iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #857 of 2,799

Quote:

You guys must have missed this reference a few posts back: ES9018 DAC, 64GB on-board + microSDHC slot, Android OS & WiFi confirmed.

That said, I'd have preferred a non-Wi-Fi version too, not only for costs reasons.

Thanks, I did see those specs, but this thread has aimlessly meandered without a compass for so long now that I confess I had forgotten the mention of Wi-Fi. Personally, I think it's rather absurd to include Wi-Fi on the DX100, but I guess iBasso want to maximise their potential customer base and may feel the need to entice potential iPod Touch customers (though I shudder to think of using a high-end DAP like the DX100 with the low-bitrate 'audio tracks' marketed on iTunes).

If I buy a DX100 (IF!), the Wi-Fi will remain switched off 99.99% of the time, perhaps only being switched on for very rare occasions like installing a specific audio-related app.
Generally-speaking, if I need Wi-Fi, I have a SGS2.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #858 of 2,799

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The ES9018 chip is just an empty buzz word without good circuit.

People have repeatedly said that in this thread, and of course there is some truth in it, but you know what?
ANY DAC chip is just an empty buzzword without a good circuit/components to implement it.

I'm more drawn by this being (potentially):

*a respectable DAC
              INTEGRATED with
*a respectable amp
*in a relatively portable form factor
*with a user interface which does properly what the 801 and C4 have failed miserably to achieve
*and with audio performance that (hopefully) exceeds that of the 801 and the C4

I really don't give two hoots what silicon is used to accomplish the above, I just care that it gets accomplished. If it doesn't, then I'll probably continue with my J3 until Fiio or someone else finally does achieve a superior end-result for us portable-audiophile-equipment users.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #859 of 2,799

Quote:
I would rather see a lesser dac chip with good circuit design. The ES9018 chip is just an empty buzz word without good circuit.

Exactly! But head-fiers here hope that DX100 will have a very very good es9018 implementation (aka circuit design). Only real world listening will show how good or bad this implementation will sound. You see... the thing is... DX100 aims to be a !reference! DAP. The only high end DAC chips in DAPs today are Hifiman with 602 and 801 which do have some flaws and aren't really universal for many tastes out there. iBasso aims for high end with es9018. As you mentioned it needs a good circuitry. The question here is will SQ of DX100 will be on par with very good desktop es9018 implementations or not. I bet it will be not less then just good. But when you here "Reference" you think of extremely high SQ. Maybe some people here don't care that much of it's SQ rather than aesthetics and powerful on-board amp. But what is then the reason to spend a lot of $ on mediocre sounding DAP that claims to be reference. There are a lot of DAPs out there with smaller price tags and with good SQ and hard drives or a lot of Flash for music storage. At least I am expecting a very high SQ from this bad boy, as now we already know that DX100 amp section will be totally compatible with high sensitivity low impedance BA IEMs with 0.3 Ohm output impedance. Fingers crossed.

People have repeatedly said that in this thread, and of course there is some truth in it, but you know what?
ANY DAC chip is just an empty buzzword without a good circuit/components to implement it.

On one hand you said it right. But as far as I know the es9018 is a lot more demanding to the circuitry then popular wolfsons or cirrus logic dacs. It can achieve its potential only with very good circuitry. With average circuitry it will sound average.

P.S. Just as I look back on previous iBasso releases I realize that all their claims where successfully obtained. Hope that DX100 won't become an exception. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #860 of 2,799
Battery life doesn't matter to you?

Quote:
ANY DAC chip is just an empty buzzword without a good circuit/components to implement it.

I'm more drawn by this being (potentially):

*a respectable DAC
              INTEGRATED with
*a respectable amp
*in a relatively portable form factor
*with a user interface which does properly what the 801 and C4 have failed miserably to achieve
*and with audio performance that (hopefully) exceeds that of the 801 and the C4

I really don't give two hoots what silicon is used to accomplish the above, I just care that it gets accomplished. If it doesn't, then I'll probably continue with my J3 until Fiio or someone else finally does achieve a superior end-result for us portable-audiophile-equipment users.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #861 of 2,799

Quote:

Look at the brick form factor of the DX100 and try to guess what will be inside besides electronic boards with big caps and screen. Battery of course. I think it will be as big as it can get. Battery life won't change much from our discussion. But I hope it to be better than 10 hours to be able to cover a one day or one night or a transatlantic flight with music listening.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #862 of 2,799

Quote:

Yes, of course battery life matters to me, but I'm not assuming the battery life will be below par - other head-fiers are assuming that. (yes, I know the amp may be current-hungry)

The point I was making with my previous post was simply that the things I mentioned do not (yet) exist in the DAP marketplace, so that is what I am seeking. Decent battery life does already exist in the DAP marketplace (my J3 is an excellent example of decent battery life), so I didn't make a point of specifically mentioning it. I am giving iBasso enough trust and respect that they won't work extremely hard to create a reference portable DAP only to throw it all away by having useless battery duration (and let's be honest, there's anough room in the DX100's chassis to accommodate a decent capacity battery).

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #863 of 2,799

Quote:
The new standard is >1 ohm.  IBasso has pegged it.

Really ? Man, the guy who designed the E9 must be doing cartwheels.
rolleyes.gif

The new standard is <1 ohm. estreeter has pegged it.
tongue.gif

Happy to help. I'm here all week.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #864 of 2,799

Quote:

P.S. Just as I look back on previous iBasso releases I realize that all their claims where successfully obtained. Hope that DX100 won't become an exception. 

Very true, hadn't thought of it like that. I'm a fan of their gear for sure and haven't been dissapointed in anything I've purchased from them. I doubt very much that the DX100 would be released unless it reached their own stringent standards, they know they have a good rep to upkeep....

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #866 of 2,799
Quote:
Sounds like a guy I'd like :) I think I already stumbled over a blog like that ... was he by happenstance called NwAvGuy ... the O2 story?

By happenstance, yes he is, not past tense?

I hope the DX100 will not sound like your avatar, it looks like it has too much pre-echo and was recorded in 48kHz.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #867 of 2,799

Quote:
Very true, hadn't thought of it like that. I'm a fan of their gear for sure and haven't been dissapointed in anything I've purchased from them. I doubt very much that the DX100 would be released unless it reached their own stringent standards, they know they have a good rep to upkeep....

Spud, I look forward to your impressions of the amp section in the DX100, and whether you can improve on it with your heavily tweaked P4. iBasso could do a lot worse than to simply take the guts from that little powerhouse and slot it into the DX100, but I'm not going to second-guess folk who clearly know their way around a PCB.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #870 of 2,799

Quote:
damn!! cant wait for this to launch. hope the price is reasonable to the quality it gives especially the sound quality.

subscribe this thread >:}

Couldn't find a better name for your Avatar ,I will feel guilty every time I have to quote you stupid11, sorry but his sounds wrong man
biggrin.gif
.......welcome to the club.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back