iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #646 of 2,153
I don't think the dx120 handles 400GB cards very well, never mind anything greater. Perhaps it's caused by the shear volume of songs, as I have both high bitrate Mp3 and Flac files on the cards, but it can take some time to read. Sometimes the DX120 doesn't finish reading the complete card, just gives up and shuts down. This tends to happen with the second card.
The ability of the DX120 to play off of the genre list is also broken. Again possibly tied to the shear volume of music on the two cards.

Oh? That's disappointing. I was hoping that it would be better in that area than the DX80. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I was considering switching from the DX80 to the DX120. Now.... it seems as if I'm stuck with 2 400gb cards filled with music I can't use on a player without overwhelming it.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #647 of 2,153
If you look at my previous comment you will see you should have no problem. It handles my 2 x 400 gb SD cards with no problems. All my music is in FLAC 16bit and 24bit. I doubt if you will overwhelm the DX120 if you use the Folder/Directory option. I have seperate Folders for different Genre, and everything is catalogued in sub folders according to Artist alphabetically in most Genre, and in Classical I have them catalogued by Composer. Have never had to scan the cards.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #648 of 2,153
Oh? That's disappointing. I was hoping that it would be better in that area than the DX80. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I was considering switching from the DX80 to the DX120. Now.... it seems as if I'm stuck with 2 400gb cards filled with music I can't use on a player without overwhelming it.

It may be a corrupt file on one of my cards that is causing the problems I'm having. Going to try to isolate it when I get a chance. It reads 30% of that card than stops scanning. Already got rid of extra image files, text files, and other crap one can get or create inside a music folder.
Interestingly, Directory view works fine. If you click on a song within a folder that was not scanned, it becomes instantly scanned and part of the players database with Album, Artist, song listing.

I really think that I have one corrupt file that is hiccuping the system.

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #650 of 2,153
Hi, I have had this for a couple of weeks, i decided to try a balanced cable with my se535 as balanced output is something i have never had before.

I am surpirised - the sound is extremely bright to the point that it is unlistenable on some tracks, switching back to the single ended cable/output is much less treble intensive.

Is this what is should have expected.

any ideas (the cable is the same make)?

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #651 of 2,153
It may be a corrupt file on one of my cards that is causing the problems I'm having. Going to try to isolate it when I get a chance. It reads 30% of that card than stops scanning. Already got rid of extra image files, text files, and other crap one can get or create inside a music folder.
Interestingly, Directory view works fine. If you click on a song within a folder that was not scanned, it becomes instantly scanned and part of the players database with Album, Artist, song listing.

I like to have my entire collection playing on random at times, as if it were it's own radio station. At least on the DX80, I don't like using Directory mode as much because of how limited it felt when compared to the other sorting options.

Are you using anything to remove embedded data from your music/folders? I wonder how much that may play a role.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #652 of 2,153
Hi, I have had this for a couple of weeks, i decided to try a balanced cable with my se535 as balanced output is something i have never had before.

I am surpirised - the sound is extremely bright to the point that it is unlistenable on some tracks, switching back to the single ended cable/output is much less treble intensive.

Actually not every earphones benefit from balanced. You have to take into account what effect balanced has. Usually it is better separation, imaging and drier sound. The sounds are pronounced more distinctively. Usually it is good for low sensitivity headphones. Shure 535 may not be the case, as they can show their potential with SE output.

In my case, with SE215 no sibilance from balanced, but I cannot say that the sound has improved, just different, as I have said, drier and more distinctive, while from SE it sounds more analogue, although full.

Hope my thoughts help.

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #653 of 2,153
Actually not every earphones benefit from balanced. You have to take into account what effect balanced has. Usually it is better separation, imaging and drier sound. The sounds are pronounced more distinctively. Usually it is good for low sensitivity headphones. Shure 535 may not be the case, as they can show their potential with SE output.

In my case, with SE215 no sibilance from balanced, but I cannot say that the sound has improved, just different, as I have said, drier and more distinctive, while from SE it sounds more analogue, although full.

Hope my thoughts help.

Thank you, i wonder if i need to burn in the balanced output as I have been using the single-ended one exclusively so i have connected burn-in cable and see how it goes

d

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #654 of 2,153
Thank you, i wonder if i need to burn in the balanced output as I have been using the single-ended one exclusively so i have connected burn-in cable and see how it goes

d

There is a part of circuit that is not active when using SE output, but not vice versa. So it is advised to burn in balanced. However if you ask me, it is more of your brain getting used to new sound, so just enjoy music

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #655 of 2,153

Please use the burn in cable or headphone in balanced to burn in the complete circuit. Since you have used the DX120 in single ended only, part of the circuit has never been used.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 16, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #656 of 2,153

Late last night I deleted the folder that had the suspect corrupt file and sure enough, no problems with the complete scan. No problems using genre play as well.
The folder had about 30 or so albums so the next trick is to find the exact one, so I can reload the other 29 or so albums.

So, no, no problems at all with the DX120 reading a 400 gig SD card, unless one has a corrupt file that is. Funny, the corrupt file, whatever it is, reads fine in the DX200.

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #657 of 2,153
Late last night I deleted the folder that had the suspect corrupt file and sure enough, no problems with the complete scan. No problems using genre play as well.
The folder had about 30 or so albums so the next trick is to find the exact one, so I can reload the other 29 or so albums.

So, no, no problems at all with the DX120 reading a 400 gig SD card, unless one has a corrupt file that is. Funny, the corrupt file, whatever it is, reads fine in the DX200.

If you find the album that is causing problems can you please send it to me? I will have our software team see what the issue is. You can use WeTransfer and my email paul@ibasso.com and service@ibasso.com, if you don't mind.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 18, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #659 of 2,153
DX120 - button problem!!

My new DX120 arrived today - to Australia from Penon Audio. However none of the physical buttons work. Updated the firmware and did a factory reset - didn't help. The unit plays (and sounds great) and the touchscreen works - but volume and forward / back buttons do nothing. The volume is stuck on 30 and cannot be changed. If I am missing something obvious please let me know. I have contacted iBasso by email - so I guess I will find out what their customer service is like.

bummed!

I just received my DX120 today. I had this exact same problem. None of the buttons work, except for the power button. Volume remains at 30. Skip buttons not working. Is there anything I'm missing?

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #660 of 2,153
How long to burn in ibasso dx120..?

Please use the burn in cable or headphone in balanced to burn in the complete circuit. Since you have used the DX120 in single ended only, part of the circuit has never been used.

My experience having had the dx120 for a week or so is that burn-in does make a considerable difference. i found it too bright at first with single-ended but it settled down after many hours as i was too impatient to use the burn-in cable, i then switched to balanced and found it even more bright and difficult to listen to, Paul at ibasso suggested using the burn-in cable and i did so using a burn-in track on loop for about 40 hours, this made a real difference,.

So best to burn in for the recommended 100 hours although it maybe possible to reduce this by using a specific burn-in track (the one i use suggest it is 4 times as effective as normal music) i use professor johnsons from a cd i bought to check system setting years ago.

Hope this helps

d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back