iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Oct 19, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #661 of 2,153
My experience having had the dx120 for a week or so is that burn-in does make a considerable difference. i found it too bright at first with single-ended but it settled down after many hours as i was too impatient to use the burn-in cable, i then switched to balanced and found it even more bright and difficult to listen to, Paul at ibasso suggested using the burn-in cable and i did so using a burn-in track on loop for about 40 hours, this made a real difference,.

So best to burn in for the recommended 100 hours although it maybe possible to reduce this by using a specific burn-in track (the one i use suggest it is 4 times as effective as normal music) i use professor johnsons from a cd i bought to check system setting years ago.

Hope this helps

d

What number should I set the volume to if I use the burn in tool balanced with regular Flac files from my sd card?

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #662 of 2,153
I went with max vol 100, set to high gain, with the burn in cable plugged into the balanced port

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #664 of 2,153
I went with max vol 100, set to high gain, with the burn in cable plugged into the balanced port
Please use what would be a normal listening volume when burning in. This is best for the components. An excessive volume setting with the constant load of the burn-in cable will produce more heat than normal, which is not good for the longevity of the resistors, op amps, capacitors and the rest of the parts.

Last edited:
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #665 of 2,153
Hello, i would like to ask a question to Ibasso company. I want to ask, if you can give us information about digital filter setting and sound mode setting? I was able to find some info about digital filters of AK4495EQ chip on Fiio forums, but i still dont completely understand, what these settings do to the sound. As for the sound mode setting on DX120, i wasnt able to find ANY info at all.

Here is my mini review after week of use (with Grado GR10e)

+ sound (in quick comparison with Astell&Kern A&norma SR15, it sounded very similar...cant say much more, as i dont have currently other DAPs
+ battery life is decent
+ power - it can drive Audeze lcd2classic as good as my desktop 700USD headphone amp/dac
+ size and weight is good enough for pocket use
+ focus on audio (no wifi, android, videos)
+ usb dac - must have function for any DAP, many other DAPs cannot do that properly (some Astell Kerns and Sony Walkmans for example)

- touch screen navigation is pain using only my thumb (would be nice to add more different UI settings with future fw upgrades - for example move "backspace-directory" button from top to bottom)
- look of the player - original Fiio X3 and first Ibasso were originals. No idea why everybody needs to copy ipods and Astell Kern. I would also prefer silver or black color instead of brown and blue.
- side buttons are close to each other and hard to use in pocket
- no word about digital filter setting and sound mode setting in manual or on website

Audio quality is +- good as any other decent dap...i dont believe in huge quality differences between them. So more important is, that it can drive power hungry headphones, has decent battery, usb-dac function and it is relatively cheap for high-res dap. Still not as good build and UI as Astell Kern.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #666 of 2,153
Hi Paul.

I’ve found another sorting fault.
I have 3 albums called ‘Home’.
When you sort by ‘Album’ there is only one album called home and all 3 albums are mashed together.

Cheers

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #668 of 2,153
Do any of you notice that when you shake the DAP sideways, you hear the internals moved?

Now that you mention it, yes I hear a little sound when I tilt it. What might it be?

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #669 of 2,153
That's the little magic iBasso pixies inside who make all the lovely sounds :)
Careful not to hurt them

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #670 of 2,153
Hello, i would like to ask a question to Ibasso company. I want to ask, if you can give us information about digital filter setting and sound mode setting? I was able to find some info about digital filters of AK4495EQ chip on Fiio forums, but i still dont completely understand, what these settings do to the sound. As for the sound mode setting on DX120, i wasnt able to find ANY info at all.

Here is my mini review after week of use (with Grado GR10e)

+ sound (in quick comparison with Astell&Kern A&norma SR15, it sounded very similar...cant say much more, as i dont have currently other DAPs
+ battery life is decent
+ power - it can drive Audeze lcd2classic as good as my desktop 700USD headphone amp/dac
+ size and weight is good enough for pocket use
+ focus on audio (no wifi, android, videos)
+ usb dac - must have function for any DAP, many other DAPs cannot do that properly (some Astell Kerns and Sony Walkmans for example)

- touch screen navigation is pain using only my thumb (would be nice to add more different UI settings with future fw upgrades - for example move "backspace-directory" button from top to bottom)
- look of the player - original Fiio X3 and first Ibasso were originals. No idea why everybody needs to copy ipods and Astell Kern. I would also prefer silver or black color instead of brown and blue.
- side buttons are close to each other and hard to use in pocket
- no word about digital filter setting and sound mode setting in manual or on website

Audio quality is +- good as any other decent dap...i dont believe in huge quality differences between them. So more important is, that it can drive power hungry headphones, has decent battery, usb-dac function and it is relatively cheap for high-res dap. Still not as good build and UI as Astell Kern.

"in quick comparison with Astell&Kern A&norma SR15", it sounded very similar, mind to share more details please

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #671 of 2,153
Guys, is there a method to install Spotify without the need of installing modded firmware?

Also, is the stock amp good enough for portable headphones such as the ATH-M50xs?

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #672 of 2,153
Guys, is there a method to install Spotify without the need of installing modded firmware?

Also, is the stock amp good enough for portable headphones such as the ATH-M50xs?

Maybe you are thinking of the DX150. The DX120 is a pure music player. No wifi. No android.

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #673 of 2,153
Maybe you are thinking of the DX150. The DX120 is a pure music player. No wifi. No android.
Whoops. My mistake. Meant to ask in the DX150 forum which I thought this was.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #675 of 2,153
I just received my DX120 today. I had this exact same problem. None of the buttons work, except for the power button. Volume remains at 30. Skip buttons not working. Is there anything I'm missing?

You're not missing anything. Seems there is a specific quality control issue, given that your fault is exactly the same as mine. I emailed iBasso, with a video of the fault, and they just apologised and said I need to seek a replacement via the vendor. I returned the unit to Penon and they verified the unit is faulty and are sending me a new unit. Pretty frustrating - I hope your vendor looks after you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back