iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 1, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #1,141 of 6,983
I just tried it myself and I don’t see any kind of Grid at all?

Wait, hold on, I see something... Never mind, it was just a reflection of my ugly mug :D

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,142 of 6,983
I would be surprise to see people use AK SP2K and EarPods pros :wink:

I then would want to take a picture with him and take his autograph too

Actually, what gets me surprised sometimes is when I see people buying $3k+ DAPs *only* to use them as a digital source to drive external DAC/amp.

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,143 of 6,983
I don't see anything, just a black screen. Put it under my large loop and still can't see anything, just a black screen. What am I looking for?

Wait, hold on, I see something... Never mind, it was just a reflection of my ugly mug :D
It should be pretty obvious. Maybe there are multiple models of touchscreen being used on the DX160?

Some with and some without a visible grid?

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,144 of 6,983
Guys i think we need perspective here. It's very simple. If something is advertised on a device it should be there.. if it ain't it ain't right.. see that was simple.. People who try to defend this situation are not helping iBasso.. they are being complacent and that in turn makes the manufacturer the same. We all love the ibasso sound and want it to improve. i don't see anything wrong with constructive criticism. Fanboys don't bite me.. i have flatulence :D:D

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #1,146 of 6,983
It should be pretty obvious. Maybe there are multiple models of touchscreen being used on the DX160?

Some with and some without a visible grid?

I just tried it as well. Sadly, I too am one of the grid-less losers :p

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,147 of 6,983
Guys i think we need perspective here. It's very simple. If something is advertised on a device it should be there.. if it ain't it ain't right.. see that was simple.. People who try to defend this situation are not helping iBasso.. they are being complacent and that in turn makes the manufacturer the same. We all love the ibasso sound and want it to improve. i don't see anything wrong with constructive criticism. Fanboys don't bite me.. i have flatulence :D:D

Oh, I knew you were full of hot air :p

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #1,148 of 6,983
Are you guys having issues with the DX160 as a BT emitter (in which case only codecs and stability should make a difference to sound) or as a receiver?
I plan on getting one of these great new $500 Android DAPs, and my main use case will be as an LDAC/aptX HD receiver, with my phone as emitter. So BT stability is paramount. How much trouble on that front?
It is now widely known that BT 5.0 brings zero improvement to the quality or range of audio transmission vs 4.2. But I hoped its inclusion meant the BT chip was more modern, therefore more capable. I’m eager to know what iBasso finds out on that front, as bad BT signal would disqualify the DX160 for me.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,149 of 6,983
Are you guys having issues with the DX160 as a BT emitter (in which case only codecs and stability should make a difference to sound) or as a receiver?
I plan on getting one of these great new $500 Android DAPs, and my main use case will be as an LDAC/aptX HD receiver, with my phone as emitter. So BT stability is paramount. How much trouble on that front?
It is now widely known that BT 5.0 brings zero improvement to the quality or range of audio transmission vs 4.2. But I hoped its inclusion meant the BT chip was more modern, therefore more capable. I’m eager to know what iBasso finds out on that front, as bad BT signal would disqualify the DX160 for me.

As a transmitter it has stability problems.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,150 of 6,983
Oh, I knew you were full of hot air :p
I'll bet he has to be careful around open flames :ksc75smile:!

Anyways, I think most would agree that things should work as advertised without the user having to resort to heroics, advanced engineering degrees, or divine intervention.

However, people should also be aware of and educated about the limitations of the technologies they pursue. If one does a little basic reading and studying of BT technology you will quickly find that it is prone to interference and was never intended for high bandwidth applications. Now in BT 5.0 the burst rate was doubled to 2Mbit/sec at the expense of range or conversely the range could be 4x greater at the expense of burst rate. Burst is just what it's definition tells you - so not for sustained high bandwidth data transmissions like might be associated with hires music, etc. Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth and then see if you have a better understanding of the challenges that might be encountered on the path to perfect BT enjoyment.

I choose to stick with wired connected IEM's and memory cards but respect those that prefer to take advantage of all the wireless technology as well. At least Paul/iBasso have committed to investigating the reported issues.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,151 of 6,983
It's as the others have described, it's not the same hissing you get with other DAPs but a light scratching noise
exactly, scratching - very faint, but there.

For those who have used both unbalanced and balanced out, is the noise about the same or is one better than the other?

Are people getting this noise on both SE and balanced out,

I've only used SE so far and can't test if it's still the same when used through balanced out as I don't have a spare balanced cable.

I will be able to confirm this once my balanced cable gets here. unfortunately, EA is on backorder for the cable I've ordered.

WELL... You CAN open it up and put tdk noise suppression sheets on the components to reduce interference.

now that's interesting. I may PM you about this. Do you have a DX160? If I can figure out how to open it, I just may try the mod you suggest. But I'd need guidance on where to place this shielding.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,152 of 6,983
Definitely doing it properly. Look we all love the sound of the DX160. It's stunning. Bluetooth needs some work. We can't hide from that and sooner or later the facts come out in everything. I hope iBasso can fix it through firmware.

What bluetooth headphones/earphones are you using?
I am using Sony 1000XM3 with the DX160 and the connection has been stable. No drops or issues at all.
Are you using the DX160 to send the bluetooth signal to Fiio BTR3? And then to your headphones?

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,153 of 6,983
What bluetooth headphones/earphones are you using?
I am using Sony 1000XM3 with the DX160 and the connection has been stable. No drops or issues at all.
Are you using the DX160 to send the bluetooth signal to Fiio BTR3? And then to your headphones?
You didn't ask me but I am using the Sony 1000XM2 or the prior version to yours. I can walk about the house, I get a little bit of cut out with 2 walls and a lot with 3 walls, so that isn't practical with 3 walls. If I cover the left cup with my hand, it cuts out, but then why would I do that but just an observation so the body can interfere with the signal, which is more or less to be expected due to the freq of the bt and that when I did this, it was already going through 1 or 2 walls. I am now on the latest FW.

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,155 of 6,983
Hi there pranavtripathi
I have a variety of Bluetooth receivers including the FiiO BTR3 which will take any 3.5mm Headphone/IEM/BUD. I have 3 other Bluetooth DAPs including the FiiO M9, FiiO M6, and also my Samsung S9+ phone. Each one of those send LDAC, with stability, without any signal dropping to the BTR3. Like most on this thread I usually use wired IEMs or Buds and the sound is second to none...impressive. But sooner or later any problems with a DAP will emerge. The truth seems to hurt some on this thread...but it's the truth. I still love the sound of the DX160 but I cannot see the point of some being in denial. It's empirical. It can be checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back