iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
May 3, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,396 of 2,153
I've never understood why some insist critical testing for someone else to describe what they believe they're hearing. The entire ordeal of most all of this is subjective anyways. It's like somebody saying something tastes like vanilla. Well what other foods and flavors did you eat and taste to be sure?

Well, I suspect you then have no appreciation for the scientific method and discovering objective truth.

It's important to ask such questions in this case when trying to determine whether it's the architecture of the balanced output that is responsible for the differences heard, or if it's simply down to the increased power. If it is the latter, then simply increasing the amount of power (volume) in single-ended would yield the same improvements heard from the balanced connection....hence the need to double check that the volume is matched when making a comparison in order to exclude that as being the contributing factor.

It's amazing how people can have such a narcissistic and religious approach to something so simple.

May 3, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #1,397 of 2,153
It's amazing how people can have such a narcissistic and religious approach to something so simple.

That seems rude. Subjective opinions mean something to me... if they mean nothing to you then let it be.

May 3, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,398 of 2,153
That seems rude. Subjective opinions mean something to me... if they mean nothing to you then let it be.

They don't and should not mean anything if they stand in contradiction of measurable, demonstrable, and repeatable data.

In much the same way that I can show you the below picture, all of us would say that tile A and B are different, because this is an illusion that exploits the limitations of our brains. Yet, when we measure those colours we discover that there is in fact no difference between them. So, when you're trying to get to the truth of the matter, should you consult tools that don't have the same limitations as yourself, or should you listen to the subjective opinions of others who (without the aid of any scientific tools or other data) will swear that those tiles are of different colours?
1280px-Checker_shadow_illusion.svg.png

May 3, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #1,399 of 2,153
They don't and should not mean anything if they stand in contradiction of measurable, demonstrable, and repeatable data.

In much the same way that I can show you the below picture, all of us would say that tile A and B are different, because this is an illusion that exploits the limitations of our brains. Yet, when we measure those colours we discover that there is in fact no difference between them. So, when you're trying to get to the truth of the matter, should you consult tools that don't have the same limitations as yourself, or should you listen to the subjective opinions of others who (without the aid of any scientific tools or other data) will swear that those tiles are of different colours?

We already had this argument in another thread. Just give it a rest. I know you are an engineer..or something. I am a music lover. If someone buys a new cable and enjoys using it with the balanced output that does mean something to me.

Why put a damper on someones happiness?

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,400 of 2,153
We already had this argument in another thread. Just give it a rest. I know you are an engineer..or something. I am a music lover. If someone buys and new cable and enjoys using it with the balanced output that does mean something to me.

Amen

May 3, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #1,401 of 2,153
We already had this argument in another thread. Just give it a rest. I know you are an engineer..or something. I am a music lover. If someone buys and new cable and enjoys using it with the balanced output that does mean something to me.

It's not about putting a damper on anyone's happiness, it's about protecting people from having others take advantage of them. If a company relies on people making purchasing decisions based entirely on subjective opinions, then surely you should be able to see just how easily that company could take advantage of people. I don't like people being bullshitted, and I'm assuming you're a decent person who would not like that either.
So when people like myself question claims it's because we care about truth and holding companies (or individuals) accountable to backup their claims to prove that they are not trying to pull a fast one

May 3, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #1,402 of 2,153
It's not about putting a damper on anyone's happiness, it's about protecting people from having others take advantage of them. If a company relies on people making purchasing decisions based entirely on subjective opinions, then surely you should be able to see just how easily that company could take advantage of people. I don't like people being bull****ted, and I'm assuming you're a decent person who would not like that either.
So when people like myself question claims it's because we care about truth and holding companies (or individuals) accountable to backup their claims to prove that they are not trying to pull a fast one

Nobody was taking advantage of anyone. Why are we suddenly talking about companies? If someone is a member of the trade they have to declare that.

I love certain iems, buds, headphones, daps, albums.. etc. I do not feel the need to prove why. I am not telling anyone they have to like the same things or even hear it the way I do. My hearing, my taste etc are mine.

May 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #1,403 of 2,153
Well, I suspect you then have no appreciation for the scientific method and discovering objective truth.

It's important to ask such questions in this case when trying to determine whether it's the architecture of the balanced output that is responsible for the differences heard, or if it's simply down to the increased power. If it is the latter, then simply increasing the amount of power (volume) in single-ended would yield the same improvements heard from the balanced connection....hence the need to double check that the volume is matched when making a comparison in order to exclude that as being the contributing factor.

Well that's certainly the pot calling the kettle black. What I believe I'm hearing is all that matters to me, testing and data or not. I'm not acting entitled, in disbelief, or questioning people's subjective opinions because they can't meet my requirements of expectations.

May 3, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,404 of 2,153
It's not about putting a damper on anyone's happiness, it's about protecting people from having others take advantage of them. If a company relies on people making purchasing decisions based entirely on subjective opinions, then surely you should be able to see just how easily that company could take advantage of people. I don't like people being bull****ted, and I'm assuming you're a decent person who would not like that either.
Let people do what they want, especially if it makes them happy. This is a material hobby. Part of the fun is exploration, trial and error, and seeking that ultimate individual sound. Suggestions are fine and welcome, but at the end of the day, people are going to form their own opinions and make their own choices.

May 3, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,405 of 2,153
Don't want to fan the flames but I agree with you on this. People do tend to make wild, unsubstantiated claims in this hobby. It's like certain comments that make uninformed people believe they will start seeing unicorns once their single BA IEM reaches 350 hours (strictly using a combination of white and pink noise of course)! :imp::imp:

May 3, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,406 of 2,153
I'd like to believe that people have enough common sense to observe when someone is making outlandish claims, and act accordingly. Somebody simply describing what THEY'RE hearing via a balanced connection is hardly that. I don't need scientific proof. If MY ears and brain tell me balanced sounds better than single ended, that's simply all I need. I see absolutely no reason for anyone to discredit that. Believe it or not, it doesn't matter. This is a forum community for people to share experiences, scientific or not - Period

May 3, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,407 of 2,153
All information on these devices/products is helpful for those that can't try the device before they buy it. All of my high end audio purchases have been made after extensive reading & research in these types of threads, and I haven't had any surprises in any of my purchases except for one where the manufacturer changed the design right before I purchased the product. True, it would be ideal if everyone only posted fact based information, but if that was a requirement around here then there wouldn't be any information on nearly any product; almost all posts on this website are strictly subjective. The subjective, and even sometimes farfetched, information in these threads is very helpful in painting a complete picture of the product.

I do appreciate both sides though. The closer we can get to truthful claims the better, but not while casting too much doubt on subjective opinions though...

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #1,408 of 2,153
Don't want to fan the flames but I agree with you on this. People do tend to make wild, unsubstantiated claims in this hobby. It's like certain comments that make uninformed people believe they will start seeing unicorns once their single BA IEM reaches 350 hours (strictly using a combination of white and pink noise of course)! :imp::imp:

Exactly...this is all about just trying to figure out, together, what will and won't genuinely improve the music experience for everyone.

Unfortunately it seems that this comes down to the belief that all opinions are equally valid...it's people's egos that prevent them form seeking real truth. But I really don't understand why people get their backs up against the wall when someone like myself asks someone to clarify what they are saying or to back up their claims. There also seems to be an inability to distinguish between honesty and truthfulness...those 2 things are not the same thing.

If someone makes a claim and I question them, I'm not saying that they are wrong or a liar, I'm just trying to determine if they are right, and if myself and others would experience the same benefits that this person had.

In much the same way I don't mind if I make a claim and someone else criticises me based on info they have. Either I'm right and I'd be able to point out that person's mistake, or they are right and they can correct me. Either way, that's a win-win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back