iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 21, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #1,666 of 6,983
I have both dx160 and LG v35 (almost thebsame phone as V30). The sound signature is not very different, instrument placement is quite similar. Lg soundstage is little wider but soundstage of dx is clearly taller and deeper. Unlike ibasso, LG places cymbals directly in my brain which gives illussion of the smaller soundstage generally.

Dx sounds overal smoother, with more subbass, cleaner vocals and cleaner treble(much less grainy). Lg sound is little bit more hollow but somehow more punchy.

Overal difference is not huge, sound signatures are similar and the difference only matters during very critical listening. For me personally difference is worth it but to be honest I wish sound signature was little bit more different so that I could apreciate the change more.

Keep in mind that I no longer have iems and my comparision was done on Ananda, k702 and dt880.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate the time you have taken for the in depth comparison.

Considering they have a very similar sound signature I might stick with the v30. I do like the sound signature and it pairs well with my fh7. It will also save me 600 AUD.

Did you use the high impedance mode on the V30?

Cheers

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #1,667 of 6,983
I have both dx160 and LG v35 (almost thebsame phone as V30). The sound signature is not very different, instrument placement is quite similar. Lg soundstage is little wider but soundstage of dx is clearly taller and deeper. Unlike ibasso, LG places cymbals directly in my brain which gives illussion of the smaller soundstage generally.

Dx sounds overal smoother, with more subbass, cleaner vocals and cleaner treble(much less grainy). Lg sound is little bit more hollow but somehow more punchy.

Overal difference is not huge, sound signatures are similar and the difference only matters during very critical listening. For me personally difference is worth it but to be honest I wish sound signature was little bit more different so that I could apreciate the change more.

Keep in mind that I no longer have iems and my comparision was done on Ananda, k702 and dt880.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate the time you have taken for the in depth comparison.

Considering they have a very similar sound signature I might stick with the v30. I do like the sound signature and it pairs well with my fh7. It will also save me 600 AUD.

Cheers

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #1,668 of 6,983
soundstage of dx is clearly taller and deeper

I have DX160 and V30. While the V30 continually impresses me - it just can't do what the DX160 can. The ibasso is more out of your head experience. especially height and depth. Layering and resolution is a smidge better on ibasso as well IMO.

But, if I had to live with my V30 and no other DAP, I'd be just fine. It really is an admirable performer. Tone, clarity and punch are all great, but it's a bit two dimensional is all - the immersion factor just isn't there like the 160. Actually, I use my V30 nearly as much as the 160 (for when I'm on the go and don't want to have another device to carry).

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #1,669 of 6,983

Cheers
Well i don't have v30, only v20. It's tonal imho is similiar, even those two have similar problem, when i force always high impedance mode with sensitive IEM, there is scratching noise. fortunately i can lower it's db, noise is reduced, although it's not enough for shozy bg.
But from V20 to DX160, there is lots improvement imho.

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #1,670 of 6,983

Cheers
I usually "trick" it to the Aux mode when using Anandas by a small extension chord, but sometimes I listen on normal mode for its more relaxed sound. With k702 it automatically triggers high gain.

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #1,671 of 6,983
As an outsider reading about the noise issues it seems it may be related to specific environments and use cases.

Has anyone with an issue received a replacement that did not exhibit the same behaviour?

If not, a functioning unit user should maybe temporarily swap with someone who has issues so both sides can test.

Not sure how that could be organised, must be a way with today's modern social media options... I am too old to know :)

I don't own a Dx160 myself but can empathise with how frustrating this must be for those affected, including iBasso

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #1,672 of 6,983
Just installed the hiby app. I feel it sounds better on hiby.

Tried using bluetooth of my car and it works at hiby app. Not sure why it does not work on the mango player but its ok on the hiby app. Not yet used it extensively but it still does not cutoff. Will try to play it more to check

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,673 of 6,983
I feel it sounds better on hiby.

I too have noticed different sounds with players, though they shouldn't sound any different. The native mango app sends bit perfect, but sends an unaltered 16 bit stream to the hardware layer. Hiby uses bit padding to send a 24 bit stream - still considered bit perfect however. This can be observed by checking the ALSA state using @Lurker0 's firmware (it's a feature of the included USB audio app and can be used to check ALSA even if not using USB).

However, I prefer the Mango app over Hiby for sound quality. We all have our preferences! As long as sample rate conversion (SRC) isn't happening, it's all acceptable to me!

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,674 of 6,983
Ok, I've spent some more time with the dx160, and when paired with my Andro golds via 3.5mm output I can hear the scratching when quiet passages of music are playing if I'm listening for it.

I turned off wifi and bluetooth and when I touch the screen or open an app I can hear the scratching. It's not a constant noise with or without wifi on. It sounds like it could be related to the processor. I'm no expert on this. It's really too bad because the sound and hardware are great.

I'm going to try balanced out and see if that helps.

So I put a balanced cable on the Andromeda Golds and the noise seems to have gone away. Don't know how or why, but it's gone for now. Wifi range is still bad but I'll take my small victory here.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #1,676 of 6,983
Just installed the hiby app. I feel it sounds better on hiby.

Tried using bluetooth of my car and it works at hiby app. Not sure why it does not work on the mango player but its ok on the hiby app. Not yet used it extensively but it still does not cutoff. Will try to play it more to check

Ok. I tried the bluetooth to my car again earlier and it connect but there was no sound. Oh well. Its a good thing i dont use bluetooth

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #1,677 of 6,983
Der all,

just wanted to feedback to one oft my earlier posts:

My Project is done: i have converted my total collection to mp3 320kbps and loaded it to a 1tb micro SD card.
Now i have about 79000 Tracks running on my Dx160.
This is running with power amp almost to perfection.
Reading time of the library about 15 minutes..

For comparison, USB audio player pro took almost one day and even after that it took almost forever if you want to choose any track... I have deinstalled it, due to this, and due to lack of support.
Also mango player and hiby could not handle this amount of files properly as per my experience.

Maybe someone else knows a player which can do this...

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,679 of 6,983
Der all,

just wanted to feedback to one oft my earlier posts:

My Project is done: i have converted my total collection to mp3 320kbps and loaded it to a 1tb micro SD card.
Now i have about 79000 Tracks running on my Dx160.
This is running with power amp almost to perfection.
Reading time of the library about 15 minutes..

For comparison, USB audio player pro took almost one day and even after that it took almost forever if you want to choose any track... I have deinstalled it, due to this, and due to lack of support.
Also mango player and hiby could not handle this amount of files properly as per my experience.

Maybe someone else knows a player which can do this...
What app do you use to listen to your music now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back