iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #1,636 of 6,983
Would buy a DX160 immediately, if not for these "random" Wifi noise and Bluetooth connection issues. (Even though my primary use would be direct from MicroSd Card, I would like to use those other from time to time without having noise, or bluetooth that doesn't connect... )
- I have a difficult time understanding how iBasso is unable to find ANY faults with the returned devices so far. Because IF they cannot duplicate the problem(s), then they will never be able to resolve them. (Paul reports that iBasso's tech folks seem to deny there is a problem; as they don't see it in their lab. )
- Like If iBasso can't duplicate the Poor Bluetooth, or the "Scatchy" Wifi; What exactly are they working on? How would they ever know if they fixed a problem, or made it worse if their internal testing can't duplicate the problem(s).
- Wish someone could visit iBasso, with their problem DX160, and demonstrate the issues "face to face"/directly with the iBasso Engineers.... (Need someone in China with same issues, I suppose?)
Trouble is the retailers cop all the problems and have to refund. Not a nice set of affairs. For sure some batches are not right. Someone pays in the end.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #1,637 of 6,983
Would buy a DX160 immediately, if not for these "random" Wifi noise and Bluetooth connection issues. (Even though my primary use would be direct from MicroSd Card, I would like to use those other from time to time without having noise, or bluetooth that doesn't connect... )
- I have a difficult time understanding how iBasso is unable to find ANY faults with the returned devices so far. Because IF they cannot duplicate the problem(s), then they will never be able to resolve them. (Paul reports that iBasso's tech folks seem to deny there is a problem; as they don't see it in their lab. )
- Like If iBasso can't duplicate the Poor Bluetooth, or the "Scatchy" Wifi; What exactly are they working on? How would they ever know if they fixed a problem, or made it worse if their internal testing can't duplicate the problem(s).
- Wish someone could visit iBasso, with their problem DX160, and demonstrate the issues "face to face"/directly with the iBasso Engineers.... (Need someone in China with same issues, I suppose?)
I am also interested in trying out the DX160 and it appears that this is a common issue where the customer can see the issue but the vendor cannot see it at least at this moment.

In my humble observations, the fundamental thing here is for the vendor to try to reproduce the issue by recreating the exact environment (if possible) and following the steps by which the user was experiencing the issue. To this end, for those of you who have experienced the Wifi/Bluetooth issues, you need to provide to iBasso when reporting your issue(s), the environment in which you are experiencing the issue (for example, how many other bluetooth devices are within the vicinity, like phone(s), laptop, notepad/ipad, etc... that have their bluetooth feature turned on, etc...) and the step by step events while using the DX160 that lead you to experience this issue.

Without such information (environments + steps to reproduce the issue), it will be difficult for both the consumer and the vendor to come into the same "wavelength" conversation so that a solution can be discussed. In the absence of such crucial information to reproduce the issue, I can see the consumer continues to jump and down saying that the DX160 is not working with Wifi/Bluetooth, while Ibasso continues to say they are exercising these functionalities and do not observe any issues. What we are failing to ask here are how (environment + steps) does the consumer experience this issue and how (environment + steps) does the iBasso exercise these functionalities?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #1,638 of 6,983
I am also interested in trying out the DX160 and it appears that this is a common issue where the customer can see the issue but the vendor cannot see it at least at this moment.

In my humble observations, the fundamental thing here is for the vendor to try to reproduce the issue by recreating the exact environment (if possible) and following the steps by which the user was experiencing the issue. To this end, for those of you who have experienced the Wifi/Bluetooth issues, you need to provide to iBasso when reporting your issue(s), the environment in which you are experiencing the issue (for example, how many other bluetooth devices are within the vicinity, like phone(s), laptop, notepad/ipad, etc... that have their bluetooth feature turned on, etc...) and the step by step events while using the DX160 that lead you to experience this issue.

Without such information (environments + steps to reproduce the issue), it will be difficult for both the consumer and the vendor to come into the same "wavelength" conversation so that a solution can be discussed. In the absence of such crucial information to reproduce the issue, I can see the consumer continues to jump and down saying that the DX160 is not working with Wifi/Bluetooth, while Ibasso continues to say they are exercising these functionalities and do not observe any issues. What we are failing to ask here are how (environment + steps) does the consumer experience this issue and how (environment + steps) does the iBasso exercise these functionalities?
Apologies but I believe you have missed posts in this thread. The problem occurs when outside in New York City anywhere as well as when the DX160 is in a typical home environment or within 2 feet of an iPhone. I am not sure what other information would be necessary.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #1,639 of 6,983
I still can't get the USB DAC function to work with my Windows 10 laptop, after installing the relevant driver and restarting my laptop.

I have now tried several times and recently I installed a fresh version of Windows 10.

How many people out there can use the USB DAC?

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,640 of 6,983
I still can't get the USB DAC function to work with my Windows 10 laptop, after installing the relevant driver and restarting my laptop.

I have now tried several times and recently I installed a fresh version of Windows 10.

please tell me that you have already solved the problem of DX160 in USB-DAC mode, because this would be very disappointing

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,641 of 6,983
please tell me that you have already solved the problem of DX160 in USB-DAC mode, because this would be very disappointing
Not yet but I am hoping someone else will solve my problem.

But I won't hold my breath as I have already asked over a week ago but no reply yet.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #1,642 of 6,983

Please try uninstalling the other sound card drivers and reinstalling the driver for the DX160.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #1,643 of 6,983
I should mention I've only had the dx160 for a few days and had very little time with it. I've only heard the scratching/ticking once with the Tapes. It's very faint on both the Andros and the Tapes, and I don't think I've heard it while music is playing.

Also I had some improvement with my wifi network. I changes the wireless channel to auto and the channel width to HT40 and my 5GHz network is now showing and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks seem to have a stronger signal. It's still much much less than my other devices but it's an improvement.

Ok, I've spent some more time with the dx160, and when paired with my Andro golds via 3.5mm output I can hear the scratching when quiet passages of music are playing if I'm listening for it.

I turned off wifi and bluetooth and when I touch the screen or open an app I can hear the scratching. It's not a constant noise with or without wifi on. It sounds like it could be related to the processor. I'm no expert on this. It's really too bad because the sound and hardware are great.

I'm going to try balanced out and see if that helps.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #1,644 of 6,983
Ok, I've spent some more time with the dx160, and when paired with my Andro golds via 3.5mm output I can hear the scratching when quiet passages of music are playing if I'm listening for it.

I turned off wifi and bluetooth and when I touch the screen or open an app I can hear the scratching. It's not a constant noise with or without wifi on. It sounds like it could be related to the processor. I'm no expert on this. It's really too bad because the sound and hardware are great.

Thank so much for doing this test work! It should really help iBasso's Engineers Understand the "wifi" noise issue. @Paul - iBasso

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,645 of 6,983

Balanced out is a lot better IMO. With 4.4mm bal out there's a very faint constant floor noise (not audible with low volume music playing) but the scratching noise is very faint, as well. With 3.5mm SE I would say the floor noise is lower (when the scratching noise isn't happening) but the scratching is more constant and a lot more audible whether Wifi is on or not, sensitive IEM or not (although it's a lot more noticeable with sensitive IEMs).

The scratching noise is there even with wifi and bluetooth turned off, with the device on airplane mode.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #1,648 of 6,983
It sounds like it could be related to the processor.

My guess as well as I described exactly what you did just a couple weeks back.

Balanced out is a lot better IMO. With 4.4mm bal out there's a very faint constant floor noise (not audible with low volume music playing) but the scratching noise is very faint, as well. With 3.5mm SE I would say the floor noise is lower (when the scratching noise isn't happening) but the scratching is more constant and a lot more audible whether Wifi is on or not, sensitive IEM or not (although it's a lot more noticeable with sensitive IEMs).

The scratching noise is there even with wifi and bluetooth turned off, with the device on airplane mode.

Thanks this is helpful to know. I haven't received my adapter yet so I haven't been able to test the balanced.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,649 of 6,983
DSC06739.JPG

Silver special edition. I just got this thing. Looks stunning in person. Pictures does not do justice. So far so good. Loaded up a 256 gig card I had. Booted up just fine. Quick to turn on quick to load. Best screen I have seen on a music player.

How I get the special edition you might ask? It was literally the last one they had at Penon audio. Had to cancel my order from Moon audio. Once I found out it was a special edition. Well then. Burn in shall commence. So far loving the player. I read a lot about recent wifi issues and such.

All I am saying is. Right now I don't care. Lol.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #1,650 of 6,983

Silver special edition. I just got this thing. Looks stunning in person. Pictures does not do justice. So far so good. Loaded up a 256 gig card I had. Booted up just fine. Quick to turn on quick to load. Best screen I have seen on a music player.

How I get the special edition you might ask? It was literally the last one they had at Penon audio. Had to cancel my order from Moon audio. Once I found out it was a special edition. Well then. Burn in shall commence. So far loving the player. I read a lot about recent wifi issues and such.

All I am saying is. Right now I don't care. Lol.
Looks great! Does the special edition have the so called wifi noise, SoC scratching noise?? Looking forward to your comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back