iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Dec 4, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #961 of 2,153
1) I do get a quick crackling static sound sometimes when listening through line out - it happens sometimes when I hit the pause button.
3) not sure if you're aware of this - when you tap the artwork, information appears - tap again to make it disappear - this has worked reliably for me so far.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #962 of 2,153
Guys,

I finally went for the DX120 and should get it next week.
In preparation for this, would like to ask suggestions on the ideal output connection for hooking it up to an amp. I have an old mid-fi Onkyo that I quite like the sound of and was wondering if would it be better to just use the line output into it or maybe it would be even better to buy a trss cable and use the balanced output.
I am kinda a noob in regards to balanced outputs, so wanted to get your comments in this regard, to not buy unnecessary cables.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #963 of 2,153
Guys,

I finally went for the DX120 and should get it next week.
In preparation for this, would like to ask suggestions on the ideal output connection for hooking it up to an amp. I have an old mid-fi Onkyo that I quite like the sound of and was wondering if would it be better to just use the line output into it or maybe it would be even better to buy a trss cable and use the balanced output.
I am kinda a noob in regards to balanced outputs, so wanted to get your comments in this regard, to not buy unnecessary cables.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Does the Onkyo have balanced inputs? If not, inputting a balanced signal into a single ended input would be bad - how bad? try to imagine all life as you know if stopping instantaneously - total protonic reversal. - maybe not that bad, but how to do it correctly is beyond my knowledge. I would make life easy and use the line out if you only have unbalanced (rca) inputs.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #964 of 2,153
Does the Onkyo have balanced inputs? If not, inputting a balanced signal into a single ended input would be bad - how bad? try to imagine all life as you know if stopping instantaneously - total protonic reversal.

It has input for two RCA connectors (L and R), so assume that is classified as balanced inputs? or am I missing something?

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #965 of 2,153
I'm no expert to be able to explain this in detail, but balanced inputs usually accept xlr terminated cables - while rca terminated cables are called unbalanced or single ended. It is most likely that your amp has unbalanced inputs and does not support a balanced signal directly. And even if you were to convert the balanced signal to unbalanced to feed into your amp - it wouldn't provide any benefit.

In general, balanced means cables with xlr or trrs plugs and unbalanced is rca cables or trs, either 3.5mm (1/8th inch typical headphone jack like the line out on the dx120 or 6.3mm (1/4" - the big headphone jack). A balanced xlr cable would have either a right and left pair of 3 pin xlr plugs like on a balanced amplifier or one 4 pin xlr termination - like you would see on a headphone cable. Balanced trrs is either a 2.5mm plug or 3.5mm, or even a 4.4mm plug that sony uses - it's tricky because a 3.5mm plug can be either balanced or unbalanced - you can tell them apart by the number of black stripes on the tip. There are ways to cross the streams, for example you can go from a balanced headphone cable (xlr or trrs) with an adapter to plug into an unbalanced 1/4" or 1/8" output from a headphone amplifier, but not the other way around.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #966 of 2,153
My power management sleep timer setting is reverting to 'off' when I power down. I had it set for sleep timer after two hours, and after powering off and then on again it goes back to 'off'. Is there a way for the dx120 to remember the sleep timer setting when powering back on?

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #967 of 2,153
I remember shaking my DX120 when i first got it because of the whole "loose screw" thing. I didn't hear a thing and have been chilling ever since. I wokeup today doh, and when i picked it up and it moved sideways, i heard the screw. Is this gonna be a problem?

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #968 of 2,153
I'm looking at the DX120 as an upgrade to my FiiO X3 2nd gen, but I had a few questions and was hoping that someone from iBasso (or someone with experience with this unit) could answer them.

1. Does the DX120 support ReplayGain tag information? Someone asked this partway through this thread but I didn't see the question answer - if not, is there plans to add it in a future firmware update? Essential for me (or I think anyone) who uses a DAP in shuffle mode so you aren't ambushed by a sudden change in volume between tracks.

2. Is there any sample rate limitation on the equalizer? On the X3, anything higher than 48kHz and the EQ doesn't work - as a result, I've had to downsample any high-res music I put on to it to 24/48 so I can use the onboard equalizer. If I get a new DAP I'd like it to be able to apply EQ to 192kHz/24bit FLAC files at the very least and not have to fiddle around resampling stuff simply to use an onboard function.
(The X3 also doesn't allow EQing of DSD files at all, but as far as I know that's a limitation of the file format itself and there aren't any digital playback devices that do DSD EQing.)

3. Is the DX120 powerful enough to drive a pair of OPPO PM-3s in either single ended or balanced mode? With the X3 I have to have the volume level up fairly high numerically speaking (generally 100-105 out of a possible 120) to get a desirable level of volume from the PM-3s.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #971 of 2,153
Mine was always up and working... just had that loose screw rattling and I was worried that something bad would happen. We had to order that suction cup that is pictured in the video before we could get the back off. When we had that, it was still hard work to get the back off... very tight. Once the back was open there were two tiny screws rolling around in there. Putting it back together was difficult as well.. you have to be careful not to dislodge the connector for the buttons.
You rescrewed it back on or just took'm out? I saw the video, but it didnt show how to put it back on. You just pushed it in? Since this morning I havent used my DX120, fearing the screw inside there would become a problem eventually.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #972 of 2,153
The only fault I had with build quality was a loose screw inside the player, but I was able to fix that in a few minutes using the video provided by Paul. Disassembly was very easy (and the insides were super clean and well built!) It has a beautiful design and a nice heft.
Regarding putting the back on(it wasnt on the video), it just snaps back on after putting a little pressure?

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #973 of 2,153
You rescrewed it back on or just took'm out? I saw the video, but it didnt show how to put it back on. You just pushed it in? Since this morning I havent used my DX120, fearing the screw inside there would become a problem eventually.

Please speak to @Paul - iBasso first. There are several things to be aware of and I do not want to cause you to make a mistake. The back is on very tight. You will need that suction cup tool, and you must be super careful putting the back on.

Dec 5, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #975 of 2,153

Thanks Paul!

That explains that then! (Would that be a possible software mod? Or is that a hardware limitation?)

A few issues after a months use.
1) Does anyone else get crackling when running an external amp when you skip tracks with the side buttons?
2) Some tracks are not displaying in albums in 'Album' view. (They display and play when you search in 'Directory' mode)
3) Track number or title sometimes does not display over the album art meaning you have to return to the album track list to see what the track is called.
That's interesting to hear, I've been putting off getting this DAP because of earlier reported concerns about line out noise. But was assured by iBasso (via facebook) that the new FW had solved this issue. Can you confirm what FW you are using - is it the very latest FW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back