iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
May 4, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #3,451 of 6,983
I haven't heard any weird noises when operating the screen on my 2020 DX160 even at high volumes, but take it with a grain of salt because I don't own any sensitive cans or IEMs (yet=). Maybe the issue was fixed with the new Japan Display over the Sharp (?).

Speaking of IEMs... I want to heartedly thank everyone who dropped a suggestion about my ~300$-budget starter IEM run when I asked for one!
I think I'm down to Moondrop Starfield + ThieAudio Legacy 3 _or_ AudioSense T800. Not sure yet whether I prefer going for two different IEMs (to start make DD vs DD+BA comparisons _and_ still be up if one pair dies) or go for the better isolating one of the three (the T800) and just be happy with it.
Still have to make my mind about it. Never mind...

One quick noobie question, if you kindly allow me: I'm a little confused about earpiece-side connectors now since I saw HifiGo offering/suggesting a bunch of different upgrade cable/connector options along with the Starfields... Link here.
I though 2Pin, MMCX and QDC were different plugs and wouldn't fit the same pair of IEMs?

What would you recommend? Any fitting Starfields and Legacy 3s and T800s?
Definitely want to go 4.4mm-balanced from the DX160 for I noticed a whole shiny lot of difference with the 3.5mm output.
Thank you!

ISN Audio H40 is a big contender as well.

May 4, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #3,452 of 6,983
Hey guys,

Finally got my DX160 last week and the sound is truly great. However, I have a question to see if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my unit. Something seems to make a small rattling sound when shaking the device, as if something is loose. It is not coming from the buttons on the outside but really seems to be coming from somewhere inside. It works perfectly but I guess this is not supposed to happen.

Appreciate the help.

May 4, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3,453 of 6,983
Hey guys,

Finally got my DX160 last week and the sound is truly great. However, I have a question to see if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my unit. Something seems to make a small rattling sound when shaking the device, as if something is loose. It is not coming from the buttons on the outside but really seems to be coming from somewhere inside. It works perfectly but I guess this is not supposed to happen.

Appreciate the help.
Just tried mine and it does it as well.... I wouldn't worry.

May 4, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #3,455 of 6,983
Hey guys,

Appreciate the help.
My buttons make a slight/small sound. Never heard until I gave it a good shake. Nothing I am worried about. Sound through earphones is great. 2019 Version.

May 4, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #3,456 of 6,983
Received the 2020 black unit a week ago but only today opened the box.😅

This thing is gorgeous. I was expecting it to be a little bigger but the size is perfect. Just did a quick configuration and Wifi seems stable. Not much time for testing but pairing with IMR RAH and a brief listening through Tidal sounded pretty good out of the box (Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize). It sounded brighter than the ZX507 but maybe it pairs well with warm IEMs.

May 4, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #3,457 of 6,983
@weexisttocease , Ill be following you! Indeed I will be having my first IMR (PB ONE). Now searching for best pairing DAP in this price range or a bit higher, may be upto 700?

May 4, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #3,458 of 6,983
@weexisttocease , Ill be following you! Indeed I will be having my first IMR (PB ONE). Now searching for best pairing DAP in this price range or a bit higher, may be upto 700?

I'm glad you're getting the PB One. I ordered the EDP and R3 Halcyon.

You have a lot options these days and it's quite difficult to make decisions. If you have the chance to test the equipment in a local store that would be ideal. My only option was to make blind buys and I'll keep these units for now. I would love to give a try to the DTR1 Prelude just based on some reviews. It's and old school DAP (no WiFi or streaming) with a 3.5 port only but the priority is the sound.

Probably I'm not the best option to evaluate and compare DAPs but as soon I have time I'll try to share my opinion of the ZX507 and DX160.

Cheers

May 5, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #3,460 of 6,983
I'm thinking of getting one of these for my out and about work horse. What would be good iems and headphones for it without breaking the bank?

May 5, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #3,461 of 6,983
@gazzington try Ikko OH-10, you will find in Amazon and if you don't like you have 30days for return it

May 5, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #3,462 of 6,983
I'm glad you're getting the PB One. I ordered the EDP and R3 Halcyon.

You have a lot options these days and it's quite difficult to make decisions. If you have the chance to test the equipment in a local store that would be ideal. My only option was to make blind buys and I'll keep these units for now. I would love to give a try to the DTR1 Prelude just based on some reviews. It's and old school DAP (no WiFi or streaming) with a 3.5 port only but the priority is the sound.

Probably I'm not the best option to evaluate and compare DAPs but as soon I have time I'll try to share my opinion of the ZX507 and DX160.

Cheers
Its a difficult option to choose only SOUND as I want to stream as well, at times. But yeah, for me, its Blind choice as well, we dont have shops with good range of daps.
Should I be curios about the build quality of 160? Iv read some complains about rumbling inside. And does the SQ/Tone feels colored?

May 5, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #3,463 of 6,983
Its a difficult option to choose only SOUND as I want to stream as well, at times. But yeah, for me, its Blind choice as well, we dont have shops with good range of daps.
Should I be curios about the build quality of 160? Iv read some complains about rumbling inside. And does the SQ/Tone feels colored?

My unit has some rattling too but only if I shake it. I thought it could be the buttons or the volume wheel but it seems to be something loose inside the device. No bid deal but I'll report it to the distributor.

May 5, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #3,464 of 6,983
I got the same rattling thing with my 2019 DX160. It doesnt appear to be the volume wheel or any of the buttons since I held those when I was shaking my unit. Must be something inside, not a big deal cause the unit still works fine but what could be the cause of it?

May 5, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #3,465 of 6,983
I've tried UAPP on bit perfect mode with the dx160 2019, somehow it sounds slightly wider with more definition compared to mango. Placebo? :p
I would say most likely, yes if all things are equal. Mango is supposed to be bit-perfect, and if the button in UAPP for bit-perfect is truly that, then it stands to reason there SHOULD be no difference in sound because at that point they are both using hardware with no DSP involved. But is this truly happening? This is where the ??? comes in.... But in truth I can believe that you might be hearing it right because I have noticed (I think) a difference in at least EQ. I recreated an EQ setting from UAPP to Mango player, and they did indeed sound different to my ears..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back