iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
May 7, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #1,427 of 2,153
I asked on Facebook and Paul (I guess he is the same iBasso engineer here) answered that anything above 2 amps is good. But just make sure to get one that is branded "Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0" or 2.0. The XD120 supports 2.0 but 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0

Attachments

• P_20190507_141001_1_p.jpg
    P_20190507_141001_1_p.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 0
  • P_20190507_141017_p.jpg
    P_20190507_141017_p.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 7, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,429 of 2,153
Well i've use QC 3.0 that is 9.0V = 1.8A LG V20 charger head since the day i get this baby no problem at all, it fully charged 2 hour 10 minutes from below 20% of remaining juice. and when i syncing musics to my pc it automatically charge just fine, depend how long it connected.

May 13, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #1,431 of 2,153
Hello, I'm a new user here and of the iBasso DX120 which I purchased after reading many reviews/threads here and around the internet. I've learned quite a bit from hanging around here so thanks for sharing the knowledge. I write this post because I've owned my DX120 for a little bit less than a week and I find myself having to return it this week (hopefully for an exchange) because of 2 issues I'm having with it and maybe you can give me some advice...

1. The touch interface: I find my unit to be very sluggish and insensitive to input. I find myself having to press a button/area 3-4 times before anything happens and sometimes that action is delayed so much that it feels like the software gets hung up on it. On the play music screen the little menu button on the left side almost never performs its action, no matter how many times I press it. And the slider bar/button to FFW or RW, which it supposed to glide with your finger as you move it back and forth, has never worked for me. On the My Music screen menu (Directory, Album, Artist, Genre, etc.) whenever I try to swipe up and down to move the list it almost always registers my touch as input and takes me to that artist/album. It's frustrating to try to move up/down this function.
I've updated the firmware to the most recent version from the iBasso website and did 2 factory resets but it didn't do much to solve this problem. I've seen several YouTube reviews/videos of the interface in action and mine it's not even close to being as fluid as those videos show. So I decided on Sunday that I couldn't put up with it for much longer. I did contact both Penon and iBasso directly and decided that an exchange/return would be best at this point.

2. The battery: my battery gets warm, sometimes hot at certain times. The first day I got the player I used it (burn-in) and the battery drained from around 65% (when I received it) to about 18% 6hrs later. So I put it on the charger I normally use with my USB-C devices (ASUS laptop, Huawei and ASUS phones). When I checked it an hour later the player was so hot that I got scared and unplugged it and placed it on a cold granite surface to help it cool down. The player had been turned off before going on the charger, btw. Since that first night I haven't used that charger again, now I just use a Quick Charge phone charger. But I've noticed that the player still gets warm at times when I charge it, but never as hot as it got that first night. I noticed last night that after playing for about 2-3hrs (FLAC files) the player turned off because battery had drained completely. When I picked it up, it was warm again. After about 20 minutes of cooling down I placed it on the charger again and it charged to 60% in about 2hrs. I've been getting decent amounts of playtime out of it but I'm a little concerned with this cycle of warming up when playing or charging.

I apologize in advance for the length of my first post here, but I hope that you might be able to shed some light on the issues I'm having. I love the ergonomics and SQ of the device (upgrading from Hidizs AP60Pro), so I hope to be able to get a unit that works better than this first one.
Thanks for reading :)

May 16, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #1,434 of 2,153
Hello, I'm a new user here and of the iBasso DX120 which I purchased after reading many reviews/threads here and around the internet. I've learned quite a bit from hanging around here so thanks for sharing the knowledge. I write this post because I've owned my DX120 for a little bit less than a week and I find myself having to return it this week (hopefully for an exchange) because of 2 issues I'm having with it and maybe you can give me some advice...

1. The touch interface: I find my unit to be very sluggish and insensitive to input. I find myself having to press a button/area 3-4 times before anything happens and sometimes that action is delayed so much that it feels like the software gets hung up on it. On the play music screen the little menu button on the left side almost never performs its action, no matter how many times I press it. And the slider bar/button to FFW or RW, which it supposed to glide with your finger as you move it back and forth, has never worked for me. On the My Music screen menu (Directory, Album, Artist, Genre, etc.) whenever I try to swipe up and down to move the list it almost always registers my touch as input and takes me to that artist/album. It's frustrating to try to move up/down this function.
I've updated the firmware to the most recent version from the iBasso website and did 2 factory resets but it didn't do much to solve this problem. I've seen several YouTube reviews/videos of the interface in action and mine it's not even close to being as fluid as those videos show. So I decided on Sunday that I couldn't put up with it for much longer. I did contact both Penon and iBasso directly and decided that an exchange/return would be best at this point.

2. The battery: my battery gets warm, sometimes hot at certain times. The first day I got the player I used it (burn-in) and the battery drained from around 65% (when I received it) to about 18% 6hrs later. So I put it on the charger I normally use with my USB-C devices (ASUS laptop, Huawei and ASUS phones). When I checked it an hour later the player was so hot that I got scared and unplugged it and placed it on a cold granite surface to help it cool down. The player had been turned off before going on the charger, btw. Since that first night I haven't used that charger again, now I just use a Quick Charge phone charger. But I've noticed that the player still gets warm at times when I charge it, but never as hot as it got that first night. I noticed last night that after playing for about 2-3hrs (FLAC files) the player turned off because battery had drained completely. When I picked it up, it was warm again. After about 20 minutes of cooling down I placed it on the charger again and it charged to 60% in about 2hrs. I've been getting decent amounts of playtime out of it but I'm a little concerned with this cycle of warming up when playing or charging.

I apologize in advance for the length of my first post here, but I hope that you might be able to shed some light on the issues I'm having. I love the ergonomics and SQ of the device (upgrading from Hidizs AP60Pro), so I hope to be able to get a unit that works better than this first one.
Thanks for reading :)

A pity what you say. My dx120 is already one month old, and I love its sound as well as the aesthetics. The user interface is fast, but the first week I had some problems, the screen was black for 2 seconds, some other bug when playing a song (a cover and song not selected), the shuffle does not work well, among other details, So I stayed with the penultimate firmware (with it I have fewer bugs than with the last one) and for the moment it is going well. On the battery, I use only a conventional 5V charger, which charges it completely in approximately 3 to 4 hours and the total duration moves around 10 to 12 hours (it does not reach the 16 it promises) with 16-bit flac files. I hope that the bugs, disappear with future updates, this is a great player, but you have errors to solve.

May 16, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #1,435 of 2,153
A pity what you say. My dx120 is already one month old, and I love its sound as well as the aesthetics. The user interface is fast, but the first week I had some problems, the screen was black for 2 seconds, some other bug when playing a song (a cover and song not selected), the shuffle does not work well, among other details, So I stayed with the penultimate firmware (with it I have fewer bugs than with the last one) and for the moment it is going well. On the battery, I use only a conventional 5V charger, which charges it completely in approximately 3 to 4 hours and the total duration moves around 10 to 12 hours (it does not reach the 16 it promises) with 16-bit flac files. I hope that the bugs, disappear with future updates, this is a great player, but you have errors to solve.

I did write to ibasso about the shuffle and they said it would be looked at but nothing so far (this was many weeks ago) but if they perceived an issue it would be fixed in the next firmware.

May 16, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #1,436 of 2,153

Thanks JuanLuis91, now I'm wondering if I should roll back to a previous firmware?? It's too bad I already packed it up and was going to take to the post office today for the long trip back to HK. Who knows how long it'll be before I see the replacement in my hands :frowning2:

May 16, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #1,437 of 2,153
Thanks JuanLuis91, now I'm wondering if I should roll back to a previous firmware?? It's too bad I already packed it up and was going to take to the post office today for the long trip back to HK. Who knows how long it'll be before I see the replacement in my hands :frowning2:

You can try it, although what you mention about the slow response of the tactile and the hot battery, it seems to me that it is already a subject of a failed unit. In February I sent taiwan my dunu falcon c to fix a mmcx connector and it took 2 months until he came back to me, you will have to wait patiently, although if in your case they will only send you a new unit, maybe they will do it in a lot less time.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,438 of 2,153
Bumping my questions from page 93. Still hoping for iBasso to respond: @Paul - iBasso

Alright, I've read through this entire thread twice, and I noticed a few questions that went unanswered where I too would like answers. @Paul - iBasso , would you be able to comment on the following?

1) Is there any way to rename a playlist?

2) Are there any plans in future firmware updates to improve the USB out functionality (transport to an external DAC over USB OTG)? It seems that most who have tried this feature found that the DX120 freezes on attempting to play any song, or it just fails to recognize the external DAC. This is the only functionality that I am greatly missing from cheaper daps. If there are plans to fix this I could be content forever with this DAP :dt880smile:

I really appreciate any info you can give.

#1 is just a curiosity. #2 is significant to me as I would love to be able to use my desk DAC/AMP setup again with this player, but the DX120 won't connect.

May 16, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,439 of 2,153
To change the name of a playlist, export it, rename and then import.

The DX120 is not a USB out device.

Last edited:
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
May 16, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #1,440 of 2,153
Thank you very much for the reply, I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back