iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Dec 9, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #994 of 2,153
Hi guys im planning on buying this dap..what do you think of it coming from a hiby R3?will it give a big difference sound quality wise?

From Headfonics review:

Depth
After a while, though the differences start to make themselves heard. The R3 just lacks that same level of staging depth as the DX120. The DX120 just has the edge on bringing out that sub-bass presence and power compared to the R3. That enhanced depth, in part, allows the DX120 to sound just that little bit more holographic in its soundstage over the R3.

Midrange Dynamics
The detail is all there and the R3 continues to be a wonderful player for clarity. However, the R3 is not quite as vivid sounding as the DX120 particularly in the midrange and vocal dynamics. There seems to be a more neutral and controlled mids presentation on the R3 compared to the fuller and more forward sounding vocal of the DX120.

The DX120’s background also seems that little bit blacker, particularly on solo guitar work. For example, Duran Duran’s Ordinary World’s brief guitar solo seems a lot easier to pick out and more lifelike than the R3 playing the exact same track and same solo passage.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #997 of 2,153
Is the UI still laging or sluggish?

I've found that when you start the player it takes a few minutes to really get settled in. It will start but not necessarily jump on to the next tune, it's as if it's doing a quick scan in the background that it hasn't finished.
It's fine after that.
The UI has room for improvement.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #998 of 2,153
I've found that when you start the player it takes a few minutes to really get settled in. It will start but not necessarily jump on to the next tune, it's as if it's doing a quick scan in the background that it hasn't finished.
It's fine after that.
The UI has room for improvement.
Please try either a reinstall of the firmware or a factory reset or both. I test our DX120 often and startup time is about 17 seconds or a little less and I can go right into a song. I can do this from Album or directory.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #999 of 2,153
Thanks Paul, will do.

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #1,001 of 2,153
Hi guys im planning on buying this dap..what do you think of it coming from a hiby R3?will it give a big difference sound quality wise?

The difference is large. Every aspect of audio reproduction is superior on the DX120. The internal R3 DAC & amp stages sound no different to an iPhone 6S to me. The DX120 is up there with the Hp-p1.

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #1,002 of 2,153
The difference is large. Every aspect of audio reproduction is superior on the DX120. The internal R3 DAC & amp stages sound no different to an iPhone 6S to me. The DX120 is up there with the Hp-p1.

I am not good at comparing so I can't say how large the difference is but I borrowed my husband's R3 last night to listen with my Nighthawk balanced. While it drove them well, the magic that I feel with the DX120 was not there. I have never used a phone as a source so I cannot comment on that.

I will add that the DX120 is more ergonomic in my hand and I like the UI better.

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,004 of 2,153
Guys,

any modified FW that is recommended, similar to the Lurker FWs for the DX80, which I highly enjoyed?
Or should I just stick with the official FW for now (noticed latest FW is a few months old at this point)?
Also noticed the purist ROM from Fidelizer, which was not asomething I was aware of. Whats does that do for the sounds quality?

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,005 of 2,153
Guys,

any modified FW that is recommended, similar to the Lurker FWs for the DX80, which I highly enjoyed?
Or should I just stick with the official FW for now (noticed latest FW is a few months old at this point)?
Also noticed the purist ROM from Fidelizer, which was not asomething I was aware of. Whats does that do for the sounds quality?

Purist ROM will improve system and file I/O performance including better battery life, remove non-audio components in Particle engine, remove Android audio effects in audio chain for Purist performance (doesn't break Equalizer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back