iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jan 28, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #5,252 of 6,983
Why does my iBasso DX160 only play Tidal for 5 min, then stops with a message ”connection problem” and a red bar with “Retry“ on it? When I push that, it resumes for about another 5 min, then does the whole thing again.

Things I have tried:

* Using the UAPP player instead of Tidal... still happens
* Checking WiFi signal strength... happens at all strengths, most recently at -55dB, and even as high as -45dB
* Used the app WiFi analyzer mentioned above... I can only get signal strength as a diagnostic... no other signs of corrupt connection.

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #5,253 of 6,983
I know I am late to the party, but I just noticed the NOS digital filter and I am digging it. I have started playing around with the filters and prefer a different setting with each of my iems. What's everyone going with these days, if you don't mind me asking?

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #5,254 of 6,983
Why does my iBasso DX160 only play Tidal for 5 min, then stops with a message ”connection problem” and a red bar with “Retry“ on it? When I push that, it resumes for about another 5 min, then does the whole thing again.

Things I have tried:

* Checking WiFi signal strength... happens at all strengths, most recently at -55dB, and even as high as -45dB
* Used the app WiFi analyzer mentioned above... I can only get signal strength as a diagnostic... no other signs of corrupt connection.

Thanks!
Your signal should be good.

Previous DX160 firmware versions have issue reports about Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Check your version in 'Settings', 'System', 'About DX160', 'Build number'.

The current build is: 1.06.177-L1.28b1
If your DX160 is at this current Build number, I would try connecting to another Wi-Fi connection to test and see what happens.

CAUTION: If your build needs to be updated, I would NOT install the update via OTA that method uses Wi-Fi.
iBasso has a downloadable DX160 update on their web site.

Hoping for the best result for you, good luck.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #5,255 of 6,983

Things I have tried:

Thanks!
Your signal should be good.

Previous DX160 firmware versions have issue reports about Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Check your version in 'Settings', 'System', 'About DX160', 'Build number'.

The current build is: 1.06.177-L1.28b1
If your DX160 is at this current Build number, I would try connecting to another Wi-Fi connection to test and see what happens.

CAUTION: If your build needs to be updated, I would NOT install the update via OTA that method uses Wi-Fi.
iBasso has a downloadable DX160 update on their web site.

Hoping for the best result for you, good luck.

If this is happening when the screen is off, I think it has to do with android putting it (WIFI) to sleep. I have had this issue since the beginning. iBasso has acknowledged that there is an issue, but I have not heard that they have addressed it. I am hoping that one of the newer FWs takes care of the issue. IIRC the issue is that iBasso removed some options from settings in android, so you could not change the option to "keep awake" (I could be wrong, and my memory faulty, this was a while ago).

I have not updated FW past 1.05, but I am going to update it tonight because I am having issues with Bluetooth. I didn't have issues previously because I was using SBC only. I now have some LDAC, and LDHC phones, and some Aptx phones. I don't have too many issues with the LDAC, but Aptx will not stay stable unless I have the player in my hand (this includes cutting out in my pocket as I walk). LDHC doesn't even work at all, though this is an issue with the Hifiman app (it crashes immediately upon opening) that contains the driver.

I have turned Aptx off and used SBC for those phones, and the connection is now as stable as can be. I suspect the signal is weak enough so as not to be able to handle the bandwidth required to keep a connection with higher bandwidth codecs. We shall see.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #5,256 of 6,983
If this is happening when the screen is off, I think it has to do with android putting it (WIFI) to sleep. I have had this issue since the beginning. iBasso has acknowledged that there is an issue, but I have not heard that they have addressed it. I am hoping that one of the newer FWs takes care of the issue. IIRC the issue is that iBasso removed some options from settings in android, so you could not change the option to "keep awake" (I could be wrong, and my memory faulty, this was a while ago).

I have not updated FW past 1.05, but I am going to update it tonight because I am having issues with Bluetooth. I didn't have issues previously because I was using SBC only. I now have some LDAC, and LDHC phones, and some Aptx phones. I don't have too many issues with the LDAC, but Aptx will not stay stable unless I have the player in my hand (this includes cutting out in my pocket as I walk). LDHC doesn't even work at all, though this is an issue with the Hifiman app (it crashes immediately upon opening) that contains the driver.

I have turned Aptx off and used SBC for those phones, and the connection is now as stable as can be. I suspect the signal is weak enough so as not to be able to handle the bandwidth required to keep a connection with higher bandwidth codecs. We shall see.

DX160 only supports LDAC aptX out / Transmitted to another device not from phone to DX160 as Bluetooth reciever 😊
IMG_20210123_080802.jpg

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #5,257 of 6,983
DX160 only supports LDAC aptX out / Transmitted to another device not from phone to DX160 as Bluetooth reciever 😊IMG_20210123_080802.jpg
That's what I was doing, not as receiver. Maybe my sentence wasn't clear. I have headphones that can connect using LDAC, and AptX and LDHC.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #5,258 of 6,983

Nope! The newest FW has fixed neither the WIFI going to sleep with screen off after a few songs, nor the Bluetooth stability issues. I am not sure if any FW can fix these issues, and that the antennae are not strong enough (or something to that nature). It IS disappointing a bit, but I bought this with the idea of using wired connections, and for that this device really shines bright.

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #5,261 of 6,983
If tidal is running smoothly is there a reason to update to the most recent firmware
To help decide, below is from the readme.txt included by iBasso with latest firmware 1.06.177

1. Added NOS into digital filter selections.
2. Improved compatibility with Bluetooth remotes.
3. Rectified the bug that when using Bluetooth output, sometimes the volume adjustment doesn't work correctly.
4. Rectified the bug that when using shuffle mode, the first album artwork may display incorrectly.
5. Rectified the bug that when using 720P screen resolution, the bootup screen isn't displayed in the center.
6. Rectified the bug that the USB DAC mode doesn't support USB C to USB C cable connection.
7. Rectified the bug that there is a low possibility that there is no output when switching songs.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #5,263 of 6,983
Sendingboth dx160 back. They don't work like they say they would. Music loses connection 5 min after screen goes black. So many problems I don't care how good it sounds. Found out I had an upgrade available on my phone so I'm picking my galaxy s21 ultra 5g within the hour

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #5,264 of 6,983
Sendingboth dx160 back. They don't work like they say they would. Music loses connection 5 min after screen goes black. So many problems I don't care how good it sounds. Found out I had an upgrade available on my phone so I'm picking my galaxy s21 ultra 5g within the hour
It is Android. If you manually turn the screen off you don't lose connection. I use it all the time that way. Very easy.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #5,265 of 6,983
It is Android. If you manually turn the screen off you don't lose connection. I use it all the time that way. Very easy.
Exactly I use it the same way without any problems whatsoever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back