iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #1,876 of 2,153
Last night I charged my DX120 to 100% using a different charger and when I turned it on today it was still at 100%. I listened to it for about 30-45 minutes and it dropped to 80%, so sad. Paul@ibasso I will be sending you a email after dinner tonight (I'm in the Philippines). Oh, by the way, I was using single ended at low gain, earphones rated at 22 ohms and sensitivity at 105db, and the charger was a recommended Qualcom 3.0.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #1,877 of 2,153
A few minutes ago on the way to work, the dx120 stopped for no reason and deleted all data from memory. Since I had the player 8 months ago, this must have happened to me about 4 times. I love the sound, but the experience is falling apart when such problems happen, software, battery ... I really doubt that I will buy an ibasso player in the future, it is a pity that they launch a product to the market with so many failures of fabric.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,878 of 2,153
Jan 15, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,879 of 2,153
A few minutes ago on the way to work, the dx120 stopped for no reason and deleted all data from memory. Since I had the player 8 months ago, this must have happened to me about 4 times. I love the sound, but the experience is falling apart when such problems happen, software, battery ... I really doubt that I will buy an ibasso player in the future, it is a pity that they launch a product to the market with so many failures of fabric.

yeah i have never had that problem where data is deleted, i only use genuine sandisk cards though. I've tried other brands like patriot and i have run into issues even with other dap's. I just bought a battery and replacement rear glass cover just in case from Ibasso. Everything was cheaper than shipping the player back to China and than having DHL charge brokerage fees...not to mention the long wait time.

I have taken apart the unit before prior to sending it in for warranty, upon re-installing the rear cover it cracked. Ibasso said that when they install the rear glass they install the top portion first, than slowly push it back into place along the edges working their way to the bottom. Both bottom corners need to be pushed in at the same time. My mistake the first time was pushing each corner in separately, on the last corner i had to use force as it wouldn't go in and it flexed too much which cracked my glass. I also started at the bottom and worked my way to the top which is also backwards to what was recommended.

Im disappointing about the battery but i would try to always charge the player back up to 100% from around 80% as i heard that lithium batteries have more cycles without deep discharging, perhaps that was bad for the battery always charging to 100%. Or the battery could have been sitting on the shelf for a year before it was installed...and i guess those things happen.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,880 of 2,153
I have taken apart the unit before prior to sending it in for warranty, upon re-installing the rear cover it cracked. Ibasso said that when they install the rear glass they install the top portion first, than slowly push it back into place along the edges working their way to the bottom. Both bottom corners need to be pushed in at the same time. My mistake the first time was pushing each corner in separately, on the last corner i had to use force as it wouldn't go in and it flexed too much which cracked my glass. I also started at the bottom and worked my way to the top which is also backwards to what was recommended.

Im disappointing about the battery but i would try to always charge the player back up to 100% from around 80% as i heard that lithium batteries have more cycles without deep discharging, perhaps that was bad for the battery always charging to 100%. Or the battery could have been sitting on the shelf for a year before it was installed...and i guess those things happen.

What battery should I buy?
And now, how many hours does that battery last?

Regards.

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,881 of 2,153

Regards.

If you are asking how long the stock battery lasts, I could get 16 hours playing flac in balanced (or single ended)mode. Usually I do not run the battery down to zero so practically speaking I get 12 to 14 hours.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #1,882 of 2,153

Regards.
Im getting about 5 hours or so on a charge...talk to Paul you can buy the battery direct from Ibasso for cheap. Ill let you know how my experience goes re-installing the glass cover, good thing i also bought a spare. I think my OCD charging with the player to not let the battery run down may have ruined it...i would charge when it was at 90%. I just found out charging past 90% is actually harmful for the battery...let alone trying to keep it above 90% most of the time for fear of discharging.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #1,884 of 2,153
@ Lurker0, with your custom firmware is there anywhere in the code that would allow the player to stop charging past 90% as to increase the overall service life of the battery?
No.

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #1,885 of 2,153
Im getting about 5 hours or so on a charge...talk to Paul you can buy the battery direct from Ibasso for cheap. Ill let you know how my experience goes re-installing the glass cover, good thing i also bought a spare. I think my OCD charging with the player to not let the battery run down may have ruined it...i would charge when it was at 90%. I just found out charging past 90% is actually harmful for the battery...let alone trying to keep it above 90% most of the time for fear of discharging.

Thanks bro.

Jan 19, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,887 of 2,153
trivium911: Who told you charging past 90% is bad for the battery?
It’s common knowledge that lithium batteries prefer more top up charges and up to 90%. On the extremes up to 100% and under 20% is harder on the battery and reduces the life of the cells. Ideally 40-50% is the lowest you want to run the battery down with 90% on the highest. It’s the reason why Tesla stops at 90% and iPhones now implement a similar feature. The question is...is it worth the hassle for a $10 battery.

Jan 19, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,889 of 2,153
trivium911: Please provide me with your source that states that charging to 100% is not recommended.
Yeah sorry don't have time to find a source, just google it and its all over the internet.

I did Find some information onTesla though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/article/tesla-battery-charge-max.amp

Tesla has a feature that stops charging at 90%. It's also a fact that iPhone now has a battery health feature that stops charging at a set percentage. Additionally it's a fact that higher voltages ruin batteries, most chargers increase the voltage once the battery receives the bulk of its charge which also increases heat, another fact that is not great for batteries. Regardless my point is these are facts however it's whether or not a $10 battery is worth all this extra process and thought.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #1,890 of 2,153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back