iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #1,112 of 6,983
as usb dac connected to computer, will have some clicking/cracking noise when playing music, and usually cannot be recognize by computer if connect to the front usb port of computer.
Bad or long cable and interconnection cable reduce signal levels. iBasso DAPs are sensitive to USB signal level. Use good quality short cable with direct connection, or via a hub.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #1,113 of 6,983
Just checked UAPP v.5.3.1. At the first launch, it notified me that compatible device (DX160) was detected, and played DSD256 natively just fine! The update came via Google Play Store.

I'm keeping this one, so I'd definitely try your software. :) And thanks for trying to help me with my wma files not playing. I really appreciated the help- I just knew I wasn't going to keep dx220.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #1,114 of 6,983
Are people getting this noise on both SE and balanced out, because while not Solaris my iem are 9ohm and fairly sensitive and I hear nothing. I've only used balanced out.

Yep I tried spotify and Amazon HD and I hear nothing. And I could hear hiss on wm1a and zx300. Also my bluetooth seemed better last night after the upgrade but still not rock solid.

I'll mess with it more thoroughly later. Maybe it was just luck last night

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #1,115 of 6,983
Is anybody using their DX160 with either a Radsone ES100 or a FiiO BTR3? How is the signal and the sound? How does the sound using them compare when used with other DAPs? At the moment, with the new firmware, for me, the signal is poor, the sound is poor and of very limited volume. Have I got a faulty unit or are the problems empirical to the DX160?

@Paul - iBasso

Yes the DX160 sounds great from both the 4.4mm and the 3.5mm. But are there problems with Bluetooth? I would rather keep this unit but honesty is quite precious. Are there Bluetooth problems with the DX160, or is mine faulty? It would be nice to know so I could exchange it. Please answer.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,116 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso

Whilst I realise that minor problems can be attended to by Firmware Updates but there are one or two problems that need to be addressed, and could be deal breakers for some. Bluetooth on the DX160 is very poor although it is supposed to be Bluetooth 5. Even in full line of sight, during real world usage, the connection has no real integrity and cuts in and out if the DX160 is is moved. That's close by in line of sight. That though is not even the worst problem, as it's Bluetooth sound is really LoFi. The clarity and crisp highs my FiiO M9 gives to an APTX-HD or LDAC receiver, and to speakers, is really nice. Crystal clear, crisp and full of timbre and tone. On the DX160 It sounds dull LoFi and is not good.....dull is the word. The sound with earphones is exceptional though. That is where this DAP punches above it's weight. It sounds wonderful through my IEMs. Those that get this as a review DAP will move on to other DAPs if there are fundamental problems. But many of us need this DAP to do everything right as we will be using it for some years because we have paid $399 for it.

I just tested BT again and it sounds wonderful and loud. It still studders a bit if I move too much but it's not cutting off completely. But I was getting crazy BT drop outs with ap80 the other day too, I'm going to test it and r5. But man it sounds good when not studdering.

Ok just tested r5 and ap80 on my cheap mdr ex 750bt buds. Neither sounds as good as dx160 BT but they're rock stable. So hopefully this can be resolved in firmware and isn't a weak antenna problem or poor shielding or whatever.

Problem is I like the sound and that bigger screen really is easy on my eyes. I prefer using it to my r5. Hopefully this stuff gets resolved. The battery life does seem better after the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,117 of 6,983
I just tested BT again and it sounds wonderful and loud. It still studders a bit if I move too much but it's not cutting off completely. But I was getting crazy BT drop outs with ap80 the other day too, I'm going to test it and r5. But man it sounds good when not studdering.

Not only does mine stutter, the top volume on both my FiiO BTR 3 and BluDento HD is a whisper since the new firmware update. I'll have to exchange mine in the 14 day period we get in the UK. I wish more people would answer though. C'mon guys help out. I would rather keep it.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #1,118 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso

Yes the DX160 sounds great from both the 4.4mm and the 3.5mm. But are there problems with Bluetooth? I would rather keep this unit but honesty is quite precious. Are there Bluetooth problems with the DX160, or is mine faulty? It would be nice to know so I could exchange it. Please answer.

Mine is better but still acting up, so you're not the only one. Did you change any bt settings in Abdroid? Mine is as loud as my other daps or louder. Although a pain, you could try a factory reset. The night before the firmware update It was way worse- it was completely kicking out of BT and the dap was in my lap 2 feet away from the buds.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #1,119 of 6,983
Jesus h christ this thing sounds good.

20191101_092530.jpg

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #1,120 of 6,983
Another extremely positive experience here regarding the DX160. I'm fortunate to own this, the Hiby R5, Fiio M11 and the Shanling M6 and in terms of pure sound quality and transparency it competes head to head with the M6. The other two are some way behind although I accept it's very subjective depending on your preferences. One thing I've noticed on my unit is that the hardware play/pause, fwd and rwd buttons do not work once the screen turns off after the set delay. I have this problem both with Mango player and HibyMusic player even with the Android audio control buttons setting set to always on. Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a workaround or have I got a faulty unit?

I don't have any problems with the buttons , Mango or UAPP.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,121 of 6,983
Mine is better but still acting up, so you're not the only one. Did you change any bt settings in Abdroid? Mine is as loud as my other daps or louder. Although a pain, you could try a factory reset. The night before the firmware update It was way worse- it was completely kicking out of BT and the dap was in my lap 2 feet away from the buds.

So reset my Bluetooth and Wireless. Got volume levels back....but there is a Bluetooth problem. If I sit still its OK, but the minute I move the DX160 it cuts in and out. It would be great to get a message from iBasso acknowledging the problem. It's an empirical factual true problem for me and you abitdeef. What about others? Hopefully it's fixable by Firmware. LURKER is Bluetooth stable with your Firmware???? Looks like my meditation will keep me still enough to keep a signal. crap it's time for a glass of New Zealand Sauvignon.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,122 of 6,983
Are people getting this noise on both SE and balanced out, because while not Solaris my iem are 9ohm and fairly sensitive and I hear nothing. I've only used balanced out.

Yep I tried spotify and Amazon HD and I hear nothing. And I could hear hiss on wm1a and zx300. Also my bluetooth seemed better last night after the upgrade but still not rock solid.

I'll mess with it more thoroughly later. Maybe it was just luck last night

I've only used SE so far and can't test if it's still the same when used through balanced out as I don't have a spare balanced cable.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,123 of 6,983
I've only used SE so far and can't test if it's still the same when used through balanced out as I don't have a spare balanced cable.
Def sounds like RF interference issues, which is mostly noticeable with sensitive IEMs. That’s what happens when you put a 1W+ amp into a small metal container. Also points to shielding issues that affect Bluetooth. If you’ve spent any time in the R6 Pro thread you’ll find similar issues, although BT on the R6 Pro is rock solid. With so much power something has to give, and that’s a bit of high level noise that’s usually not an issue when music is playing. Just my 0.02.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,124 of 6,983
Ok if I sit still and don't move. If I breathe in and say a mala of mantras. If my body is absorbed in meditative bliss. The DX160 stays still and Bluetooth sends a fairly good sound to my FiiO BTR3. Should my concentration lapse and I move the DX160, even a little, the Bluetooth 5 signal becomes like pork crackling. It crackles and crunches.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,125 of 6,983
So reset my Bluetooth and Wireless. Got volume levels back....but there is a Bluetooth problem. If I sit still its OK, but the minute I move the DX160 it cuts in and out. It would be great to get a message from iBasso acknowledging the problem. It's an empirical factual true problem for me and you abitdeef. What about others? Hopefully it's fixable by Firmware. LURKER is Bluetooth stable with your Firmware???? Looks like my meditation will keep me still enough to keep a signal. crap it's time for a glass of New Zealand Sauvignon.

Yes it's not stable, It definitely needs some work. Paul did say they were going to check on it. A little QC testing before final production and distribution would go a long way.

Please fix it lbasso, for us 'entitled' folks :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back