iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,891 of 2,153
basically I found no where that warns about charging to 100%, I did find warnings that many small top ups is healthier for the battery, and not good to fully discharge a battery. No where did I find a warning, not to go to !00%. Curiously I found out that the DX120 uses a li-po battery and not li-on.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,892 of 2,153
basically I found no where that warns about charging to 100%, I did find warnings that many small top ups is healthier for the battery, and not good to fully discharge a battery. No where did I find a warning, not to go to !00%. Curiously I found out that the DX120 uses a li-po battery and not li-on.
It’s basically the same lithium technology, cell phones use lithium polymer as do most small electronics due to their smaller size. Why would there be a warning? I never said it was dangerous I just believe it causes extra stress on the battery which reduces the effective lifespan of the battery. If it wasn’t true than apple wouldn’t be investing money into developing battery features such as charge limiters in their new iPhones. You guys do what you want but I bought a smart plug and I’m calculating how much it takes to gain 10% charge at a time, than I just set the smart plug to that set interval. It may or may not be worth it though for a $10 battery, but who knows if ibasso will be selling these batteries two years from now. I’m also charging my tablet this way as I imagine it costs more to replace that battery.

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #1,893 of 2,153
Alright for those of you who are interested in changing the battery...it’s very simple. The back cover comes off with a suction cup as per the ibasso video. The trick is installing the rear glass cover and not to flex it, get yourself a plastic scraper or thick guitar pick. Install the top section of the rear glass first where the memory cards are, move along the sides and come to the bottom where the headphones ports are. Lay the player screen down on a cloth, using the pick there are four plastic tabs, you need to gently push them in with the pick to get each one into the metal housing. Each tab will maybe go halfway in using the pick, when they are all halfway in the glass should just easily slip in place. The guitar picks are typically found in those cheap eBay cell phone disassembly kits...I recommend the iPhone 6 kit as it has a torn that is perfect for the dx120. The next step is to remove the sticky battery from the glass back cover, I used a plastic cooking spatula as to not flex or crack the back. I’m still waiting for the ibasso replacement battery, so far the numbers printed on the original battery don’t show up anywhere. I will measure the dimensions with a micrometer though for anyone interested.

note: be careful when the rear cover is off, there is a ribbon connector that is quite short that connects the buttons on the side to the motherboard of the player. You need to lift up the small black tension tab and gently pull the ribbon cable out.

overall it’s easier than your typical cellphone to take apart.

Update: the only battery that I found that might work from AliExpress is the dx80 battery, which is only 3600 mah instead of 3800 mah. All others so far don’t have the white wire which I’m assuming is for temperature for the quick charging, I wouldn’t risk using a battery without the white wire. For now ibasso is the go to place for replacement batteries.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #1,896 of 2,153
IMG_20200201_172848.jpg
The screen on my DX120 has suddenly developed these dark marks on it, as if it was damaged somehow, though nothing in particular happened that I am aware of to cause it. Attached is an image of the screen with the damage lines. Anyone know if this problem can be fixed (without sending it in for repairs)? Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #1,897 of 2,153
IMG_20200201_172848.jpg
The screen on my DX120 has suddenly developed these dark marks on it, as if it was damaged somehow, though nothing in particular happened that I am aware of to cause it. Attached is an image of the screen with the damage lines. Anyone know if this problem can be fixed (without sending it in for repairs)? Thanks.
I had the same (albeit the dark pixel lines were in different places). Warranty replacement, there is no fix.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #1,898 of 2,153
well last night i've tried the lurker rom too, their latest, before i roll it back to the original ibasso rom, but it just stood about 1 hour coz it have no bass at all, i think it suit the vocal / acoustics genre that don't need much bass bost, but i am a basshead audiophile :)
i didn't try fidelizer lower version of rom.
I too had issues with the original fidelizer firmware - there was a mistake in the firmware which was rectified.

Finally i decided to try it again and am impressed with the free version, the sound seems sweeter and more detailed (subjectively as it is impossible to compare) so i am staying with the fidelizer firmware - even better if the promise of better battery life is true. I prefer it to the lurker mods but again it is difficult to be other than highly subjective and it could just as easily be a placebo effect but no matter as my feet are tapping away.

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #1,900 of 2,153
I too had issues with the original fidelizer firmware - there was a mistake in the firmware which was rectified.

Finally i decided to try it again and am impressed with the free version, the sound seems sweeter and more detailed (subjectively as it is impossible to compare) so i am staying with the fidelizer firmware - even better if the promise of better battery life is true. I prefer it to the lurker mods but again it is difficult to be other than highly subjective and it could just as easily be a placebo effect but no matter as my feet are tapping away.

Hi bro, Can you share the link for downloading the fidelizer firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back