iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 1, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #1,081 of 6,983
This screen noise (new term) is a little disconcerting... though not widely reported. Maybe let more people with the device chime in.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #1,083 of 6,983
What do you mean? please kindly elaborate
Ok, when you switch off the screen on the DX160, you can see that theres a grid of sorts right?

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #1,084 of 6,983
I have a similar experience with my CA Solaris paired with the DX160. At first it was, like you said, more noisy when streaming videos or Spotify. But after spending more time with them, I'm not sure if the noise is present only when streaming (due to problem with RF interference). I think it may be like that video review said -- the hissing gets more noticeable when you're using the display a lot. I get hissing even with the wifi off using the Hiby/Mango player if I'm using the display but there's very little to no hissing with the display off. On the reverse, there were times when I got minimal to barely any noise when streaming on Spotify and that was when the display was off.

I don't think it's because RF interference, when using offline mode on spotify, those noise still there. I don't think it's because screen on. When screen on or off, noise still there and sometime it' got louder when screen is off. I really don't know why. I try contact ibasso, they say they not find same problem. Just look like it's affect some sensitive IEM. Hope i can find another DX160 user, so i can try it's on they DX160. my suspect is when using streaming app, i don't know how, it's like DX160 gain is higher than when using mango app. Because after i close spotify, wait several minutes, there is some pop sound occurred than those noise is gone (or significantly drop)

Do uapp and neutron work on it too? does it support dlna/ upnp?

I installed UAPP no problem

Ok, when you switch off the screen on the DX160, you can see that theres a grid of sorts right?
Old type touch screen i think. There is dot on screen for it's touch screen

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #1,085 of 6,983
Is the DX160 on par with Chord Mojo?

different sounding, but yes, Id have to say it's on par for sure!

Hows your battery life? Does anybody else's drain super fast?
I'm getting close to 10 hours single ended, rai penta, volume 30, neutron in 64 bit processing mode with 8 PEQ filters active. very acceptable battery

not talking about the usual hiss when using with sensitive IEMs but noise when scrolling/touching the screen. anyone with CA Andromeda/Solaris can confirm this?

This screen noise (new term) is a little disconcerting... though not widely reported. Maybe let more people with the device chime in.

I covered this here: Post #601

It only happens with sensitive monitors and only when the processor ramps up and the screen is on - ie scrolling, etc. it's clearly CPU 'HF noise' making it's way to the analog output. I can't hear it when music is playing and I'm scrolling around like mad with the screen on. it's really a non-issue guys. With the screen off, and playing digital silence track, it's DEAD SILENT. very good noise performance with zero hissing for Rai Penta. With Focal Elear it's silent even when screen on and scrolling. I can't hear the noise with this higher impedance headphone. same with hd600.

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #1,086 of 6,983
Hey guys, just wanna leave an update on the latest firmware 1.02.109. It fixed the batt juice guzzling problem for now. I monitor the drain in 15 mins block and prior to this FM, it was using 5% for very 15 mins block. Now it is only 2% for every 15 mins. Again my play settings is as such (audiosense T800 3.5 SE, tracks played mostly Flac at 16bit/44.1, all functions off, volume at 35 to 40 depending on tracks played, resolution set to 720 and minimal screen on time). So if you extrapolate the numbers it probably gives ard 12.5 hrs of play which is around what was advertised.

So far the 15mins block observation on batt drain is pretty consistent :) Will update again should there be any new exceptions or anomalies to this.

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #1,087 of 6,983
latest firmware 1.02.109
already an update? damn, @Lurker0 has his work cut out for him. BTW, I want to express my gratitude for such an awesome addon. His rom additions have made the ibasso DAPs complete and perfect for Neutron and UAPP users. so ..... THANK YOU SIR!!!!

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #1,089 of 6,983
I don't have the device. Just trying to understand

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #1,090 of 6,983
Just checked UAPP v.5.3.1. At the first launch, it notified me that compatible device (DX160) was detected, and played DSD256 natively just fine! The update came via Google Play Store.

Nov 1, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #1,091 of 6,983
Just checked UAPP v.5.3.1. At the first launch, it notified me that compatible device (DX160) was detected, and played DSD256 natively just fine! The update came via Google Play Store.
Would you be kind enough to tell me if upnp/ DLNA can be used with UAPP on the DX160 please.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #1,092 of 6,983
It only happens with sensitive monitors and only when the processor ramps up and the screen is on - ie scrolling, etc. it's clearly CPU 'HF noise' making it's way to the analog output. I can't hear it when music is playing and I'm scrolling around like mad with the screen on. it's really a non-issue guys. With the screen off, and playing digital silence track, it's DEAD SILENT. very good noise performance with zero hissing for Rai Penta. With Focal Elear it's silent even when screen on and scrolling. I can't hear the noise with this higher impedance headphone. same with hd600.
Well it's kinda disappointing seeing this noise exist, even inaudible when playing music. We pay for DAPs dedicated to playing music and while the THD numbers are getting smaller and smaller we have these problems that defeat the whole purpose.
Some might argue we are not constantly using the device and touching the screen while listening to music but that doesn't mean such problems should exist.
I think most people buy DAPs for IEMs and not full sized cans so manufacturers have to make sure they play along well even with most sensitive IEMs. I understand some DAPs have slight hiss with sensitive IEMs but this kind of noise is not acceptable to me. Unfortunately these problems often can't be fixed by software, so I hope iBasso will address the issue in the future batches of DX160.
That being said, I'm still waiting to hear more impressions from people with sensitive IEMs such as Andromeda and Solaris. I like the design and the screen of this device and I've heard only good things about the sound. I hope this issue gets fixed somehow.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #1,093 of 6,983

For me, its really big issue. 2 of my IEM have this annoying noise, even when screen is off. Sometime it's get louder when screen is off. What the point have streaming DAP if we cannot enjoys it streaming app. my first dap from ibasso and its very disappointing.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #1,094 of 6,983
Agree. We can use our mobile phones as a dap if we want basic performance, but when you buy a dedicated DAP one does expect it to work to a high standard.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #1,095 of 6,983
if upnp/ DLNA can be used with UAPP on the DX160
Never tried and I have no upnp/DLNA setup to test with. But, if it is the basic UAPP functionality, it should work, and if it does not, you should contact UAPP developers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back