iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #6,376 of 6,983
It should work on the DX160. As for stuttering, it might be the implementation of the apple codecs that cause this, or might have just been the app the OP was playing them through, or loaded down OS (multiple apps running), etc... It is unknown at this point, and I don't have anything of that bitrate to test (I am not in the Apple ecosystem). Although, I have read about the app itself having stuttering/freezing/skipping bugs when it was released back in Jul of 2021.

I have some music that is .alac that is 16/44 but I over sample it in Neutron to 352 ( x 8 multiplier, which is max on this player) with no stutters. Though, I cannot do PCM to DSD256 (or 128) on the DX160, though I can on the DX300. I do not use Apple Lossless (app) for anything though. I know this may seem irrelevant, but doing this taxes the CPU, and I was trying to see if doing this might cause some stuttering (doing conversions on the fly). Not a true test, but best I can do with my current selection of .alac music, I'm afraid. Hate to say it, but you may have to just pull the trigger and experiment. Unless you will ONLY listen to Apple Lossless, you can always switch to .flac or something similar (they all work flawlessly).

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Thank you, your answer does help me. I think you are right, I might just have to buy the DAP and find out for myself. I do not own any flac files at the moment, but I am looking into buying flac files for my favourite albums. For now apple music does remain my only way of listening to music. I heard the shanling m3x does play apple music lossless well and was planning on buying that DAP. But then found a great deal on a secondhand dx160 (with quite a lot more power than the m3x). Still not shure which DAP i’ll get though. Thank you again for your help.

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #6,377 of 6,983
I was unable to stream Tidal on my DX160, so I returned it. It would stutter, working for a few seconds, then either going silent then resuming, or going silent until I restarted Tidal. It may not be a problem with Apple Music, but a problem with DX160 streaming anything. When someone tells you that they don’t have a problem with streaming, ask what brand and model of WiFi they have.

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #6,378 of 6,983
Thank you, your answer does help me. I think you are right, I might just have to buy the DAP and find out for myself. I do not own any flac files at the moment, but I am looking into buying flac files for my favourite albums. For now apple music does remain my only way of listening to music. I heard the shanling m3x does play apple music lossless well and was planning on buying that DAP. But then found a great deal on a secondhand dx160 (with quite a lot more power than the m3x). Still not shure which DAP i’ll get though. Thank you again for your help.
Also, the OP didn't mention whether he had the same issue with .alac files that were under 24/192 (such as 24/48 for instance), so there is that, because you can choose "lossless" (as opposed to "hi rez") under options, that will limit streaming to 24/48.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those DAPs you have targeted IMO. They both have very similar hardware specs (other than the DAC chip, and some different bells and whistles). I would bet the major difference will be the sound signature. ESS might be a bit warmer sound overall, than the Cirrus, which is brighter overall. For me it would come down to the price that could be had, and the type of sound I want, and how well they synergize with my current head gear.

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #6,379 of 6,983
I was unable to stream Tidal on my DX160, so I returned it. It would stutter, working for a few seconds, then either going silent then resuming, or going silent until I restarted Tidal. It may not be a problem with Apple Music, but a problem with DX160 streaming anything. When someone tells you that they don’t have a problem with streaming, ask what brand and model of WiFi they have.
I have had no issues with mine (bought in 2019 not too long after it came out). I set it to 5GHz band for stability, because I don't really need a ton of range. The WiFi router I have/use is the Linksys WRT32X gaming WiFi router. As for what I stream, I use Amazon HD (used to also use Tidal with no issues) and I listen to a lot of Ultra HD files with no issues.

I also use Neutron to stream my local library over WiFi (SMB share) from my external HD connected directly to my WiFi router (similar to NAS, but no OS on the HD) with no issues. When I first boot it up, it does take a while to start the first song, because the HD goes to "sleep" after a period of inactivity. Sadly, there is no way to change this behavior as it doesn't have an OS on it (as mentioned earlier).

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #6,381 of 6,983
Also, the OP didn't mention whether he had the same issue with .alac files that were under 24/192 (such as 24/48 for instance), so there is that, because you can choose "lossless" (as opposed to "hi rez") under options, that will limit streaming to 24/48.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those DAPs you have targeted IMO. They both have very similar hardware specs (other than the DAC chip, and some different bells and whistles). I would bet the major difference will be the sound signature. ESS might be a bit warmer sound overall, than the Cirrus, which is brighter overall. For me it would come down to the price that could be had, and the type of sound I want, and how well they synergize with my current head gear.
Thank you for the great advice! I think I’ll buy the shanling m3x from a store in the Netherlands. This way I can return the DAP if it’s not what fits my needs.

Mar 28, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #6,382 of 6,983
Since I just purchased a pristine, red 2019 from @HiFiHawaii808, I’ve spent this weekend trying to learn, upgrade and read this thread. I need to thank @Lurker0 and especially @twister6 for their excellent comments and insights. Y’all convinced me to buy one. And @Paul - iBasso , you have a tough job and I applaud your ability to remain in a congenially professional demeanor when dealing with those folks that are less congenial and more congenital…

Anyone use this dap that’s discovered the optimal car audio connection? I bought my car because I loved the H/K system in it. Any advice appreciated.

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #6,383 of 6,983
Since I just purchased a pristine, red 2019 from @HiFiHawaii808, I’ve spent this weekend trying to learn, upgrade and read this thread. I need to thank @Lurker0 and especially @twister6 for their excellent comments and insights. Y’all convinced me to buy one. And @Paul - iBasso , you have a tough job and I applaud your ability to remain in a congenially professional demeanor when dealing with those folks that are less congenial and more congenital…

Anyone use this dap that’s discovered the optimal car audio connection? I bought my car because I loved the H/K system in it. Any advice appreciated.
i use line out in the car

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #6,385 of 6,983
Lurker os ony my dx160 is awesome, especially the mango os. It sounds better

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #6,386 of 6,983
Hi,
i bought a second hand ibasso 2020 Dx160 a few weeks ago (the first owner bought it NEW in June 2021).
I'm happy with the sound but i can use only 6-7 hours max with a full charge when playing FLAC files paired with my Meze 99 classics via SE 3.5mm (volume 35-40) and low gain. The screen/wifi/bluetooth is off and i use airplane mode.
So i decided to test different battery apps to limit fast decharging.
Something strange with all apps tested : impossible to display battery mAh consumption and temperature.
Is it normal ? have you the same issue with your DX160 ? You can try with "AccuBattery" app for example to check that.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #6,387 of 6,983
Hi,
i bought a second hand ibasso 2020 Dx160 a few weeks ago (the first owner bought it NEW in June 2021).
I'm happy with the sound but i can use only 6-7 hours max with a full charge when playing FLAC files paired with my Meze 99 classics via SE 3.5mm (volume 35-40) and low gain. The screen/wifi/bluetooth is off and i use airplane mode.
So i decided to test different battery apps to limit fast decharging.
Something strange with all apps tested : impossible to display battery mAh consumption and temperature.
Is it normal ? have you the same issue with your DX160 ? You can try with "AccuBattery" app for example to check that.
Thanks.
What fw?

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #6,388 of 6,983
What kind of cable? 3.5mm aux? Any exotic custom cables out there?
I also use a 3.5mm aux cable, make sure to set the DX160 to line out. You will likely need to set the volume somewhere below max, as that output level is quite high for most car systems. I have set mine to 80, which still ends up with higher volume than the built-in radio, but doesn't seem to clip or distort the input stage. I think you will find "most" factory car systems out there fall below the sound of what the DX160 is capable of sonically, so investing in any esoteric cables is not going to get you anything more than what a standard aux cable will offer (short of those dollar store specials).

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #6,389 of 6,983
I also use a 3.5mm aux cable, make sure to set the DX160 to line out. You will likely need to set the volume somewhere below max, as that output level is quite high for most car systems. I have set mine to 80, which still ends up with higher volume than the built-in radio, but doesn't seem to clip or distort the input stage. I think you will find "most" factory car systems out there fall below the sound of what the DX160 is capable of sonically, so investing in any esoteric cables is not going to get you anything more than what a standard aux cable will offer (short of those dollar store specials).
+1

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #6,390 of 6,983
Well, I bought the car because of the Harman Kardon sound system in it. 14 speakers and 630W. It’s the best sounding jukebox I’ve ever driven. It’s comparable to riding in a giant set of headphones. I’ve got some excellent aux cables, but I was wondering if anyone had tried anything else.

Any way of using a 3.5mm to usb A cable? Asking for a friend 😉.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back