iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Nov 15, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #857 of 2,153
Can't you order it from their website directly?
I can however 2 things stop me:
1. High custom duty after 1st purchase.
2. Possibility of RMA and again high custom duty.

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #858 of 2,153
I can however 2 things stop me:
1. High custom duty after 1st purchase.
2. Possibility of RMA and again high custom duty.

I can't believe there would be customs charges if you had to have it replaced. Are you sure that would happen? You would have already paid those charges when you first purchased it.

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #859 of 2,153
Indeed ... the legacy of the brits and their clean trading practices have left the Indian system embroiled in corruption. I double checked... any item that goes out of the country and comes back again, irrespective of whether duty was paid earlier, shall be liable to attract customs duty. Even the 5th time its RMA'd

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #861 of 2,153
I don't see how that can be legal. Actually when it is being returned to you it seems like the value would be zero because you are not purchasing it at that point.
Indeed. However its more to do with entry into the territory of India than me having paid at that point in time. These are the vagaries of the so called free trade world.

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #862 of 2,153
Excellent review! I wonder what Paul would say about the fact that there is no difference between the first four filters? I wonder if there is a difference in the past firmware 2.1.20 and 2.0.0?

I haven't maybe tried long enough but I don't find any difference between the sound modes, but filters on the other hand I do.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #864 of 2,153
There are no differences in the sound modes that I could find either. I tried running signals out and looking at them on the oscilloscope- no change at all.

I have only tried Natural and Reference and have no idea if there was a difference. Sticking with Natural because that suits me psychologically :)

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #865 of 2,153
I have looked for sound modes on AK website as it's probably a feature of the AK4495 but found this instead :

jbzRX0Zn2v2E4WjObmVM7KzwhTB3T4.png

Also interesting to see how AH4495 sits in the DAC range

WvExvXAnlZz0j3lvkP8EGnBUEyYhcs.png

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #866 of 2,153
I have looked for sound modes on AK website as it's probably a feature of the AK4495 but found this instead :

Yes a similar chart has been posted in the Cayin N3 thread which uses the same DAC chip.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #867 of 2,153
The DX120 obviously has 2 sets of buttons on there for the same thing, but only 1 set controls the actual feature. I think the 'sound mode' buttons are obviously some vestigial artifact left over from development, and they've simply left it until they release a redesigned UI in an update. I think some software designer in China is having a chuckle at all these people trying to figure out what these buttons do!

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #868 of 2,153

jbzRX0Zn2v2E4WjObmVM7KzwhTB3T4.png

Also interesting to see how AH4495 sits in the DAC range

WvExvXAnlZz0j3lvkP8EGnBUEyYhcs.png

iBasso claims on the DX120 site to have gotten a THD+N of -111 db, using the AK4495. I suppose that would push it towards 4493 territory.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #869 of 2,153
The DX120 obviously has 2 sets of buttons on there for the same thing, but only 1 set controls the actual feature. I think the 'sound mode' buttons are obviously some vestigial artifact left over from development, and they've simply left it until they release a redesigned UI in an update. I think some software designer in China is having a chuckle at all these people trying to figure out what these buttons do!

Don't you think iBasso would have eliminated that Sound Mode choice if it was redundant? You might be on to something though... Meanwhile I will stick to my Super Slow Roll Off/ Natural combination.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #870 of 2,153
Don't you think iBasso would have eliminated that Sound Mode choice if it was redundant? You might be on to something though... Meanwhile I will stick to my Super Slow Roll Off/ Natural combination.
That's exactly what I'm using too, sounds nice! I think the buttons are kinda like 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' So they aren't causing problems, but they are as useful as the 'close door' buttons in an elevator. I wrote Paul a list of things that seemed to be a little wonky with this player, and he said he'd pass it on to the software engineers- this was one of the things I mentioned.

There are a few other things, but I'm not exactly sure if anyone else is having issues. Since Paul didn't send me any fixes, I'm assuming that perhaps these are things they are finding out about as people use the player more.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but the equalizer doesn't work when I play DSD files. And there is a lot of noise when switching between DSD and other formats. I think they obviously need to tweak the software a bit more for DSD use. Also, DSD doesn't play at all when I use the Coax Line out.

Given their attention to customer service, I'm pretty confident that this stuff will be resolved. Despite some of the little gripes, I can't imagine a better player that I can afford. The sound is addictive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back