iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 19, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #1,651 of 6,983
I have my zeus on the thing. First phone I connected to it was my Solaris. No extra noise of any type that I have heard had the wifi on too.

My Zeus is the most sensitive out of all my iems. I have them in my ears. I do hear a slight waterfall in the back ground using the Solaris but not terrible less so in single ended. Zeus sound great out of this player.

So far so good. I kept on reading all these issues but to me I don't stream nor do I have a single Bluetooth earphone so heck I had a chance to get a special edition.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #1,652 of 6,983
I have my zeus on the thing. First phone I connected to it was my Solaris. No extra noise of any type that I have heard had the wifi on too.

My Zeus is the most sensitive out of all my iems. I have them in my ears. I do hear a slight waterfall in the back ground using the Solaris but not terrible less so in single ended. Zeus sound great out of this player.

So far so good. I kept on reading all these issues but to me I don't stream nor do I have a single Bluetooth earphone so heck I had a chance to get a special edition.
I'm glad it is working for you.. But it seems from the users experience that it might be some processor noise and not wifi as members have reported the issue even when airplane mode is turned on. What's the difference between the normal edition and the special edition.. only cosmetic?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #1,653 of 6,983
Don't know. I lucked out I suppose. I have never touched a standard version so I have no idea. Probably just cosmetic. I have no idea how Penon got the silver special edition. Can't find a silver or a red anywhere in the US at all.

The back of the silver is a dark blue carbon fiber pattern. It looks greyish in the photo but it is dark blue. Stunning like I said. Open listen was a bit flat sounding but I can tell the sonics have opened up just in the last few hours I have been listening to it. This is my first Ibasso player since getting my DX90 a long time ago. Still have that player and still use it.

Ibasso has come a long way since the DX90 that is for certain. I will test out my unit and give it a good go. I lied I do have a Bluetooth wireless dongle I use with my earphones so I will test it out among other things. Guys complaining about speed of the thing. I have no idea what you all are talking about. Thing is about as responsive as any Android phone I have ever used.

Haven't even looked up what firmware it has on it. Would like to thank Penon for keeping at least one of these things. Sorry I took the last one they had.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,655 of 6,983
I wish i had 400 quids to drop without thinking much... unfortunately i have to make a considered choice.. this wait is frustrating if i may say so!! :D

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #1,656 of 6,983
So far so good. I have been using my DX160 non stop since getting it. I can say the sound has opened up nicely. It sounds more spacious than it did out of the box. Definitley has a wide stage. I have yet to hear any external noise what so ever. I have been just using the Mango player but will try a few others soon and update the firmware and such.

Been a bit busy with reviews. So far where it counts the DX160 has been exceptional and that is the sound department. I am gonna doubt anyone will be disappointed there.

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #1,657 of 6,983
I read of some of the WiFi sound and got my most sensitive IEMs to listen in, so to speak. A very slight sound on the left channel that was gone with music. So then I went into my wifi setting and checked power out from my modem, it is set at 100% and then changed the channels. I sent to channel 2 and zero sound on right or left. It wasn't an issue before but dead quiet now. This is streaming Amazon Music (excellent by the way). This is about 20 or 25 feet from the router and through one wall that also has cabinets and a refrigerate in the way. I then use the wired out of the DX160 or BT (in the room or line of site to around 20 to 25 feet). For waling around etc., I use my iPhone and the AirPods for convenience with Amazon Music. For line out to my desktop amps, I have been using the DX160 a lot with excellent results, both streaming and with the huge capacity 1tb card I just got. Great stuff!

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,658 of 6,983
I read of some of the WiFi sound and got my most sensitive IEMs to listen in, so to speak. A very slight sound on the left channel that was gone with music. So then I went into my wifi setting and checked power out from my modem, it is set at 100% and then changed the channels. I sent to channel 2 and zero sound on right or left. It wasn't an issue before but dead quiet now. This is streaming Amazon Music (excellent by the way). This is about 20 or 25 feet from the router and through one wall that also has cabinets and a refrigerate in the way. I then use the wired out of the DX160 or BT (in the room or line of site to around 20 to 25 feet). For waling around etc., I use my iPhone and the AirPods for convenience with Amazon Music. For line out to my desktop amps, I have been using the DX160 a lot with excellent results, both streaming and with the huge capacity 1tb card I just got. Great stuff!
I am encouraged when I hear detailed accounts of people like you not experiencing the issue. If there are actually units out there functioning properly it would seem to suggest that there may be a bad batch of devices with some faulty hardware. I certainly had noticeable wifi noise experienced on many different wireless networks whenever the wifi was on and the amp was active (it will sleep about about a minute after pausing the music). I returned my unit to the dealer I purchased it from and they have yet to be able to replicate the wifi noise which is baffling and maddening to me. Hoping to maybe be able to exchange for another unit because I love the device but the wifi noise was far beyond something that could be overlooked on such a device.

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #1,659 of 6,983
People who is bothered with floor noises, hissing, and very low WiFi noises....

Please, I have some very honest questions....and with due respects, mean absolutely no offenses

1/ how do you even tolerate your “heart beats” ? If you are listening to IEMS ?

2/ How do you accept the closed-back soundstage if you listen to Closed-back full-size ? And those never perfected bass ?

3/ How do you tolerate the ambient noises that leak-in if you use Open-back full-size ? Like fan noises, AC noises .... or even refrigerator hums ?

4/ Now, if you are into spotting and scouting out noises, How do you tolerate Noises on Vinyl and LP systems ? Or even Tapes...analog systems ?

5/ If you cared that much, don’t you already have found that Analog is superior to digital already ? Except noises ? Yeah, even the noises is very different....but still....

so my last question is here....are you trying to listen to music ? Or scouting out noises ?

I mean, yeah....some of those that I called out “hiss, noises, scratching issues” are unless very bothersome...but otherwise for those almost impossible to bother enough....don’t they go away when music is playing ? Should I try to build my house a silence room ...the kind that Microsoft built for their engineers ?

finally, I think we should really categorize some enthusiasts as “noises enthusiasts”. They really know how to spot out “noises” within the system or music, and they always wanted to do so. We have to have such sub-forum

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,660 of 6,983
To anyone questioning what the wifi noise sounds like or wondering if their device has it, or suggesting some of us are too sensitive about this problem: your device is probably fine and you do not have the symptoms that we do.

There was nothing subtle about the wifi noise on my unit. A very noticeable scratching, screeching occasional beeping processor noise directly tied to wifi activity. It was very audible with no music playing and could be heard between songs, during quiet parts of songs and all the time when paused.

Hopefully iBasso can determine the cause and sort this out because they have a DAP that stands out from all the others IMO at this price point.

Nov 21, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,661 of 6,983
People who is bothered with floor noises, hissing, and very low WiFi noises....

Please, I have some very honest questions....and with due respects, mean absolutely no offenses

1/ how do you even tolerate your “heart beats” ? If you are listening to IEMS ?

2/ How do you accept the closed-back soundstage if you listen to Closed-back full-size ? And those never perfected bass ?

3/ How do you tolerate the ambient noises that leak-in if you use Open-back full-size ? Like fan noises, AC noises .... or even refrigerator hums ?

4/ Now, if you are into spotting and scouting out noises, How do you tolerate Noises on Vinyl and LP systems ? Or even Tapes...analog systems ?

5/ If you cared that much, don’t you already have found that Analog is superior to digital already ? Except noises ? Yeah, even the noises is very different....but still....

so my last question is here....are you trying to listen to music ? Or scouting out noises ?

I mean, yeah....some of those that I called out “hiss, noises, scratching issues” are unless very bothersome...but otherwise for those almost impossible to bother enough....don’t they go away when music is playing ? Should I try to build my house a silence room ...the kind that Microsoft built for their engineers ?

finally, I think we should really categorize some enthusiasts as “noises enthusiasts”. They really know how to spot out “noises” within the system or music, and they always wanted to do so. We have to have such sub-forum

Sorry, I get where you are coming from, but this is still downplaying the issue, as YOU do not know for sure whether it is bothersome or not to the user. Might I suggest you swap your functioning player with someone who has one that is deemed otherwise. Then you can post back on whether they are just being nit picky or not.

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #1,662 of 6,983

So you conclusion they go away when music play?
No it's not. Yes sure for music with lots instruments like rock, you maybe cannot hear it. But when you play slow music, it's very noticeable. You buy expensive dap and iem (yeah for me this dap is expensive) but you hear a very disturbing noise sound in background, you cannot enjoy it.
So no, i don't hear my heart beat in mymy ear, no i don't like any open back headphone, no i don't have vinyl.
So even if you have dx160 and have same problem and no problem for, it's just you, not for everyone disturbed by this noise.

Just for you info, this noise not like hissing. This noise sometime you can hear it low, sometine it's get louder.

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,663 of 6,983
Ok, thank you for clarifying about these noises. At least now I know that it isn’t just very low level of hisses or such that bother you. I am sorry to have seen someone that have such issues. I am sure Ibasso will take care of it. You also have 15 days windows to return for refund without questions. Please make sure you take advantage of it

Nov 21, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #1,664 of 6,983
Anyone compared the line out to a desktop DAC like the Bimby, SU-8 or ifi micro dsd BL? Happy with the dx160 as it sounds so good connected to the cayin iha-6 and HD800 but tempted to buy a Desktop DAC.
I have a Topping D50s
Compared to the D50s, the DX160 certainly has the same level of detail. The D50s might sound cleaner to most because it is really quite flat and neutral.
For my personal preferences I really prefer DX160’s sound signature, especially the treble extension.
I use the Topping D50s for passive Klipsch speakers primarily. So take it with a grain of salt please!

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #1,665 of 6,983
Has anyone compared the dx 160 to the Lg v30. I am looking to upgrade and wondering if it worth the cost. I have read some great reviews about the dx160 and looking at matching it with my fiio fh7
I have both dx160 and LG v35 (almost thebsame phone as V30). The sound signature is not very different, instrument placement is quite similar. Lg soundstage is little wider but soundstage of dx is clearly taller and deeper. Unlike ibasso, LG places cymbals directly in my brain which gives illussion of the smaller soundstage generally.

Dx sounds overal smoother, with more subbass, cleaner vocals and cleaner treble(much less grainy). Lg sound is little bit more hollow but somehow more punchy.

Overal difference is not huge, sound signatures are similar and the difference only matters during very critical listening. For me personally difference is worth it but to be honest I wish sound signature was little bit more different so that I could apreciate the change more.

Keep in mind that I no longer have iems and my comparision was done on Ananda, k702 and dt880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back