to have solved this and says that it is now bit perfect. I no longer use it, so I can't tell you if this is true or not. I can also tell you that even Qobuz does not down sample music to 44kHz.

The OS is simply the platform that most makers now use to add their own tools and functionality (being open source makes this easier than building their own software). iBasso was actually one of the first companies to be able to bypass the android limitations. Now, whether an app is designed to utilize this is up to the people that develop the app itself. UAPP, Neutron, and some others, tend to keep up with the changes in android specifically for the devices out there (iBasso, Shanling, Cayin, etc...).

The Lurker addon doesn't make any apps bit perfect; it is simply what the name says it is, an addon to existing FW (not an actual ROM), it simply adds quite a few additional features not available otherwise (root, Mango OS, USB-Audio driver, etc...) and also makes the common bit perfect apps more efficient in their battery usage. If you would like to learn more about what the Lurker addon actually does, you can have a look here. Apologies for sounding rude (as I don't mean to), but it seems like you have come across quite a bit of misinformation. If you read through this thread, there are some really good topics discussed regarding this beauty of a device (warts and all haha) with participation from iBasso themselves.

Also, I feel that I am qualified to answer your question as I have the OG 2019 version of the DX160 and use it on a daily basis (when I am not also using my DX300). I can't speak for Qobuz anymore though, so maybe others can answer your question, and/or share some screenshots with you. I CAN tell you (as mentioned earlier in my post) that, while it remains to be seen if the app is or is not bit perfect, it does NOT down sample everything to 44kHz. Bottom line is that if an app (such as Qobuz) is not bit perfect on the DX160, then it will also not be bit perfect on any other DAP out there (even the ones using android 11), simple as that (regardless of what you read elsewhere).

Hopefully this is helpful to you?! :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #6,774 of 6,983
It can be a deal breaker for me.
One thing to keep in mind when making your decision is that all DAPs are primarily designed to play back your local files. Streaming services are convenient, but the limits are based on their app design, not the DAP. I have the 2020 model of the DX160 and it is my daily driver player. I don’t think I have ever enjoyed music on the go as much as I have since this has been in my hands!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #6,775 of 6,983
One thing to keep in mind when making your decision is that all DAPs are primarily designed to play back your local files. Streaming services are convenient, but the limits are based on their app design, not the DAP. I have the 2020 model of the DX160 and it is my daily driver player. I don’t think I have ever enjoyed music on the go as much as I have since this has been in my hands!
Here, here! :)

Feb 28, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #6,778 of 6,983
The DX160 and DX170 are the exact same form factor.. :)
Hi everyone. New member here and I have a question about the 2019 Basso dx 160 that I just picked up used. I am sorry as I am old, computer illiterate to an extent and at 452 pages just didn't have the time to go through this whole forum. Here is my dilemma. I recently ripped all my 70 sacds to my older hp all in one desktop with windows 10 home. I was easily able to put all these sacd albums on a portable usb drive and hook it up through usb outlet on front of Oppo 105d to play these dsf files. I have also ripped 100's of cds to Flac and also have these on my computer and was easily able to transfer these files to my Samsung s22 ultra phone as again my computer recognized the phone. I assumed that my computer would recognize the ibasso dx 160 (2019 ) version and I would just be able to drag over the files to it and be able to listen to dsd but it doesn't show up on my computer like the phone and usb drives do. I have tried the setting on the dx160 running it as a usb dac and have also used a short cord for the transfer of these files as I heard this might work but no luck. I literally have no clue and was wondering if anyone could help with some instructions that I might be able to transfer these files. I have used myp3 players in the past and it was always an easy transfer but alas not this time. thanks emper

Feb 28, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #6,779 of 6,983
Hi everyone. New member here and I have a question about the 2019 Basso dx 160 that I just picked up used. I am sorry as I am old, computer illiterate to an extent and at 452 pages just didn't have the time to go through this whole forum. Here is my dilemma. I recently ripped all my 70 sacds to my older hp all in one desktop with windows 10 home. I was easily able to put all these sacd albums on a portable usb drive and hook it up through usb outlet on front of Oppo 105d to play these dsf files. I have also ripped 100's of cds to Flac and also have these on my computer and was easily able to transfer these files to my Samsung s22 ultra phone as again my computer recognized the phone. I assumed that my computer would recognize the ibasso dx 160 (2019 ) version and I would just be able to drag over the files to it and be able to listen to dsd but it doesn't show up on my computer like the phone and usb drives do. I have tried the setting on the dx160 running it as a usb dac and have also used a short cord for the transfer of these files as I heard this might work but no luck. I literally have no clue and was wondering if anyone could help with some instructions that I might be able to transfer these files. I have used myp3 players in the past and it was always an easy transfer but alas not this time. thanks emper
Hi, and welcome! :)

If it shows up as charging (looking at the front of the DX160), then you only need to swipe down from the top and change from USB charging to file transfer (also seen here). Putting it into DAC mode is simply making the DX160 your PC's sound card so that won't work for the purpose you are going for here. I am assuming you are using a Windows PC rather than Mac or Linux, etc...?! If you are not using Windows, you may need to install a driver or additional software.

If, on the other hand it is not seeing it at all, you may simply need to switch cables until you find one that works. I know the stock cable that comes with it will allow charging from a PC but will not be seen to transfer files.

For future reference, there is a search bar at the top of every page, and you can search keywords or whole phrases. I found the link above by simply typing "file transfer" without the quotes. Let us know if/when you get it straightened out or need further assistance. The more details you can provide, the better/quicker the help can be... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back