iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
May 3, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #3,436 of 6,983
May 3, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #3,437 of 6,983
May 4, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #3,439 of 6,983
I’ve seen also Shanling M6 Pro, cost more but I’d like to buy something better than R5... I consider also Cayin N6ii and A&K SA-700 But I don’t know if they are significantly better than ibasso DX160.
Did Anyone listen them?

May 4, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #3,440 of 6,983
Does anyone know if the 2020 version of the DX160 fixes the screen noise/scratching that was reported with the original version?

Edit — I have the Solstice so they are very sensitive and I am looking at the DX160 but worried about the screen noise/scratching issue that has been reported previously. Thanks :)

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #3,441 of 6,983
I really am liking the blue. It doesn't look as "cartoony" as it does (to my eyes) on other sites.

Interesting. I am still using 1.04.150, and am not having any issues with anything except wifi turning off after about 30 minutes. Are you also using the Lurker add-on?

I wrote to iBasso about the wifi cutting out after about 30 minutes, and won't re-connect until I turn the screen on (or wake the device), and they wrote back to me saying it was not the fault of the DAP, but of my router and there was nothing they could do about that. Funny thing is all 10/12 other devices on my wifi router have no issues with this. And, wifi reconnects with the DAP when I turn the screen back on. This alone indicates that there is a "wake" issue with the DAP, and iBasso has removed any options to change this behavior from the settings in wifi. If I didn't love my DX so much, and if I needed to have wifi consistantly, I would be mad at this dismissal. Does anyone else have this issue when trying to stream music and the screen is off? I definitely don't think this is a hardware issue.

I know one could use ABD to access settings that are not showing up in the settings of the DAP, but I wouldn't know what command to access.

Already mention that i've wifi issues with the Dx160 v2020 that I received last week. time to times it stops playing TIDAL, and after turn on the screen the wifi simbol is disconnected and there is an error message about no wifi connection.

I just need to press play and it starts working again, when I have time I will test with other online streaming app and/or different wifi network.

May 4, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #3,442 of 6,983
Does anyone know if the 2020 version of the DX160 fixes the screen noise/scratching that was reported with the original version?

Edit — I have the Solstice so they are very sensitive and I am looking at the DX160 but worried about the screen noise/scratching issue that has been reported previously. Thanks :)

I hope someone with a 2020 DX160 can answer this. I noticed this too after I got the voyager 3. There is noise when I interact with the player. It does not occur that often but when it scratches, its irritating.

May 4, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #3,443 of 6,983

I haven't heard any weird noises when operating the screen on my 2020 DX160 even at high volumes, but take it with a grain of salt because I don't own any sensitive cans or IEMs (yet=). Maybe the issue was fixed with the new Japan Display over the Sharp (?).

Speaking of IEMs... I want to heartedly thank everyone who dropped a suggestion about my ~300$-budget starter IEM run when I asked for one!
I think I'm down to Moondrop Starfield + ThieAudio Legacy 3 _or_ AudioSense T800. Not sure yet whether I prefer going for two different IEMs (to start make DD vs DD+BA comparisons _and_ still be up if one pair dies) or go for the better isolating one of the three (the T800) and just be happy with it.
Still have to make my mind about it. Never mind...

One quick noobie question, if you kindly allow me: I'm a little confused about earpiece-side connectors now since I saw HifiGo offering/suggesting a bunch of different upgrade cable/connector options along with the Starfields... Link here.
I though 2Pin, MMCX and QDC were different plugs and wouldn't fit the same pair of IEMs?

What would you recommend? Any fitting Starfields and Legacy 3s and T800s?
Definitely want to go 4.4mm-balanced from the DX160 for I noticed a whole shiny lot of difference with the 3.5mm output.
Thank you!

May 4, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #3,444 of 6,983
I haven't heard any weird noises when operating the screen on my 2020 DX160 even at high volumes, but take it with a grain of salt because I don't own any sensitive cans or IEMs (yet=). Maybe the issue was fixed with the new Japan Display over the Sharp (?).

Speaking of IEMs... I want to heartedly thank everyone who dropped a suggestion about my ~300$-budget starter IEM run when I asked for one!
I think I'm down to Moondrop Starfield + ThieAudio Legacy 3 _or_ AudioSense T800. Not sure yet whether I prefer going for two different IEMs (to start make DD vs DD+BA comparisons _and_ still be up if one pair dies) or go for the better isolating one of the three (the T800) and just be happy with it.

One quick noobie question, if you kindly allow me: I'm a little confused about earpiece-side connectors now since I saw HifiGo offering/suggesting a bunch of different upgrade cable/connector options along with the Starfields... Link here.
I though 2Pin, MMCX and QDC were different plugs and wouldn't fit the same pair of IEMs?

Definitely want to go 4.4mm-balanced from the DX160 for I noticed a whole shiny lot of difference with the 3.5mm output.
Thank you!
Those cables that have mmcx and qdc are not for the starfield... they are just a bundle buy to save some $$$
Starfield has only 2 pin connector

May 4, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #3,445 of 6,983

Thanks for your reply mate. In terms of cables you could look at AliExpress as I have purchased cables from them before which I found to be good quality. As @superuser1 said — just make sure you get the correct termination!

May 4, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #3,446 of 6,983

Thank you!

The starfield uses regular 2-pin connection. Avoid getting MMCX or QDC connectors/cables for it. As someone who is not into cable upgrades, I would recommend that you search for eartips that would suit your tastes and your IEM over getting a new cable.

May 4, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #3,448 of 6,983

Thank you!
I profit your post to also thanks all the amazing feedback that I got about a new IEM request.

My budget was lower than the $300 and my choice was for TINHiFi T4.
My first choice was Etymotic ER2XR, and I've considered also the TINHiFi T4, Thieaudio Legacy 3 and Moondrop Starfield, but in Europe the prices are much higher, so I have decided for a more budget IEM.

The T4 price was less that 90€.

May 4, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #3,449 of 6,983
I profit your post to also thanks all the amazing feedback that I got about a new IEM request.

My budget was lower than the $300 and my choice was for TINHiFi T4.
My first choice was Etymotic ER2XR, and I've considered also the TINHiFi T4, Thieaudio Legacy 3 and Moondrop Starfield, but in Europe the prices are much higher, so I have decided for a more budget IEM.

The T4 price was less that 90€.
Just take a look at the Dunu DK2001 too
1588591298706.png

May 4, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #3,450 of 6,983
So I’ve been looking at DX160 since beginning and now the new version and available cash have gotten me to order a Blue 2020 DX160!
Ordered these adapters also:
9D76BC6C-5344-4CE7-B6A2-7779C42D4EFF.jpeg
I went from 1 dap (DX90) to this new one which will make 6 I think.....Crazyness but fun....not sure when its coming but will post as soon as I can!
The rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper..lol!
I've got the 4.4 and works perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back