iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 28, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #6,781 of 6,983
Ok spoke too soon lol. As you can see I don't really no what I am doing. I see that the files were saved to my sd card on the dx160 but when I click on the file it says can't open file . I just assumed it would go into the mango audio player. Can anyone tell me the next step (s) I need to do thanks emper

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #6,782 of 6,983
Ok spoke too soon lol. As you can see I don't really no what I am doing. I see that the files were saved to my sd card on the dx160 but when I click on the file it says can't open file . I just assumed it would go into the mango audio player. Can anyone tell me the next step (s) I need to do thanks emper
Ok think I figured it out

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #6,783 of 6,983
Thank you so much, it is working. Awesome. I have been trying different things for the last couple of days. Can't believe it was this easy lol
You are very welcome!
If you didn't quite get it figured out, once you are done transferring all the music files you want to the DX, then just open up the Mango app (or whatever music player you might be using) and you will have to enable a scan for the files you added. Once this is done, they should show up as music to listen to. Hope that helps. :wink:

Mar 1, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #6,784 of 6,983
Quick update: as I told you before, I finally bought an used device for 170€ and it looks very good and surprisingly light in hand!
So far so good, thanks for all your help.
Now it's time to understand the 4.4 output, that sounds promising, but I have non experience at all with balanced headphone or IEMs... Any advice for pairing the dx160 will be welcome!

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #6,785 of 6,983
Quick update: as I told you before, I finally bought an used device for 170€ and it looks very good and surprisingly light in hand!
Now it's time to understand the 4.4 output, that sounds promising, but I have non experience at all with balanced headphone or IEMs... Any advice for pairing the dx160 will be welcome!
Just so you can try and perceive the difference between single ended and balanced, i would suggest you get a cheap kz iem and a 4.4mm balanced cable (inexpensive) and try the combo

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #6,786 of 6,983
Just so you can try and perceive the difference between single ended and balanced, i would suggest you get a cheap kz iem and a 4.4mm balanced cable (inexpensive) and try the combo
Thanks for the advice.
Actually, I do already have a pair of ZSN pro, so I'm looking forward a balanced cable. I'll let you know.

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #6,787 of 6,983
I have just received the Chord mojo 2. So I'm plugging in my Ibasso dx160 via usb to usb cable. Whilst I can adjust all of the mojo's settings,the dx160 seems to have it's controls disabled? The players volume, equalisers, etc just don't do anything, even though they visually work. Any ideas?

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #6,788 of 6,983
Thanks for the advice.
Actually, I do already have a pair of ZSN pro, so I'm looking forward a balanced cable. I'll let you know.
I have the KZ ZAX IEMs and use the TRN T2 cable with the 4.4mm balanced connector. At lower volumes, the noise floor is invisibly black. The output levels are incredible, so you won't be playing these anywhere near the top levels at 100. They suit my sound taste for listening to most of my music.

Mar 1, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #6,789 of 6,983
The desire for balanced output on a DAP is better crosstalk and (usually) more power output. Of course, normally you don't really need that extra power for low impedance and high sensitivity IEMs but there is still the crosstalk that you get (in that each monitor has its own ground). It is a little like having 7 drivers in a set of IEMs giving some discrete sound.

Having said that, these DAPs makers nowadays are getting much better at the implementation of SE making it so much harder to tell the difference. But, I still default to balanced over SE when I can.
I have just received the Chord mojo 2. So I'm plugging in my Ibasso dx160 via usb to usb cable. Whilst I can adjust all of the mojo's settings,the dx160 seems to have it's controls disabled? The players volume, equalisers, etc just don't do anything, even though they visually work. Any ideas?
This is because you are using the DX160 as a simple transport. The Mojo 2 is doing ALL the work (DAC and amplifier). Using a USB-Audio setup with the Mojo 2 would do the same thing (and sound the same) if you used a phone or any other transport. If you still want control from your DX160 then you would want to hook into the Mojo 2 via LO or SPDIF. Hope that helps. :)

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #6,790 of 6,983
I have the KZ ZAX IEMs and use the TRN T2 cable with the 4.4mm balanced connector. At lower volumes, the noise floor is invisibly black. The output levels are incredible, so you won't be playing these anywhere near the top levels at 100. They suit my sound taste for listening to most of my music.
I've just bought some Chinese cable with 4.4 jack in order to make a try. Your cable looks way better, but it's not available anymore. Maybe in the future, if I like the experience, I will upgrade.
I'm listening right now Fear of Music by Talking Heads on the DX160 on the move in train, on my way to Dolomiti Mountains in Italy (for work, not skiing unfortunately...) with the KZ through 3,5mm, and it's already a significant improvement over my previous FiiO M6, which nonetheless was a cute, valid device.

Mar 2, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #6,791 of 6,983
Quick question guys , I have downloaded the Pulsar Music app onto the dx 160. All my music is on my sd card and I can use it on the mango app. Is there a way to transfer the files to Pulsar or do I have to download all the music again. Actually I am not sure if the pulsar app supports dsd. What is the consensus for the music app for the dx 160 or do people prefer the Mango?? Thanks Ember

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #6,792 of 6,983
Quick question guys , I have downloaded the Pulsar Music app onto the dx 160. All my music is on my sd card and I can use it on the mango app. Is there a way to transfer the files to Pulsar or do I have to download all the music again. Actually I am not sure if the pulsar app supports dsd. What is the consensus for the music app for the dx 160 or do people prefer the Mango?? Thanks Ember
I have never heard of this app before, so I can't answer about DSD or how good/bad the app is for music playback.

Having said that, you don't need to transfer anything (it is already on your card). You will just need to go into the settings of the app and have it scan for music (where you put it on the micro SD card). Just like Mango player, it simply scans for music files and makes a database of them so that particular app can access the music files, read tags, display art, etc....

As for me I either use Mango, Neutron Music Player, or UAPP (USB-Audio Pro Player). All three play bit-perfect, and can play DSD (or pretty much any format you can think of). Hope that helps. :)

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #6,794 of 6,983
How are you friends, how are you, I have a question about the battery life, how long should it really last?
Depends on many varying factors

Mar 3, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #6,795 of 6,983
How are you friends, how are you, I have a question about the battery life, how long should it really last?
Even after all this time (got mine back in 2019), I will still get anywhere from 5-8 hours from it. This also depends on many things like @superuser1 said... That said, more often I get closer to 8 than I do to 5 though. But I don't normally listen to a ton of DSD256 or PCM384 on this though. Those are the ones that will kill the battery in this. It will last closer to the 8 mentioned when using something like 24/96 and below and very little to no DSP on and WiFi and BT off. WiFi will use the battery quite a bit quicker on this device because it struggles to keep a solid signal sometimes (at least mine does), though I never have any hiccups on mine. BT is the same way, it uses more battery than the norm because the signal is weak(er) than other devices.

I think that iBasso addressed these issues with the release of the DX170, but I knew going into the DX160 that there were "antenna" issues, but I listen mostly to local stuff, so it has never mattered to me, and I use the wireless functions now and again with all the success that I need it to.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back