iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Dec 12, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,009 of 2,153
@WindowsX for what it's worth. I think the font you used is much improved over the iBasso FW. My 42 year old eyes can see it much better.

Really enjoying! Thanks.

Glad to hear you like it. I consider stock font being a bit too small for its size. Maybe it's OK for DX150/DX200 with bigger screen. I tried to use lighter version and there's bolder one which is too bold to my taste too.

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,011 of 2,153
Purist ROM will improve system and file I/O performance including better battery life, remove non-audio components in Particle engine, remove Android audio effects in audio chain for Purist performance (doesn't break Equalizer).
Is the Mango OS based on android? I thaught Mango was stand alone linux

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,012 of 2,153
Is the Mango OS based on android? I thaught Mango was stand alone linux

Android OS and Mango OS are based from Android's core Linux platform from the same kernel. You can treat Mango OS as a minimal core version with player as core app.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,014 of 2,153
Anybody know how this compares sound wise to a fiio m9?

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #1,015 of 2,153
Hi, friends!

At last, I caught an iBasso DX120 DAP for testing and writing my review. I want to share my first impressions of this pleasant acquaintance.

I will begin with a box. Here everything, as always at the iBasso brand, adequately. Packing is beautiful, the set is rich: a player, spare protective glass on the screen (one is already accurately established), a coaxial cable, the nice usb type-c cable for connection to the power adapter and synchronization with the PC, a cable for burn-in the device, a silicone cover well and guarantee documents.

The DAP combining the simple Spartan form and graceful waves splashing on its sides and attracts a look. In my case color light brown, and it is ideal for my style.

iBasso DX120 is the small device convenient in management and with the high-quality screen. The interface and management of any complaints do not cause. The tach-screen response to contact is fast, Swype on display to right and left is fast. The menu in already familiar to Mango intuitively clear. There is a wish to note beautiful display as fonts, blocks and interface in general, and covers of the reproduced albums.

Funtsional is rich, at the same time there is nothing superfluous. Existence of 3.5 mm and 2.5 mm (TRRS balance) exit, 3.5mm Line outpout, and that it is important personally for me, a digital 3.5mm Coaxial output. I often use a player as digital transport, and DX120 perfectly copes with transfer of a digital signal. Very pleasant moment, 2x micro-SD slots, and a possibility of use of DX120 in the form USB DAC.

Pleased very long operating time, about 15 hours, and the player of all for a couple of hours here is loaded. Fast charging is great

Here I also reached a sound.

So far early to draw some deep conclusions, but already now it is possible to tell that at DX120 a neutral manner of sounding with exactly moving low-frequency range, the smooth, beautiful and clean mids, with nice dynamics, details and sound resolution (even without the price level of the device) and a some little cool, little aggressive, but blank and accurate high-frequency register. The virtual space quite well is built in width and a little less in depth.

It is exact, clean, balanced, a little dry manner of giving of a sound with small accurate "spark" around high frequencies, but in too time without excessive aggression and some obvious distortions. The bass is neutral, exact and well controllable. As it seemed to me, it lacks massiveness and a tone variety a little. But, I will remind, it is my primary assessment. For the rest, low frequencies do not cause serious complaints, all very decently. The low frequency range is very nice. There is both a direct shot, and a relief, and excellent speed. And it would not be fair to carp at DX120 at its price. There are many more expensive devices with a heap of more essential shortcomings.

Following the results of two-day friendship with a DX120 it is already possible to tell that it was successful wonderfully well. To listen to DX120, as well as to use it, very pleasantly. And in more detail I will tell about iBasso DX120 in the full review which too not far off.

All I shake hands, all the Best, Alexey aka Hans Barbarossa!

N49zaJoP3Hc.jpg

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #1,016 of 2,153
Anybody know how this compares sound wise to a fiio m9?

DX120 vs M9

Comparing the DX120 and the M9, the difference between target audience is clear. The DX120 is audiophile oriented while the M9 is mainstream consumer oriented.

The DX120 is noticeably more accomplished on a technical level. Its clearer, more detailed, more articulate and more revealing while having better macro and micro dynamics. Soundstage is noticeably wider on the DX120 too.

Tonality wise the DX120 is neutral while the M9 is moderately warm.

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #1,018 of 2,153
Is this loose screw problem common?

Dec 16, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #1,020 of 2,153
Hi,

I notice that even with the very latest FW 2.2.42 installed at least 2 people on this forum are still getting 'crackling' noises on line out when changing tracks. Is anybody else having this issue? I don't know if iBasso are also still active on this forum but it would be nice to know when this will be resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back