iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #841 of 2,799

Quote:
Sounds like a guy I'd like :) I think I already stumbled over a blog like that ... was he by happenstance called TheOneWhoMustNotBeNamed ... the O2 story?

Yep, that's the guy!

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #842 of 2,799
Wow .. there's even an automatic string replacement in place .. I didn't know it was that grave .. fine, let's not discuss him if it upsets the board .. I can follow that on my own :)

On topic: Has anyone else have had correspondence with iBasso?

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #843 of 2,799

This Is Huge

(and you can try going back through thousands of my posts looking for the last time that I used large lettering on here...)

So here is my email to iBasso on the output impedance issue:

Hello,
Happy new year to everyone at iBasso!
I am very excited about the DX100 PAD. Like many people, I want to use this with high end custom IEMs. To get a proper frequency response and performance, this requires the DX100 have low output impedance. The ideal is >1. Anything greater than 2 starts to become worrisome.
Do you know what the output impedance will be?
Much thanks,

and this is their reply:

Hi,
Happy New Year.
The output impedance is less than 0.3ohm while frequency response is on 20~20K.
Sincerely
iBasso Audio

(emphasis added)

Okay, iBasso are taking this DAP very seriously. The game is on. Bring on the DX100!

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #844 of 2,799

Quote:

This Is Huge

The output impedance is less than 0.3ohm while frequency response is on 20~20K.

THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN - IT DOES NOTHING!!!!?!?!?

Take my money Ibasso, take it! TAKE IT ALL!

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #845 of 2,799
Is it technically possible to have one very low impedance on the 1/8" output, and a different, much higher one on the 1/4 output? If they manage that, properly implemented and with a linear frequency response for both, this would be quite the "reference" DAP indeed!

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #846 of 2,799
0.3 Ohm? By the 8x rule, that'd mean it can drive earphones with 2.4 Ohm and up properly .... out of curiosity, how many Ohms does a TF10 have? And: Is this all I need to know about the DX100 being able to drive the TF10 properly? I'm not very electronicy....

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #847 of 2,799
Quote:
Is it technically possible to have one very low impedance on the 1/8" output, and a different, much higher one on the 1/4 output? If they manage that, properly implemented and with a linear frequency response for both, this would be quite the "reference" DAP indeed!

I don't think that this would add much value. Meier Audio used to have two jacks on their home amplifiers, one >1 ohm and one at the old German standard of 120 ohms. Jan doesn't bother anymore. Headphones aren't designed for the higher output impedance and it doesn't help SQ. I have heard of exactly one headphone of recent that some think benefit from high output impedance: the monstrous Beyer TP5. Really, how many people will be using that with the DX100?

The new standard is >1 ohm.  IBasso has pegged it.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #850 of 2,799
I can hear the engines revving and the see the tires getting reading to squeal . . . :^)   this should be fun . . 

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #851 of 2,799
I wish it has Android and Wi-Fi to access my laptop FLAC library.
I wish it is on par with HM-801 SQ-wise. Then I will upgrade.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #852 of 2,799
Personally, I doubt it will have Wi-Fi.

But iBasso will obviously only be building this DAP with a high-end DAC chip in order to beat current audiophile competitors such as HM-801 and Colorfly C4

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #853 of 2,799

Quote:

But iBasso will obviously only be building this DAP with a high-end DAC chip in order to beat current audiophile competitors such as HM-801 and Colorfly C4

If given the choice I'd say for go the wi fi as a means of keeping the price more affordable

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #854 of 2,799
Quote:

But iBasso will obviously only be building this DAP with a high-end DAC chip in order to beat current audiophile competitors such as HM-801 and Colorfly C4 Pro

Quote:
If they would listen to my advice, I'd say forget the Wi-Fi in order to keep it more affordable.

You guys must have missed this reference a few posts back: ES9018 DAC, 64GB on-board + microSDHC slot, Android OS & WiFi confirmed.

That said, I'd have preferred a non-Wi-Fi version too, not only for costs reasons.

Jan 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #855 of 2,799

Quote:
0.3 Ohm? By the 8x rule, that'd mean it can drive earphones with 2.4 Ohm and up properly .... out of curiosity, how many Ohms does a TF10 have? And: Is this all I need to know about the DX100 being able to drive the TF10 properly? I'm not very electronicy....

Quote from laaudiofile.com:
[size=small]These earphones have an impedance rating of 32 ohms and our measurements seem to confirm this with an average of just over 30 ohms However, we measured a peak of 64.5 ohms at 1 kHz and a minimum of 6.7 ohms at 10kHz.[/size]

Quote from rinchoi.blogspot.com:
@ 100 Hz: 32 Ω (DC resistance)
@ 1 kHz: 60 Ω (resonant frequency? possibly due to the crossover network)
@ 10 kHz: 6 Ω (quite low. due to the multiple drivers coupled in parallel?)

It means around 32 in avarege with 6 Ohm in minimum and 64.5 Ohm in maximum.

With iBasso DX100 0.3Ohm impedance and 8X law. Even the 6 Ohm dip on the TF 10 wont be affected or maximum effect will be some kind of 0.5dB drop. That is very impressive btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back