iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 17, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #271 of 2,153
Seems like DX120 is quite nice, readintg what others had to say so far :)

At that price, must be a truly killer device

I thought you already received your review sample? Don't quite see the point of your post George, time to start sharing impressions :D

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #272 of 2,153
This is a bit more money than you want to spend but still a bargain for a great quality cable, have a couple of them and they are excellent.
Go to the AliExpress site and search for
8 Core Pure Silver Upgraded Cable
Have them on my CA Atlas and the cable seems to bring out all of the best the Atlas has to offer.

Thanks, but those are quite a lot more than i wanted to spend :p

in the budget side (they can be obtained cheaper than $25 when on sale), but quite better quality than your link's ($12), i got several of these.
very well built, awesome conductivity, nice progressive strain reliefs, soft and flexible, repairable plugs, while cheap.
there are variants of this cable (copper, copper(gnd)+plated copper(+), plated copper). you can check their dc resistance and pics here (number 52).

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried the 12$ ones though? They are cheap but look like good quality and I was just thinking of something that works.

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #274 of 2,153
Thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried the 12$ ones though? They are cheap but look like good quality and I was just thinking of something that works.
i've tried the single ended version of that cable, and measured its dc resistance (number 42 in the list of this post ).
although small or none differences in sound, i always prefer a cable with better conductivity; it's a symptom of better materials used, wider total section of wire, and overall quality of the cable, frequently.
the one i suggested has 3x the conductivity of yours, and is better built (better plugs, strain reliefs, etc.), but costs 2x.
any of them will serve. personally, for UM Merlin CIEM, i'd get the cable suggested by @Carlsan . but if you want to go cheap, get advantage of my experience with that kind of cables and go for a better cable than the $12 one.
anyway, this is a DX120 thread. choose another thread for cables discussion.
hope you find the cable which fits your needs.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #275 of 2,153
Is there a user manual anywhere for this
Links to manuals are usually at the bottom of a product page, but for DX120 currently it points to the general downloads section.

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #277 of 2,153
i've tried the single ended version of that cable, and measured its dc resistance (number 42 in the list of this post ).
although small or none differences in sound, i always prefer a cable with better conductivity; it's a symptom of better materials used, wider total section of wire, and overall quality of the cable, frequently.
the one i suggested has 3x the conductivity of yours, and is better built (better plugs, strain reliefs, etc.), but costs 2x.
any of them will serve. personally, for UM Merlin CIEM, i'd get the cable suggested by @Carlsan . but if you want to go cheap, get advantage of my experience with that kind of cables and go for a better cable than the $12 one.
anyway, this is a DX120 thread. choose another thread for cables discussion.
hope you find the cable which fits your needs.

Thanks a lot for your input, didn't mean to derail this thread.

Waiting eagerly for more impressions of the DX120 :)

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #278 of 2,153
My baby is home. Love it so much. Low gain with AKG Y15 sounds amazing.
Good fit for hand too. Ui is ok fast for me with 90 MB/s card inside, scanning with 1166 tracks took few minutes (60GB in size).

One minus, the 32bit 384 kHz flac files wont play at all.
Some missing album art, the 3000 and 5000 pix ones for sure, don't know where the max res limit is, but will test out later.

My baby is home. iBasso DX120.jpg

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #279 of 2,153
Good fit for hand too. Ui is ok fast for me with 90 MB/s card inside, scanning with 1166 tracks took few minutes (60GB in size).

Some missing album art, the 3000 and 5000 pix ones for sure, don't know where the max res limit is, but will test out later.

That's wierd, since on producer's site there is info that sample rate, that device should be running, should be up to 384, 32 bit.
Do You think it is a firmware issue?

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #280 of 2,153
Depending on where you go to the 384/32 file, it will dead froze the player or just stay still and let select another file.
I will resample to 24bit 384kHz, see if this helps.
----
EDIT
For album art i see the 3000 pix ones work, but one limit seems to be somewhere over 900 KB in file size. Now i need batch tool that can resize embed album art.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #281 of 2,153

I have also found Artwork missing in some instances. I am unable to ascertain the cause.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #282 of 2,153
Don't suppose this thing has native podcast/audiobook support does it? Failing that bookmark resume option of any sort? God I miss the days when that was a common feature and the most obvious question was "does it do gapless" :) :frowning2:

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #283 of 2,153
Don't suppose this thing has native podcast/audiobook support does it? Failing that bookmark resume option of any sort? God I miss the days when that was a common feature and the most obvious question was "does it do gapless" :) :frowning2:

now, if you need this feature you have to go for android dap and probably look for an app supporting it.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #284 of 2,153
now, if you need this feature you have to go for android dap and probably look for an app supporting it.

Which is why I got the hiby r6 in the first place, and it's fine aside from the pesky impedence factor :p

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #285 of 2,153
For what it's worth, when I had dx80 I had missing arts and random crash when embedded arts where hires,.for ex hdtracks files. I went crazy, but then resized all arts to 600x600 pixels and had no problems since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back