iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 17, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #256 of 2,153
DX120 has high/low gain. I'm gonna be honest with you man, if you are looking for a specific pair up with Andromeda without iEMatch, I wouldn't recommend dx120. I see you have R6, that one pairs up OK with Andro but iEMatch is a MUST imho (due to high output impedance of R6), and I don't expect improvement with upcoming low OI R6 Pro either since output power going to be boosted. I know, this is off topic, but I think at some point once I get Andro replacement (or after repair), I need to make a short write up going through all the DAPs I received for review and just noting hiss or no-hiss with Andro since it always comes up as a hot topic.
It's just such a picky beast! I actually don't mind the r6 along with some EQ/gain playing around. I do not like it with iematch.... Kills the 3D space IMO. I just don't know that it's... "Correct" because it's so tweaked to my liking.

Thanks for the honesty. I'm still looking for a mid priced DAP where I actually feel like what I'm hearing is reliable with the Andromeda, but can get to the quality of the r6's ess9028s. Maybe the shanling m5s will be the one...

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #258 of 2,153
Sony zx300 in balanced.
I hesitate to buy Sony anything, so would really need to demo it, especially given its age.... I can't even easily find what DAC chip is in it nor even basic specs about thd, snr, crosstalk, etc.

What DAC chip is in that one?

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #260 of 2,153
I hesitate to buy Sony anything, so would really need to demo it, especially given its age.... I can't even easily find what DAC chip is in it nor even basic specs about thd, snr, crosstalk, etc.

What DAC chip is in that one?
It doesnt have a DAC chip per se but has a chip called S Master by Sony. More of a LPF which does the job of digital to analogue.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #261 of 2,153
Never try hooking up single ended headphones to a balanced amp. You will short together the separate grounds in the amp/amp section of your DAP.
I understand what you are saying, but surely someone could produce a converter designed to overcome that problem? Electronic Manufacturers produce all sorts of products to meet obscure needs, does any one know of such a product? At some future date I will purchase Balanced Headphones, but QC35 were a Christmas present from my wife so I will have to wait a while.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #262 of 2,153
I understand what you are saying, but surely someone could produce a converter designed to overcome that problem? Electronic Manufacturers produce all sorts of products to meet obscure needs, does any one know of such a product? At some future date I will purchase Balanced Headphones, but QC35 were a Christmas present from my wife so I will have to wait a while.
No. It's a bad idea due to the inherent wiring difference of the ground, any converter would be complex and expensive (I think you could do it if you disconnect the grounds, but that has downsides of its own), but cables themselves are cheap.... There are "adapters" out there billed to do just as you say, but they are essentially just asking you to damage your amp. 3.5mm male to 2.5mm male is the cable that is sold but it's not a converter, it's all balanced wiring, so it will output wrong into the headphones if anything in the chain is wired SE. Some headphones will need internally rewired, some just need new cables. IEMs in general are great because the cables are so interchangeable and cheap (basically most iems being 2 pin or mmcx).

When I owned the oppo pm-3, which is internally balanced wiring, I couldn't get a simple 2.5 to 3.5mm balanced cable in a reasonable length for less than $80, which makes zero sense. You should be able to find a cable like that for $10. It's actually simpler than a standard balanced 2 pin or mmcx cable.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #263 of 2,153
Its age? Really?
Maybe I'm confused, the thread on it dates back to 2014, but most reviews are from this year.... When was it released?

Honestly though, with the new announcements I'm starting to feel like my hiby r6 is getting old.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #264 of 2,153
Maybe I'm confused, the thread on it dates back to 2014, but most reviews are from this year.... When was it released?

Honestly though, with the new announcements I'm starting to feel like my hiby r6 is getting old.
It was launched last year fall IIRC.

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #265 of 2,153
No. It's a bad idea due to the inherent wiring difference of the ground, any converter would be complex and expensive (I think you could do it if you disconnect the grounds, but that has downsides of its own), but cables themselves are cheap.... There are "adapters" out there billed to do just as you say, but they are essentially just asking you to damage your amp. 3.5mm male to 2.5mm male is the cable that is sold but it's not a converter, it's all balanced wiring, so it will output wrong into the headphones if anything in the chain is wired SE. Some headphones will need internally rewired, some just need new cables. IEMs in general are great because the cables are so interchangeable and cheap (basically most iems being 2 pin or mmcx).

When I owned the oppo pm-3, which is internally balanced wiring, I couldn't get a simple 2.5 to 3.5mm balanced cable in a reasonable length for less than $80, which makes zero sense. You should be able to find a cable like that for $10. It's actually simpler than a standard balanced 2 pin or mmcx cable.
Thanks for your input. Looks as if I will have to wait till I buy new Headphones.

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #266 of 2,153
Well, out of boredom I started looking into whole balanced vs SE issue. I figure I can use my Sennheiser HD598 if i buy a 2.5 trrs balanced cable (the headphones should have balanced wiring in them from what I read) and I could also replace my UM Merlin CIEM cable with a balanced one. I know a lot of people here spend hundreds of dollars on moon-audio and others, but I just want a standard balanced cable - wondering if this could work.

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #267 of 2,153
I am really enjoying the sound and performance of the DX120. Great size and weight and my headphones in balanced sound effortless. Good stuff.

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #268 of 2,153
Well, out of boredom I started looking into whole balanced vs SE issue. I figure I can use my Sennheiser HD598 if i buy a 2.5 trrs balanced cable (the headphones should have balanced wiring in them from what I read) and I could also replace my UM Merlin CIEM cable with a balanced one. I know a lot of people here spend hundreds of dollars on moon-audio and others, but I just want a standard balanced cable - wondering if this could work.

This is a bit more money than you want to spend but still a bargain for a great quality cable, have a couple of them and they are excellent.
Go to the AliExpress site and search for
8 Core Pure Silver Upgraded Cable
Have them on my CA Atlas and the cable seems to bring out all of the best the Atlas has to offer.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #269 of 2,153

This is a bit more money than you want to spend but still a bargain for a great quality cable, have a couple of them and they are excellent.
Go to the AliExpress site and search for
8 Core Pure Silver Upgraded Cable
Have them on my CA Atlas and the cable seems to bring out all of the best the Atlas has to offer.
in the budget side (they can be obtained cheaper than $25 when on sale), but quite better quality than your link's ($12), i got several of these.
very well built, awesome conductivity, nice progressive strain reliefs, soft and flexible, repairable plugs, while cheap.
there are variants of this cable (copper, copper(gnd)+plated copper(+), plated copper). you can check their dc resistance and pics here (number 52).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back