iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 13, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #1,546 of 6,983
Do any of you feel that the power button (when with the tpu case) feels mushy? Doesn’t really click but works?

I really dislike the TPU case. I also accidentally press the skip/play/back buttons too easily too. I bought the EASECASE leather case, but not sure when it'll ship

Nov 14, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #1,547 of 6,983
It is well known, that brief comparisons often don't tell the difference: it is better to get used to a new device for a long time, then try to return to the old one to feel the real difference...

More than 2 months ago I started using DX160, switching from DX200CuAu+AMP9. Unlike DX150 and DX220, DX160 didn't push me back, and all these days DX200CuAu was collecting dust. Yesterday I've built an add-on to support just released firmware with high gain option for AMP9, and, of course, now I'm testing it. Well, with high gain the dynamic is better, and overall experience is better than before, but... guess what? I miss DX160's sound! I do understand that, after two months of no use, tubes need to be burned it once again, and I hear this combo is evolving for the past hours, but I still miss the sound of DX160!

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #1,549 of 6,983
Here's another review, he doesn't mention bluetooth or wifi performance. But It's a pretty thorough sound assessment.

https://moonstarreviews.net/ibasso-dx160-digital-audio-player-review/

"The iBasso DX160 supports two-way Bluetooth 5.0 audio transmission and has native LDAC and Aptx support, which means that you can send and receive your audio from/to external devices like Headphones/Speakers/Phones/Tablets etc."

That's from the review. I actually bought my DX160 on the basis of some other reviews on this thread. If receiving a free DX160 for review makes a reviewer sloppy enough not to test and report on the Bluetooth then I reckon Paul has not got the right reviewers. Some of us spent our "real" money on this DAP and expected the reviewers to at least check the Bluetooth. If it's beneath the 'purists' to even check the Bluetooth that is not good and you are letting us and iBasso down. Fine if you did check it and the DX160's BT worked well. For those reviewers who did not test the BT then the question is...why did you not do what you should have done?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #1,550 of 6,983
"The iBasso DX160 supports two-way Bluetooth 5.0 audio transmission and has native LDAC and Aptx support, which means that you can send and receive your audio from/to external devices like Headphones/Speakers/Phones/Tablets etc."

That's from the review. I actually bought my DX160 on the basis of some other reviews on this thread. If receiving a free DX160 for review makes a reviewer sloppy enough not to test and report on the Bluetooth then I reckon Paul has not got the right reviewers. Some of us spent our "real" money on this DAP and expected the reviewers to at least check the Bluetooth. If it's beneath the 'purists' to even check the Bluetooth that is not good and you are letting us and iBasso down. Fine if you did check it and the DX160's BT worked well. For those reviewers who did not test the BT then the question is...why did you not do what you should have done?

Yes I thought that was weird myself. No testing of wifi streaming or BT. I think one of the sites even checks the wifi/bt signal strength.

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #1,551 of 6,983
It's a long one, but it covers a TON of info about DX160, including lots of pair up examples and comparison with many other DAPs. Enjoy the read!

Hi, @twister6. Just finished reading your review and saw that you tested it with a Solaris. Did you not hear the scratching noise being mentioned here in the thread? If you didn't then I guess it's an issue with my unit (and several other users) and isn't a problem with all units across the board. I'm using it via 3.5mm SE, stock cable.

For me personally the noise gets louder when touching the screen a lot. I'm only hearing the sound with the Solaris though and not with my other less sensitive IEMs.

EDIT: It's present both with wifi on and with wifi off on airplane mode.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #1,552 of 6,983
Hi, @twister6. Just finished reading your review and saw that you tested it with a Solaris. Did you not hear the scratching noise being mentioned here in the thread? If you didn't then I guess it's an issue with my unit (and several other users) and isn't a problem with all units across the board. I'm using it via 3.5mm SE, stock cable.

For me personally the noise gets louder when touching the screen a lot. I'm only hearing the sound with the Solaris though and not with my other less sensitive IEMs.

Sorry, no scratching noises with wifi on and using Solaris. I did mention in my review that I do hear some waterfall hissing with Solaris, a little more than with Andro, but it's not too distracting to my ears especially with volume up. I use DX160 for streaming all the time (w/Qobuz), so wifi is on, and pair up with Solaris is really good, especially the impact, texture, and articulation of the bass.

As I mentioned in my review under cons, BT performance is underwhelming, but no issues with wifi or any scratching noises when wifi is on.

ibasso_dx160-48.jpg

Nov 14, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #1,553 of 6,983
Do any of you feel that the power button (when with the tpu case) feels mushy? Doesn’t really click but works?

A very simple DIY solution to this problem, use a hole puncher to open up the power button :wink: Then, clean it up with a tip of the kitchen knife :D While I prefer hw playback control buttons to be covered here, power button works better for me when it's open.

ibasso_dx160-47.jpg

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,554 of 6,983

It sounds kind of like a grounding issue. I wonder if that could be what's causing interference with the various radios. Wish iBasso would say something.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,555 of 6,983

Hi there,

So, I suppose I should say something in response, as a forthcoming reviewer of the DX160..

I wrote a review for the DX220 too, and in it, I made a disclaimer along the lines of:
"I am something of a Luddite when it comes to DAPs; I have never in my life used bluetooth and I don't use streaming. I put folders of music onto a micro-SD card and am looking for the DAP which can make that music sound as good as possible". UI speed and responsiveness are a factor of importance to me only if they are significantly affecting my ability to select songs and move between folders etc.

I don't use any bluetooth audio products and frankly would have little idea how to do so even if I had any.

I should add that I never make any claims in my reviews concerning Bluetooth/Wifi performance - I make it clear that I lack both the gear and the knowledge to do so.
I do however post links to the relevant product threads on Head-Fi (in addition to the manufacturer's webpage) and encourage readers to go there to check on the latest discussions about the DAP's technical performance (Bluetooth, wifi, streaming et al) and whether there have been developments/updates - for example, ones that may have occurred since I wrote that review.

As such, I'm not misleading anyone.

So, do these factors disqualify me from writing reviews of audio products?
I hope that I have developed over the years some ability in being able to analyse sound signatures of audio products and the differences that occur when other products (cables, IEM's, DAPs, Amps etc) are added to the 'audio chain', and the ability to communicate these in writing in a way which is accessible to the newbie and of value to the more experienced audiophile too.

Some people have been kind enough to message me upon occasion and tell me that they have found my reviews helpful in choosing - or not choosing! - a product I reviewed.
I'm certainly far from outstanding though, and I strive continually to improve my craft.

And here we come to a significant point: there are many people out there (and on here), who are looking to use a DAP solely in the way that I do.
As such, the Bluetooth performance of the DAP is of no interest or consequence to them.
I imagine such a person might find some value in my reviews.

There are some who might disagree with the way in which I assess sound signatures and audio performance.
They might prefer a more frequency-based analysis, such as the graphical representations of @crinacle or the inclusion of frequency analysis of someone with sound engineering experience like @Deezel177
Both of them provide a wonderful service to the Head-Fi community. Some may prefer the methods, style and preferences of Hawaii Badboy or the thoroughness and professionalism of @twister6
I like to hope that there is room for all of us, including those whose with whom I disagree, so that people can find reviewers who match their preferences and grow to trust their input, and that we can all appreciate each other's contributions - yours included - without any need to attack each other or criticise beyond that which is healthy, constructive and beneficial to the community.

It's evident that you are - very reasonably - frustrated and unhappy with both the issues you've had with the DAP and with how you maybe perceive others as handling such issues.

I would - in only a constructive spirit - suggest that letting those frustrations boil over to the point where you start giving somewhat sneering labels (e.g. 'purists'), calling into question reviewers and their integrity/worthiness to review, and giving in to an 'us vs them' approach is going to hinder, rather than help in us all making progress on this issue.

You've already helped a lot by raising the issues you've been having in the first place, and asking appropriate questions.
You're persistent in trying to find a resolution and answers for yourself and the rest of the community who might be considering this DAP, and that's absolutely to be appreciated.

Perhaps a tech-savvy reviewer could be identified who is known for a preference for Bluetooth, streaming and so forth, and a review unit provided to them?

I myself live in London, as you seem to as well? I have ongoing health issues, but if health permits, I would be happy to meet you and let you try out your gear on my DX160, if you feel that would be helpful?
We could then feed back any results to Paul and the team and see if that can help them in identifying causes and finding solutions.

Just some thoughts, and I hope you will take them in the constructive spirit I intended :)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #1,556 of 6,983
Sorry, no scratching noises with wifi on and using Solaris. I did mention in my review that I do hear some waterfall hissing with Solaris, a little more than with Andro, but it's not too distracting to my ears especially with volume up. I use DX160 for streaming all the time (w/Qobuz), so wifi is on, and pair up with Solaris is really good, especially the impact, texture, and articulation of the bass.

As I mentioned in my review under cons, BT performance is underwhelming, but no issues with wifi or any scratching noises when wifi is on.

Hmmm, could waterfall hissing be what I'm hearing? It's different from the usual hissing I hear when I plug the Solaris into my phone / dragonfly though so it really might be something else. I don't hear the faint static / scratching noise though when the screen's off with music playing. But I do hear it even at start-up when I turn on the unit and it gradually fades when I start to play music via Mango / Hiby app. Like someone mentioned the last time, sometimes I hear a popping sound then hissing disappears and it's dead silent. Again it's not too much of a deal breaker for me but it does get annoying.

I also can't get any Wifi connection when I'm a room away from the Wifi modem. Bluetooth cuts off as well if I leave the DX160 in the next room. Even if it's just a foot or 2 away, as long as the door's closed.. gone! The bluetooth issue I'm fine with as I don't plan to use this via bluetooth but the Wifi is a bigger issue.

I'm thinking if I should return mine and exchange it with a new unit. I do agree though that it's a really good pairing. That alone is making me want to keep this despite all the issues.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,557 of 6,983
Hi there,

So, I suppose I should say something in response, as a forthcoming reviewer of the DX160..

I wrote a review for the DX220 too, and in it, I made a disclaimer along the lines of:
"I am something of a Luddite when it comes to DAPs; I have never in my life used bluetooth and I don't use streaming. I put folders of music onto a micro-SD card and am looking for the DAP which can make that music sound as good as possible". UI speed and responsiveness are a factor of importance to me only if they are significantly affecting my ability to select songs and move between folders etc.

I don't use any bluetooth audio products and frankly would have little idea how to do so even if I had any.

I should add that I never make any claims in my reviews concerning Bluetooth/Wifi performance - I make it clear that I lack both the gear and the knowledge to do so.
I do however post links to the relevant product threads on Head-Fi (in addition to the manufacturer's webpage) and encourage readers to go there to check on the latest discussions about the DAP's technical performance (Bluetooth, wifi, streaming et al) and whether there have been developments/updates - for example, ones that may have occurred since I wrote that review.

I hope that I have developed over the years some ability in being able to analyse sound signatures of audio products and the differences that occur when other products (cables, IEM's, DAPs, Amps etc) are added to the 'audio chain', and the ability to communicate these in writing in a way which is accessible to the newbie and of value to the more experienced audiophile too.

Some people have been kind enough to message me upon occasion and tell me that they have found my reviews helpful in choosing - or not choosing! - a product I reviewed.
I'm certainly far from outstanding though, and I strive continually to improve my craft.

And here we come to a significant point: there are many people out there (and on here), who are looking to use a DAP solely in the way that I do.
As such, the Bluetooth performance of the DAP is of no interest or consequence to them.

There are some who might disagree with the way in which I assess sound signatures and audio performance.
They might prefer a more frequency-based analysis, such as the graphical representations of @crinacle or the inclusion of frequency analysis of someone with sound engineering experience like @Deezel177
Both of them provide a wonderful service to the Head-Fi community. Some may prefer the methods, style and preferences of Hawaii Badboy or the thoroughness and professionalism of @twister6
I like to hope that there is room for all of us, including those whose with whom I disagree, so that people can find reviewers who match their preferences and grow to trust their input, and that we can all appreciate each other's contributions - yours included - without any need to attack each other or criticise beyond that which is healthy, constructive and beneficial to the community.

It's evident that you are frustrated and unhappy with both the issues you've had with the DAP and with how you maybe perceive others as handling such issues.

I would - in only a constructive spirit - suggest that letting those frustrations boil over to the point where you start giving somewhat sneering labels (e.g. 'purists'), calling into question reviewers and their integrity and giving in to an 'us vs them' approach is going to hinder, rather than help in us all making progress on this issue.

You've already helped a lot by raising the issues you've been having in the first place, and asking appropriate questions.
You're persistent in trying to find a resolution and answers for yourself and the rest of the community who might be considering this DAP, and that's absolutely to be appreciated.

Perhaps a tech-savvy reviewer could be identified who is known for a preference for Bluetooth, streaming and so forth, and a review unit provided to them?

I myself live in London, as you seem to as well? I have ongoing health issues, but if health permits, I would be happy to meet you and let you try out your gear on my DX160, if you feel that would be helpful?
We could then feed back any results to Paul and the team and see if that can help them in identifying causes and finding solutions.

Just some thoughts, and I hope you will take them in the constructive spirit I intended :)

It's not my emotions that have led me to write what I did....it's ethics....and because I empathise with Paul (and the retailer), who has sent out lots of review models and ending up not getting his DX160 fully looked at. If some are defensive over what I have said that is their business. I can assure you it's not me being negligent it is some reviewers. If you are writing a review, and from that review, people make decisions to buy, it's good to check thoroughly.....you have an obligation to be thorough. As long, as you say, you make it clear that you haven't looked at something then no problem it's not you. A lot of people have bought the DX160 and there are factually a lot of Bluetooth problems (according to the retailer and on threads). People could have got an idea about the DX160's potential problems earlier. Some reviewers could have done better, of that there is no doubt. I use the term 'purists' solely in that some who may be reviewers have said they are not interested in Bluetooth but have reviewed and not referred anybody elsewhere to hear how well the Bluetooth functions. Yes the DAP sounds more than great but many of them have empirical, real problems that could have come to light earlier. As soon as Paul, or a retailer can offer me one that the Bluetooth works on, and the RF interference is minimal, I will buy the DX160 again. Hopefully my retailer will come up with a quick solution. The one I returned had no WiFi problems, and sounded great. The Bluetooth did not function properly.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #1,558 of 6,983
Hmmm, could waterfall hissing be what I'm hearing? It's different from the usual hissing I hear when I plug the Solaris into my phone / dragonfly though so it really might be something else. I don't hear the faint static / scratching noise though when the screen's off with music playing. But I do hear it even at start-up when I turn on the unit and it gradually fades when I start to play music via Mango / Hiby app. Like someone mentioned the last time, sometimes I hear a popping sound then hissing disappears and it's dead silent. Again it's not too much of a deal breaker for me but it does get annoying.

I also can't get any Wifi connection when I'm a room away from the Wifi modem. Bluetooth cuts off as well if I leave the DX160 in the next room. Even if it's just a foot or 2 away, as long as the door's closed.. gone! The bluetooth issue I'm fine with as I don't plan to use this via bluetooth but the Wifi is a bigger issue.

I'm thinking if I should return mine and exchange it with a new unit. I do agree though that it's a really good pairing. That alone is making me want to keep this despite all the issues.

Pop and dead silence sounds like the internal amplifier has been shut down/muted for power savings etc. This is normal for DAPs. I don't know if that timer is 10 sec, 30 sec, or a minute or longer after the playback has stopped. For waterfall hiss, you typically need to evaluate it immediately after stopping the music. Any audible noise (hiss, interference, etc) will come through only if the amplifier is active.

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,559 of 6,983
Hi there,

It's evident that you are - very reasonably - frustrated and unhappy with both the issues you've had with the DAP and with how you maybe perceive others as handling such issues.

I would - in only a constructive spirit - suggest that letting those frustrations boil over to the point where you start giving somewhat sneering labels (e.g. 'purists'), calling into question reviewers and their integrity/worthiness to review, and giving in to an 'us vs them' approach is going to hinder, rather than help in us all making progress on this issue.

Just to say I am aware that your post was intended to be taken in a constructive and kind manner which is the best way. I find it sad that the best DAP I have ever heard....the DX160 has such a large BT problem. I feel for Paul too who has got the DAP out there and it may well be the chip that has QC problems.

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,560 of 6,983

Yup for sure. Mushy without a satisfying click. Screen comes on easily if I brush the top of the dap. Twister mentioned a good solution which I'm going to try.

The transport buttons feel much better but aren't perfect.

I would certainly find value in a review like that. And so would other users who prioritize bluetooth, provided the review stated that Bluetooth was not tested.

It doesn't negate the sincerity of the reviewer in describing the wired sound (as this is its main function).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back