iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 16, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #241 of 2,153
In a daylight it does help when you set the brightness to full (or higher than average), but in general the visibility/readability of the screen is pretty good to my eyes (i'm not making general statements, this is my perspective :wink:).

Yeah, playing with impedance does affect the sound, but it's on case-by-case basis with iematch - in some it improves, in other it could change the sound where you prefer tonality of the original. Not sure which iems you refer to. Btw, between SE and BAL of dx120, even SE has a wide enough soundstage, while BAL expands it a touch wider. With those selective iems where you would hear hissing with dx120, it's attenuated going from BAL to SE, but it's still there as I mentioned at the end of my "under the hood" section in the review. It's a mild soft "waterfall" type of noise floor hissing effect. I'm not gonna BS with "black background" or "it's not a big deal" because we all have a different ear sensitivity. I review not to promote the product, but to describe the product so people can decide for themselves if it's their cup of tea :wink: It does affect a few iems, and some people will hear it, other won't. Based on my experience, I hear it mostly with volume down to zero using my sensitive iems and when I raise the volume up to a normal listening level - in my cases it's not even noticeable. The only IEM where I find it to be a problem is Andromeda, but as many would know, Andro hisses with many DAPs. I only had a brief listening with Andro earlier, not enough to write impressions, and now it's out for repair (mmcx connector broke on one side).

If you have SE headphones, you need to buy BAL terminated replacement cable (if your headphones have a removable cable). You can't use SE to BAL adapter, you will short the output of the DAP because in SE (TRS) wiring the ground of L/R side is connected together and you can't split it to BAL (TRRS). If you can replace the cable and go balanced, higher output power will improve the efficiency of your headphones, since you don't have to push volume as high. In some cases it helps by providing more volume headroom, to eliminate some possible distortion.

Unless we have a different definition of what is "dry", I don't find N5ii or N5iiS to be dry. In music production, "dry" refers to when you don't apply any effects (no reverb, chorus, delays, etc) - that's a standard definition. In sound description, people have their own variations of definition, everything from a fantasy "flows like a water" to a golden-ear "at 7.35kHz the peak of 2.37dB is harsh" LOL!!! For me personally, I associate the sound being dry when it's more analytical, cold, and fast with a shorter decay where it becomes a little more digital and less analog. DX120 doesn't sound like that to my ears (and I always emphasize to "my ears"), unless maybe if you switch to reference sound mode with a sharp filter roll-off. So, in my book, DX120 is not dry, and you can play with filters and sound mode to fine tune it, to "warm" it up a bit.
I have Bose QC35 Headphones, they do have a detachable cable. Could you suggest where I could purchase a Balanced Terminated Replacement Cable? I am unable to convert the Headphones to Balanced so the Connector to the Headphones would have to remain SE. Is this possible?

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #242 of 2,153
Looking at the output of the DX120 vs DX90 (for SE PO only):

DX90 : Output Level: 1.3Vrms(Low gain), 2.0Vrms(Mid gain), 2.8Vrms(High Gain)
DX120: Maximum output level: 1.8Vrms (it says nothing about high/low gain)

Is it safe to say the DX90 has A lot more power for SE headphones? If I don't plan on using balanced in the (near?) future, getting the DX120 seems like half baked idea. Perhaps better DAC implementation but a significantly weaker amp?

I don't know what to tell you bud. I don't have any experience with DX90, and if the ONLY thing you care about is the spec number attached to SE output, then you already answered your own question and should stick to DX90 :) People upgrade to a new/another DAP because they are not happy with something in their current setup and want to improve either a sound quality, ergonomics, battery life, faster charging, balanced output, streaming, wireless headphones support, more power, etc. If you have DX90 and only use SE output and only care about output power because you have demanding headphones you can't drive efficiently with your current setup, then you should look into DX150/200 and find the right AMP module to meet your SE requirements (that's if you are interested in iBasso DAP). If you're comparing DX90 and DX120 and the only upgrade you are looking for is a higher output power of SE headphone output, DX120 is not for you.

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #243 of 2,153
I have Bose QC35 Headphones, they do have a detachable cable. Could you suggest where I could purchase a Balanced Terminated Replacement Cable? I am unable to convert the Headphones to Balanced so the Connector to the Headphones would have to remain SE. Is this possible?

I wasn't aware that QC35 has a balanced wiring. Typically, though not with every pair of cans, balanced wiring is on headphones with a separate L/R side of the cable going to corresponding cup (connecting L+/- and R+/-) separately. When you have connection from a single earcup, often the wire from one earcup goes through the headband and combined with another wire, tying grounds together. Not with every pair of cans, for example Oppo PM3 has single cup cable connection and still balanced wired, but it's more common to see SE wiring when cable goes only to one earcup.

I tried googling QC35 and balanced cable, and only came across a single source, a listing on Amazon for a balanced cable which is "unavailable" and has zero comments. QC35 is a commercial pair of cans, with a focus on wireless noise canceling performance rather than wired audiophile performance. Also, don't think they need too much power, and wired options is probably for a backup if you ran out of batteries. Again, just my assumption. I think you will be fine driving QC35 SE as is.

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #245 of 2,153
I wasn't aware that QC35 has a balanced wiring. Typically, though not with every pair of cans, balanced wiring is on headphones with a separate L/R side of the cable going to corresponding cup (connecting L+/- and R+/-) separately. When you have connection from a single earcup, often the wire from one earcup goes through the headband and combined with another wire, tying grounds together. Not with every pair of cans, for example Oppo PM3 has single cup cable connection and still balanced wired, but it's more common to see SE wiring when cable goes only to one earcup.

I tried googling QC35 and balanced cable, and only came across a single source, a listing on Amazon for a balanced cable which is "unavailable" and has zero comments. QC35 is a commercial pair of cans, with a focus on wireless noise canceling performance rather than wired audiophile performance. Also, don't think they need too much power, and wired options is probably for a backup if you ran out of batteries. Again, just my assumption. I think you will be fine driving QC35 SE as is.
Thank you for your comments. I realize the QC35 does NOT have Balanced wiring, but if I acquired a balanced cable with a 2.5 mm Jack would this cause problems with the DX120 or my Headphones. I never use the Headphones wirelessly, only with the cable but it is detachable. I do accept your comments and have read up with regard to the wiring connections. I have read somewhere that a Balanced cable could be attached to any IEM or Headphone. Is that statement correct? Many thanks for your review.

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #246 of 2,153
Thank you for your comments. I realize the QC35 does NOT have Balanced wiring, but if I acquired a balanced cable with a 2.5 mm Jack would this cause problems with the DX120 or my Headphones. I never use the Headphones wirelessly, only with the cable but it is detachable. I do accept your comments and have read up with regard to the wiring connections. I have read somewhere that a Balanced cable could be attached to any IEM or Headphone. Is that statement correct? Many thanks for your review.
Never try hooking up single ended headphones to a balanced amp. You will short together the separate grounds in the amp/amp section of your DAP.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #247 of 2,153
The DX90 does put out more power in single ended that the DX120. In balanced the DX120 will put out more power. For many IEMs and headphone the power out of the single ended socket of the DX120 will be enough for good headroom and performance. We developed the DX120 for audio performance and ease of use. By keeping the circuit focused on this we feel we have achieved a very high sound to cost ratio. With very sensitive and low ohm IEMs some hiss may be apparent to some users while others will not hear this. If we believed it would interfere with the enjoyment of music then we would have taken a different course. By taking the signal from the AKM dac and keeping it as pure as possible, you are hearing as clean a signal as possible. Using this method and developing an amplifier section both in single ended and balanced that complements the dac section, we feel that the DX120 will meet the requirements of many users for sound and UI performance. And as always, Enjoy the Music!

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 16, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #248 of 2,153
I have a question.
So what would You say is a minimal resistance headphones or IEMs for DX120 o get rid of the hiss?

I'm just starting with audio equipment collection and want to get a perfect setup on the spot.
In the review above it has been mentioned that on some 32Ω earbuds hiss is gone.
And what maximal headphone resistance DX120 could run to properly hit them up?

Sep 16, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #249 of 2,153

So, there won't be a balanced cable for Sennheiser Momentum and HD598. I am planning to buy balanced cables for both these headphones. The cables are available at Amazon and Aliexpress. Can anyone confirm if these cables work?

One of the reviewer said to got a confirmation from Sennheiser that HD598 cabling is balanced.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32843066350.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.6e852e0ejxjhF2
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32843046523.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.6e852e0ejxjhF2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075C9HXW...olid=1HLF8DTSCU0DY&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078Y512Q...olid=1HLF8DTSCU0DY&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I posted this very query on Momentum thread but did not get any replies.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #250 of 2,153
I have a question.
So what would You say is a minimal resistance headphones or IEMs for DX120 o get rid of the hiss?

I'm just starting with audio equipment collection and want to get a perfect setup on the spot.
In the review above it has been mentioned that on some 32Ω earbuds hiss is gone.
And what maximal headphone resistance DX120 could run to properly hit them up?

I feel like we are in bizarro world :p talking about something which dozens of daps exhibit, yet the focus is in this thread, with so many people getting confused (as I see by a flood of the messages I received in private).

Full size dynamic and planar cans, don't worry about. Single dynamic and BA driver iems, don't worry about it. Most of the hybrids and multi BA iems with impedance over 32ohm, don't worry about. Other multi BAs and hybrids under 32ohm might exhibit some hissing which in many cases not audible during normal playback, but rather when you play with volume down to zero or in a quiet passages of the song. And even with that, some won't even hear it because it could be below their ear sensitivity threshold. I didn't test dx120 with Zeus which is notorious for hissing with almost everything (don't have Zeus since last year, was a loaner), but the only one where I do hear hissing during playback with volume up is Andromeda, another notorious hissing candidate.

And, can other dx120 reviewers and owners please chime in with their impressions, don't want this to turn into one man show lol! :D

Sep 16, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #251 of 2,153
I feel like we are in bizarro world :p talking about something which dozens of daps exhibit, yet the focus is in this thread, with so many people getting confused (as I see by a flood of the messages I received in private).

Full size dynamic and planar cans, don't worry about. Single dynamic and BA driver iems, don't worry about it. Most of the hybrids and multi BA iems with impedance over 32ohm, don't worry about. Other multi BAs and hybrids under 32ohm might exhibit some hissing which in many cases not audible during normal playback, but rather when you play with volume down to zero or in a quiet passages of the song. And even with that, some won't even hear it because it could be below their ear sensitivity threshold. I didn't test dx120 with Zeus which is notorious for hissing with almost everything (don't have Zeus since last year, was a loaner), but the only one where I do hear hissing during playback with volume up is Andromeda, another notorious hissing candidate.

And, can other dx120 reviewers and owners please chime in with their impressions, don't want this to turn into one man show lol! :D

Excellent and very detailed post about this. This plague will happen to every devices, nothing will be excluded, and that means not even expensive devices. So, your choice of gears will matter by a lot. This hobby is more than simply buying a player and get a headphones ! Just like any hobby

And in one simple paragraph, twister has made a comprehensive detailed about this situation !

Sep 16, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #252 of 2,153
I
I don't know what to tell you bud. I don't have any experience with DX90, and if the ONLY thing you care about is the spec number attached to SE output, then you already answered your own question and should stick to DX90 :) People upgrade to a new/another DAP because they are not happy with something in their current setup and want to improve either a sound quality, ergonomics, battery life, faster charging, balanced output, streaming, wireless headphones support, more power, etc. If you have DX90 and only use SE output and only care about output power because you have demanding headphones you can't drive efficiently with your current setup, then you should look into DX150/200 and find the right AMP module to meet your SE requirements (that's if you are interested in iBasso DAP). If you're comparing DX90 and DX120 and the only upgrade you are looking for is a higher output power of SE headphone output, DX120 is not for you.

Well you know how it is :

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. :)

I was just really hyped at first because this player looks beautiful with a new more streamline UI and a bigger and faster charging battery. I am looking for a relatively cheap pure DAP that sounds better than the one I currently own but still I would rather it be at least as capable as my current one when it comes to driving more demanding headphones. Who knows maybe this thing would sound much sweeter even though it doesn't have as much power.

The DX90 does put out more power in single ended that the DX120. In balanced the DX120 will put out more power. For many IEMs and headphone the power out of the single ended socket of the DX120 will be enough for good headroom and performance. We developed the DX120 for audio performance and ease of use. By keeping the circuit focused on this we feel we have achieved a very high sound to cost ratio. With very sensitive and low ohm IEMs some hiss may be apparent to some users while others will not hear this. If we believed it would interfere with the enjoyment of music then we would have taken a different course. By taking the signal from the AKM dac and keeping it as pure as possible, you are hearing as clean a signal as possible. Using this method and developing an amplifier section both in single ended and balanced that complements the dac section, we feel that the DX120 will meet the requirements of many users for sound and UI performance. And as always, Enjoy the Music!

Thanks for the clarification :)

Sep 16, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #253 of 2,153
Well, I do fully agree.
Thanks for the answer - it was spot on!

Than there are quite many candidates under given parameters. :p
Well. This DAP looks like a great starting gear!

Also how long does it usually take for a new gear to get reviewed?
I understand that it is dependant on the model and "hype", but... Burning in is supposed to last around 50 hours?
I mean, more good reviews would be more than welcome!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #254 of 2,153
@twister6

That's mainly my concern is how well this would play with my Andromedas. Sorry to pick nits, but what are the gain settings that are available? Is it low/high or low/medium/high? If it's 3 setting, the low might be good enough to eliminate hiss on the Andromeda.

Hate to have to go SE or use iematch...

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #255 of 2,153
@twister6

That's mainly my concern is how well this would play with my Andromedas. Sorry to pick nits, but what are the gain settings that are available? Is it low/high or low/medium/high? If it's 3 setting, the low might be good enough to eliminate hiss on the Andromeda.

Hate to have to go SE or use iematch...

DX120 has high/low gain. I'm gonna be honest with you man, if you are looking for a specific pair up with Andromeda without iEMatch, I wouldn't recommend dx120. I see you have R6, that one pairs up OK with Andro but iEMatch is a MUST imho (due to high output impedance of R6), and I don't expect improvement with upcoming low OI R6 Pro either since output power going to be boosted. I know, this is off topic, but I think at some point once I get Andro replacement (or after repair), I need to make a short write up going through all the DAPs I received for review and just noting hiss or no-hiss with Andro since it always comes up as a hot topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back