iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Jun 6, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,042 of 2,153
Yeah, the upper mid emphasis/fullness is what intrigues me. Also the punchy kick and diffuse soundstage.
Soundstage is, well, nice. Punch is there, but no infrabass or something) Through, it feels nice. Really good for that price. As I said, qa361 was in fact the only better deal till 2x 120's price and with +- similar sound (not for bassheads, but with nice textured bass, awesome +- neutral mids, clean highs, not too colored overall).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #2,044 of 2,153
Looking at sound quality through balanced alone, along with the “traditional” setting and “super slow roll off,” does the DX120 compete with DX160 (insert optimal sound settings for comparison)? Readings leave me to believe that 120 has better pacing, bass extension, and upper mid/lower treble presence while 160 has the better soundstage and more mid bass to lower mid presence.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #2,045 of 2,153
Looking at sound quality through balanced alone, along with the “traditional” setting and “super slow roll off,” does the DX120 compete with DX160 (insert optimal sound settings for comparison)? Readings leave me to believe that 120 has better pacing, bass extension, and upper mid/lower treble presence while 160 has the better soundstage and more mid bass to lower mid presence.
I didn't listen to the dx160, but I researched the dx120 for about 2 weeks, I found many reviews that said the dx160 was not a big jump in sound quality, but it has streaming capabilities, wifi, and Bluetooth.
In fact I found a few reviews that claimed the dx120 to be as good (sound wise) but complained that it wasn't anywhere near as useful due to not having Bluetooth, WiFi, streaming capabilities
So if you want better, you could take the older 150 or the newer 200/220 and you could replace the amp cards to your liking (the 120 and 160 cannot use these amp cards)
If you use Bluetooth and WiFi, take the 160, sounds just as good as the dx120
But if you wanna save a couple bucks I can definitely recommend the dx120, specially if you want hi resolution playback (as I have understood, streeming and Bluetooth is still far from wired headphones in this)
I have heard a few fiios (horrible customer service) astell and kern (horrible output impedance/synergy issues) hidizs (freq roll off)
I can tell you, the dx120 is the last of a dying breed, the price is also last of a dying breed.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #2,046 of 2,153
Well said, thanks. And no, I’m not interested in anything other than wired playback straight from the files on my SD card. Ironically, the DX160 has regular EMI issues with its Bluetooth and WiFi so it would be used for the same purpose, though I’ve heard hiss is quite low from the balanced port which is what I’m interested in. With the 120, I would focus more on headphones than IEMs.

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #2,048 of 2,153
Well, ibasso is very very good about hiss issues, there output impedance is close to zero, so unless you use headphones that are specifically hissy (Samson, superlux) there won't be any hiss.
I bought this for that reason (had made some b.a. Iems and needed low output z device to avoid the hiss)
My grados have no hiss, neither do my emu purplehearts
Or any of my cheap really hissy iems (kz)
Ibasso plays well with everything, no hiss and no boomy bloomy mid bass
Just a nice flat frequency response

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #2,050 of 2,153
Used it with few siren armatures (GR8/10 and e-Q7), Grado SR225, Dope Lucid. Some memorable experience with Sony sony ier m7, Nobles dulce bass, Andromeda 2020, Dope Pure. Sirens, Andro2020, Dulce bass and sr225 performed perfect. IER-7m were a bit to tight for 3,5 (had no opportunity to try balance). Dopes Pure and Lucid are too tight for it (not enough current for izoiems), but sounded good through. Takstar HA-101 added some lows and highs control, not quantity.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #2,052 of 2,153
I would read through the whole thread but it’s just too long.. Anyway I got a unit on the way and am interested to know what firmware everyone is using. I did briefly see about fidelizer, which seems to be a preference for a bit more bass. I plan on going balanced, thanks.

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #2,053 of 2,153
I would read through the whole thread but it’s just too long.. Anyway I got a unit on the way and am interested to know what firmware everyone is using. I did briefly see about fidelizer, which seems to be a preference for a bit more bass. I plan on going balanced, thanks.
I use DX120FirmwareV2.9.121-L0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back