iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #5,086 of 6,983
If your Phone supports enougth storage for the music you want to have while you are mobile, sure.
But consider a Fiio BTR5 or a Qudelix 5K or even a E1DA 9038S/D which are in the 100€ realm instead of the Chord Mojo which has vintage technology in it and measures only OK for 500€.
If you ever want more then using it as USB-DAC feel free fo buy a 600€ Bluetooth addon modul for it...

I was thinking about getting a Mojo just a couple of months ago. It still seems to be popular despite "vintage" technology. If it sounds good, I can put up with it being out of date.:)

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #5,087 of 6,983
Thinking about the Lurker firmware, USB Audio Player PRO and sound quality (amongst other things), I ended up coming to the following conclusion. Wouldn't it make more sense just sticking with your smartphone and getting a Chord Mojo (similarly priced to the DX160)? That way you have all the functionality of the latest Android, Google Play (and therefore the ability to use USB APP), a large and clear display (depending on your phone), and the advantage of always having your music files stored on your phone if you just want to listen casually when you don't have your DAP with you (some of us do still use files and not streaming!). Plus the Mojo has more power to single-ended than the DX160.

Am I missing something? Apart from the DX160 being an all-in-one unit with a balanced output, the smartphone/Mojo option would seem to be a better option for many, especially if you do a lot of listening at home (i.e. don't need that reduced form factor). My phone battery lasts for days, even left playing music (mostly mp3) for hours on end, probably longer if I switch it to airplane mode.

I'm considering going this route, so if there's something I should be aware of then please chime in!
The SQ of the mojo is more comparable to last gen's midrange daps like the FiiO X5iii and Cayin N5ii.

Which the DX160 outclasses

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #5,089 of 6,983
Really? That's interesting. I guess Mojo caused such a stir when it came out, I still think of it as being sonically superior to most DAPs.
You're probably talking about Mojo+poly combo, but at its current price and state of the market its a tough sell.

Even if you argue you want warmth over the detail and soundstage the DX160 provides, the Cayin N3 Pro is there to fill in the gap, squeezing out other products in that niche.

The midrange is a very competitive space where daps constantly leapfrog one another.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #5,091 of 6,983
Yes, it'll be interesting to see what comes after the DX160. It's a great little machine for the price!
The Fiio Q3 looks like another reasonable DAC/amp option for smartphone use, although I'm guessing it's outclassed by the DX160.
Never tried that one so I'm not sure.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #5,092 of 6,983
Thinking about the Lurker firmware, USB Audio Player PRO and sound quality (amongst other things), I ended up coming to the following conclusion. Wouldn't it make more sense just sticking with your smartphone and getting a Chord Mojo (similarly priced to the DX160)? That way you have all the functionality of the latest Android, Google Play (and therefore the ability to use USB APP), a large and clear display (depending on your phone), and the advantage of always having your music files stored on your phone if you just want to listen casually when you don't have your DAP with you (some of us do still use files and not streaming!). Plus the Mojo has more power to single-ended than the DX160.

Am I missing something? Apart from the DX160 being an all-in-one unit with a balanced output, the smartphone/Mojo option would seem to be a better option for many, especially if you do a lot of listening at home (i.e. don't need that reduced form factor). My phone battery lasts for days, even left playing music (mostly mp3) for hours on end, probably longer if I switch it to airplane mode.

I'm considering going this route, so if there's something I should be aware of then please chime in!
It's as you said it man....
Plus : I am still using files like the rest of you instead of streaming
It's more than obvious that the quality of downloaded files its way above the streaming quality... Everybody knows that, and in addition to this, this quality is what you eventually hear during playback.
So.... Instead of downloading Lurker's update its more important to use flac/wave music files... IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!
Furthermore, why bothering and experimenting with different firmwares, when anyone who is serious at this hobby, can tell you that the most crucial (by far) factor in the playback quality is the earphone earphone itself!!!!
That's IT..... PERIOD
Sure the player plays its part there and the dap implementation as well, but not the most important believe me....
THE earphone makes the big difference..
All of these of course when speaking of sound quality alone
And that is what matters the most IMHO always, the sound quality during the playback...... If you have a good earphone.. do not bother with anything else man...
It's just neat picking stuff......
My one & only complain with DX160 would be the battery life.. But I can live with that.... Since the SQ is great combined with a good earphone... :kissing_cat:

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #5,093 of 6,983
It's more than obvious that the quality of downloaded files its way above the streaming quality...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way! I still have a large collection of CDs, and to tell the truth I can't honestly tell the difference between ripped CDs at 16 bit/44.1kHz and Hi-Res downloads (if they're well recorded and played back on decent gear).

I've just had a look at the specs for my smartphone, and it supports up to 2TB micro SD cards. It has a Snapdragon processor, excellent battery life (20-30 hours), as well as a crystal clear 6.3 inch display (2,280x1,080px). Guess I should have thought about all of this a bit more before buying a brand new DX-160!

I'm not bashing the DX-160 at all, it's a fantastic little music player for an all-in-one solution. However, I'm thinking I could have just bought a DAC/amp for my phone which may have offered more flexibility and a better interface, especially as I do most of my listening at home and not on the go. In fact, I'm now thinking of getting an iFi hip-dac for my phone and installing USB Audio Player PRO . If it works better for me, I'll probably sell the DX-160.

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #5,094 of 6,983
It's as you said it man....
Plus : I am still using files like the rest of you instead of streaming
It's more than obvious that the quality of downloaded files its way above the streaming quality... Everybody knows that, and in addition to this, this quality is what you eventually hear during playback.
So.... Instead of downloading Lurker's update its more important to use flac/wave music files... IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!
Furthermore, why bothering and experimenting with different firmwares, when anyone who is serious at this hobby, can tell you that the most crucial (by far) factor in the playback quality is the earphone earphone itself!!!!
That's IT..... PERIOD
Sure the player plays its part there and the dap implementation as well, but not the most important believe me....
THE earphone makes the big difference..
All of these of course when speaking of sound quality alone
And that is what matters the most IMHO always, the sound quality during the playback...... If you have a good earphone.. do not bother with anything else man...
It's just neat picking stuff......
My one & only complain with DX160 would be the battery life.. But I can live with that.... Since the SQ is great combined with a good earphone... :kissing_cat:
I've had "good" earphones for years, but you know. Good is never enough :p

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #5,095 of 6,983
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way! I still have a large collection of CDs, and to tell the truth I can't honestly tell the difference between ripped CDs at 16 bit/44.1kHz and Hi-Res downloads (if they're well recorded and played back on decent gear).

I've just had a look at the specs for my smartphone, and it supports up to 2TB micro SD cards. It has a Snapdragon processor, excellent battery life (20-30 hours), as well as a crystal clear 6.3 inch display (2,280x1,080px). Guess I should have thought about all of this a bit more before buying a brand new DX-160!

I'm not bashing the DX-160 at all, it's a fantastic little music player for an all-in-one solution. However, I'm thinking I could have just bought a DAC/amp for my phone which may have offered more flexibility and a better interface, especially as I do most of my listening at home and not on the go. In fact, I'm now thinking of getting an iFi hip-dac for my phone and installing USB Audio Player PRO . If it works better for me, I'll probably sell the DX-160.
My humble opinion bro...
Don't spend the money on hip dac
Get a quality dongle as ibasso DC02/03..
at the quarter of the price...save money for a decent monitor... You really don't need anything else...
If your main interest/priority is Sound Quality get a decent monitor....

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #5,096 of 6,983
I've had "good" earphones for years, but you know. Good is never enough :p
That's the cost of being addicted bro..
We all here need serious psychotherapy..
And take that seriously, I am not joking...
Not at all... Greed is the name of the game here... I am trying for years to stop but without any luck.....it's like a disease all right

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #5,097 of 6,983
Just received my replacement DX160 at first one was faulty. Taken an age (across 3 days) to download HD tracks from Amazon music and finding that when playing offline through Amazon app it is jumping like crazy. Using Blon BL03 with 4.4mm balanced cable. Anyone any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Using Lurkers latest firmware.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #5,098 of 6,983
Just received my replacement DX160 at first one was faulty. Taken an age (across 3 days) to download HD tracks from Amazon music and finding that when playing offline through Amazon app it is jumping like crazy. Using Blon BL03 with 4.4mm balanced cable. Anyone any suggestions as to what could causing this? Using Lurkers latest firmware.
Just let go of lurker fw & flash the latest original firmware again....

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #5,100 of 6,983
Thanks, do you know if the downloads will survive a re-flash of the original firmware?
[/QUOTE/]
By downloads what do you mean exactly?
It's like performing a reset there.. For example
All the music files previously downloaded stay safe...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back