iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
May 6, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #3,481 of 6,983
May 6, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #3,482 of 6,983
Greetings. I’ve been following this thread since pg 20. Had my AR m20 out last night. Hiby R5 is my daily. The larger format of the AR really felt nice. Makes me reconsider the dx160. I have a few reservations tho, not the least of which is BT performance. Been waiting for more feedback re BT with 2020 edition. Regardless, I’m confused about mango player stuff and lurker add on. I’m using FiiO music player with my R5, which I like. Can I use FiiO music app on dx160? I should add I don’t stream music. Is the lurker add on crucial in any way? What’s all this business about mango player? As you can see I’m rather lost. Help appreciated.

May 6, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #3,483 of 6,983
Greetings. I’ve been following this thread since pg 20. Had my AR m20 out last night. Hiby R5 is my daily. The larger format of the AR really felt nice. Makes me reconsider the dx160. I have a few reservations tho, not the least of which is BT performance. Been waiting for more feedback re BT with 2020 edition. Regardless, I’m confused about mango player stuff and lurker add on. I’m using FiiO music player with my R5, which I like. Can I use FiiO music app on dx160? I should add I don’t stream music. Is the lurker add on crucial in any way? What’s all this business about mango player? As you can see I’m rather lost. Help appreciated.
Hi, and welcome! The DX is a really great DAP, but BT hasn't been changed on the 2020 edition as stated by @Paul - iBasso .

Mango player is the iBasso proprietary music app for the DX. The Lurker add-on is just that. An add-on that speeds up apps, adds Google Play Store, roots the device, adds Mango OS, etc... Mango player and mango OS are different things. On past devices they didn't all have android on them, they booted straight into Mango OS, which is just like mango player for android, but that is all you can do/open on the device (the player IS the operating system). The lurker add-on is not crucial, but pretty darned good and you can read about what all it does here.

The DX has full android on it, so if you can get the Fiio app from Google Store, you can install it on your DX, though you are not limited to any one music app. Google Store is not installed out of the box, but you can either use the Lurker rom to install it, or you can use one of the 2 store apps installed to install it. It's all really easy to deal with, just a bit of housekeeping if you need to use something besides the stock Mango player that is installed out of the box.

May 6, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #3,484 of 6,983
I would politely add, to do yourself a favour and try out UAPP.. they have a trial version on their website. Fiio app is chunky and tedious in comparison.. needless to say in my humble opinion!

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #3,486 of 6,983
I would politely add to do yourself a favour and try out UAPP.. they have a trial version on their website. Fiio app is chunky and tedious in comparison.. needless to say in my humble opinion!
By UAPP do you mean usb audio player pro? If so, I purchased/installed on R5, and I wish I preferred it to FiiO app. Screen presentation and smoothness of operation strike me as superior with FiiO one. I recognize UAPP is more configurable and have seen many posts praising it. Also sounds indistinguishable from FiiO app so fas as I can tell. Only thing I’m unsure of is the bit perfect setting as it seems to me hi res files might especially benefit from this feature. Appreciate the suggestion

May 6, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #3,487 of 6,983
Hi, and welcome! The DX is a really great DAP, but BT hasn't been changed on the 2020 edition as stated by @Paul - iBasso .

Mango player is the iBasso proprietary music app for the DX. The Lurker add-on is just that. An add-on that speeds up apps, adds Google Play Store, roots the device, adds Mango OS, etc... Mango player and mango OS are different things. On past devices they didn't all have android on them, they booted straight into Mango OS, which is just like mango player for android, but that is all you can do/open on the device (the player IS the operating system). The lurker add-on is not crucial, but pretty darned good and you can read about what all it does here.

The DX has full android on it, so if you can get the Fiio app from Google Store, you can install it on your DX, though you are not limited to any one music app. Google Store is not installed out of the box, but you can either use the Lurker rom to install it, or you can use one of the 2 store apps installed to install it. It's all really easy to deal with, just a bit of housekeeping if you need to use something besides the stock Mango player that is installed out of the box.
Thanks for your explanatory, informative reply. I know Paul said BT has not been meddled with re 2020 edition but I’m hoping for anecdotal reports to the contrary, ie improved performance

May 6, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #3,488 of 6,983
By UAPP do you mean usb audio player pro? If so, I purchased/installed on R5, and I wish I preferred it to FiiO app. Screen presentation and smoothness of operation strike me as superior with FiiO one. I recognize UAPP is more configurable and have seen many posts praising it. Also sounds indistinguishable from FiiO app so fas as I can tell. Only thing I’m unsure of is the bit perfect setting as it seems to me hi res files might especially benefit from this feature. Appreciate the suggestion
If that is the case I hold my peace!

May 6, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #3,489 of 6,983
I have both now...H40 is much better overall but depends on your budget. Tape isn't bad but H40 competes with IEM's 2-3 times it's price. They tuned the sound so well.

Hi, I'm curious to know, but against which IEM 2-3x the price does it compete or is it equal to? (Which IEM 2-3x the price did you compare it to)

May 6, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #3,490 of 6,983
Note for DX160 2020 users: Add-on 1.27 is confirmed to work correctly in Android, but in Mango OS touch screen does not work. If you boot into Mango OS to find out that touch screen does not for you either, please do:
  1. Turn DX160 off by press and hold Power button (10 seconds is not required).
  2. Press and hold Play button, then turn the power on.
  3. Continue holding Play button until you see Recovery console menu.
  4. Select "Reboot system now" (1st item) and click Power to execute.
DX160 should boot into Android after those steps.

Note that I have only one report from a 2020 edition owner, and he started from flashing old, incompatible add-on. So, I'l like to hear from other users, who flashed v.1.27 straight way, to confirm or deny the touch screen problem in Mango OS.
Hi,

I am new to the DX160. My DX160 2020 arrived this evening and can confirm that it works in Android mode but my device is not responding to touch after boot in Mango mode. The steps above were useful to get the device playing music again. :ksc75smile:

This is my first Android device after many years on iOS and fiio X5 II for and my first impressions a great, so much details... Still I have some questions on the devicec and apps.

1) In the mango player, when an artist has only one album, and I select "play all music" it randomly starts somewhere in the middle of the album. I can't find a setting to force it to play the album by track number. Is there a way to force it to play by track number?

2) I always browse by artist followed by album. After listing artist in th hiby music app, the app will list all tracks of this artist in alphabetical order. I can tap the button to list the albums, but this setting is not remembered. If I switch to another artist it again list all tracks instead of all albums. Is there a while to change this and always browse by artist then album, than by track?

3) I was aware that wifi is not the best on the DX160. I have both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz wifi in the house, and. the device will only find my 2.4ghz network, even when I am sitting in front of my router. I am not aware that 5 Ghz can be disabled? Or is there a setting that I have missed?

4) Why do both remain in the list view and do not jump to the now playing screen when starting a song? Is this normal, I am not used to this?

5) Can the font size in th hiby player. Even when increasing the system font to its maximum it is too small for me to read. it is so tiny, specify the track time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #3,491 of 6,983
My 2020 Blue 160 has no rattle so far and everything is working BT, Wifi, I just used the apk pure app and found Google Play, Spotify, Sony headphone app and they run fine so far.......its supposed to be plan old android so I tried these first.
Does Lurker add on cost $? Where would I buy or get it?
Ed

May 6, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #3,492 of 6,983
For me bt works fine but wifi sucks.
The player desconected randomly and reconected!

May 6, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #3,493 of 6,983
Hi,

I am new to the DX160. My DX160 2020 arrived this evening and can confirm that it works in Android mode but my device is not responding to touch after boot in Mango mode. The steps above were useful to get the device playing music again. :ksc75smile:

This is my first Android device after many years on iOS and fiio X5 II for and my first impressions a great, so much details... Still I have some questions on the devicec and apps.

1) In the mango player, when an artist has only one album, and I select "play all music" it randomly starts somewhere in the middle of the album. I can't find a setting to force it to play the album by track number. Is there a way to force it to play by track number?

2) I always browse by artist followed by album. After listing artist in th hiby music app, the app will list all tracks of this artist in alphabetical order. I can tap the button to list the albums, but this setting is not remembered. If I switch to another artist it again list all tracks instead of all albums. Is there a while to change this and always browse by artist then album, than by track?

3) I was aware that wifi is not the best on the DX160. I have both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz wifi in the house, and. the device will only find my 2.4ghz network, even when I am sitting in front of my router. I am not aware that 5 Ghz can be disabled? Or is there a setting that I have missed?

4) Why do both remain in the list view and do not jump to the now playing screen when starting a song? Is this normal, I am not used to this?

5) Can the font size in th hiby player. Even when increasing the system font to its maximum it is too small for me to read. it is so tiny, specify the track time.

Thanks.
1) Mango player plays numbers first then alphabetically. If you want it by track number, you will need to edit your tags to reflect this. Also make sure you don't have random set as your playback method in options for the app, because once set up that way it is persistant.

2) I can't answer anything about Hiby Player, as I don't use it.

3) Are you sure you have 5ghz band enabled in your router? The router being capable and it being enabled are 2 different things, and must be set up manually (most are off by default). If you are sure it is enabled, maybe wait for it to scan a while longer to find it????

4) If you are talking about Mango Player, you must click the little band at the bottom of the screen (or swipe up from bottom of screen) to bring up the now playing screen.

5) Again I'm not familiar with Hiby Player. Sorry.

My 2020 Blue 160 has no rattle so far and everything is working BT, Wifi, I just used the apk pure app and found Google Play, Spotify, Sony headphone app and they run fine so far.......its supposed to be plan old android so I tried these first.
Does Lurker add on cost $? Where would I buy or get it?
Ed
Nope, it's free to use. Go here to get it.

For me bt works fine but wifi sucks.
The player desconected randomly and reconected!
I wonder if you are having the same issue I am having with it. It seems to disconnect from the device going to sleep, and will come back on just by turning on the screen and waiting for it to connect. If this is the case, @Paul - iBasso has said they are working on this issue. I think it can be fixed by FW update and is not a hardware issue.

May 6, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #3,495 of 6,983
I wonder if you are having the same issue I am having with it. It seems to disconnect from the device going to sleep, and will come back on just by turning on the screen and waiting for it to connect.

Sorry if this has been suggested and doesn’t work but have you guys tried turning off ALL battery optimisation and seeing if it fixes the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back