iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 17, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #5,071 of 6,983
Hi fellow DX160 owners, when I first got the dap I uninstalled quite a few apps that I didn't need. What can I do to get them back? I will be giving the dap to a friend just wanna return it to stock like condition.

Dec 17, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #5,072 of 6,983
Hi fellow DX160 owners, when I first got the dap I uninstalled quite a few apps that I didn't need. What can I do to get them back? I will be giving the dap to a friend just wanna return it to stock like condition.

A factory reset should do the trick.
Else download the Firmware from the iBasso page, put it on the internal storage, install it via manual update and then factory reset.

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #5,074 of 6,983
Today I listened to the DX160 for 90 minutes and the battery drained from 95% to 70%. Headphones were my Sony MDR-CD900ST studio monitors (63Ω), output was single ended and the gain setting was on high. Music files were FLAC 96kHz/24bit. So basically, if you plan on using this player with full-sized headphones and hi-res files then I wouldn't expect to get much more than 5 or 6 hours playback from a full battery charge. Not sure how that compares to other players, just an observation.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #5,075 of 6,983
I for myself use it with Lurker's Firmware, then disable all Google Services via USB-App, put it in flightmode and turn the screen down to 0%, which is still bright enougth.
Over night it drains 3% and 7-8% per hour on low gain with IEM's via 4,4mm pentacon.
With Lurker's you also can start Mango mode which provides even more less drain, but you loose the ability to search albums or interprets, you can just browse them.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #5,076 of 6,983
I for myself use it with Lurker's Firmware, then disable all Google Services via USB-App, put it in flightmode and turn the screen down to 0%, which is still bright enougth.
Over night it drains 3% and 7-8% per hour on low gain with IEM's via 4,4mm pentacon.
With Lurker's you also can start Mango mode which provides even more less drain, but you loose the ability to search albums or interprets, you can just browse them.
I ll be trying the flight mode for sure since that doesn't affect the reproduction quality..... :wink:

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #5,077 of 6,983

I ll be trying the flight mode for sure since that doesn't affect the reproduction quality..... :wink:

Forgot to mention I always have it on flight mode with the screen turned off during playback. Might give Lurker's firmware a try sometime in the future.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #5,078 of 6,983
Hi guys, I just got my DX160 and I love the upgraded sound I get over just plugging into a laptop. New world. I installed Lurker and also Syncthing to wirelessly sync all my lossless music whenever there are updates on my NAS. Just a couple of n00b questions:

- What is Mango Mode and why should I be using it?
- How do I get out of Mango Mode back to normal mode?
- In Mango player how do I add tracks to the play queue? Long pressing only lets me delete or add to a playlist
- Should I be using Hiby Music player in USB DAC mode instead of Mango player? Or using Mango Mode?

Battery drain has been a little startling the first week I have been using it, but I will use it for a little longer before I start to worry about battery management.

**Oh! And I wish there was a tap to wake screen to see my track - I read some past posts about an app that enabled this that no longer works...

***Oh and the battery saver mode red bars is a little annoying too but I guess if the unit is off 90% of the time to save battery then I guess I shouldnt be too bothered by it.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #5,079 of 6,983
Forgot to mention I always have it on flight mode with the screen turned off during playback. Might give Lurker's firmware a try sometime in the future.
For the record.... I was about to...
But since I ve read some stuff here about "static electricity" noises during the playback I ended up being kinda suspicious about it.... Don't really want to mess things up there
Apart from that... the message from lurker himself "download on your responsibility" got me preoccupied even more..... :confused:

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #5,080 of 6,983
For the record.... I was about to...
But since I ve read some stuff here about "static electricity" noises during the playback I ended up being kinda suspicious about it.... Don't really want to mess things up there
Apart from that... the message from lurker himself "download on your responsibility" got me preoccupied even more..... :confused:

Just put the original firmware file on the internal storage and reflash it via the update menu, when you think Lurker's does something wrong.

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #5,081 of 6,983
Just put the original firmware file on the internal storage and reflash it via the update menu, when you think Lurker's does something wrong.
Apart from any other enhancements regarding hiby app or mango OS improvements, did you find any improvement in sound overall via lurker fw?? Real significant changes in sound I mean....

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #5,082 of 6,983
Apart from any other enhancements regarding hiby app or mango OS improvements, did you find any improvement in sound overall via lurker fw?? Real significant changes in sound I mean....
Imo with mango os the sound is noticeably better. Clearer, larger and more holographic soundstage beyond what any player in android mode offers.

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #5,084 of 6,983
Thinking about the Lurker firmware, USB Audio Player PRO and sound quality (amongst other things), I ended up coming to the following conclusion. Wouldn't it make more sense just sticking with your smartphone and getting a Chord Mojo (similarly priced to the DX160)? That way you have all the functionality of the latest Android, Google Play (and therefore the ability to use USB APP), a large and clear display (depending on your phone), and the advantage of always having your music files stored on your phone if you just want to listen casually when you don't have your DAP with you (some of us do still use files and not streaming!). Plus the Mojo has more power to single-ended than the DX160.

Am I missing something? Apart from the DX160 being an all-in-one unit with a balanced output, the smartphone/Mojo option would seem to be a better option for many, especially if you do a lot of listening at home (i.e. don't need that reduced form factor). My phone battery lasts for days, even left playing music (mostly mp3) for hours on end, probably longer if I switch it to airplane mode.

I'm considering going this route, so if there's something I should be aware of then please chime in!

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #5,085 of 6,983
Thinking about the Lurker firmware, USB Audio Player PRO and sound quality (amongst other things), I ended up coming to the following conclusion. Wouldn't it make more sense just sticking with your smartphone and getting a Chord Mojo (similarly priced to the DX160)? That way you have all the functionality of the latest Android, Google Play (and therefore the ability to use USB APP), a large and clear display (depending on your phone), and the advantage of always having your music files stored on your phone if you just want to listen casually when you don't have your DAP with you (some of us do still use files and not streaming!). Plus the Mojo has more power to single-ended than the DX160.

Am I missing something? Apart from the DX160 being an all-in-one unit with a balanced output, the smartphone/Mojo option would seem to be a better option for many, especially if you do a lot of listening at home (i.e. don't need that reduced form factor). My phone battery lasts for days, even left playing music (mostly mp3) for hours on end, probably longer if I switch it to airplane mode.

I'm considering going this route, so if there's something I should be aware of then please chime in!

If your Phone supports enougth storage for the music you want to have while you are mobile, sure.
But consider a Fiio BTR5 or a Qudelix 5K or even a E1DA 9038S/D which are in the 100€ realm instead of the Chord Mojo which has vintage technology in it and measures only OK for 500€.
If you ever want more then using it as USB-DAC feel free fo buy a 600€ Bluetooth addon modul for it...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back