Jan 4, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #827 of 2,799
I predict the last minute changes to the DX100 will be the following:

- a 13bit/164kHz DAC will be used, made by ESS Crystal Wolfson
- It will be running the Bada OS from Samsung
- It comes with two large MIDI ports
- Battery life will be 24.56 Hours
- To save costs there is no output, but instead an extraknob
- The case will be made of a noiserepelling magnesium-niobium alloy
- It has three balanced, optocoupled phase-synchronized powersupplies with SingWire transformators
- It will be a capacitor-free design, based on quartzstabilised VLSI tubes

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #828 of 2,799

Quote:
I predict the last minute changes to the DX100 will be the following:

- a 13bit/164kHz DAC will be used, made by ESS Crystal Wolfson
- It will be running the Bada OS from Samsung
- It comes with two large MIDI ports
- To save costs there is no output, but instead an extraknob
- The case will be made of a noiserepelling magnesium-niobium alloy
- It has three balanced, optocoupled phase-synchronized powersupplies with SingWire transformators
- It will be a capacitor-free design, based on quartzstabilised VLSI tubes

+ all perfectly positioned on 4 x full size Cereballs!

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #829 of 2,799

Quote:

Only when running on pure Unicorn blood. On a 50/50 mix of horse- and narwhal blood the battery life is about 45 minutes with the screen turned off and the volume below 10%.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #830 of 2,799

Quote:

The HD800 is not difficult to power, the T1 is a bit harder to drive.

I am speculating it will be perfectly fine, but not perfectly ideal, since most professional desktop amps seem to have a jack for lo and hi...

The Galaxy S is the one with the good sound quality, don't expect S II and S3 to be the same, they have changed to a Yamaha DAC that doesn't sounds as good as the Wolfson from what I have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C

Is this device likely to be able to power the T1/HD800? If yes, I might just go ahead and buy the Samsung Galaxy S3 when it comes out. I want to switch from the iPhone, but only reason I haven't is because I'm tied down temporarily with the music/amp combo side of things. I'd still keep my iPhone 4 of course, but honestly I'm a bit sick of Apple's overly simplified UI and lacklustre screen size.

kiteki is right, the new Samsung Yamaha DAC is terrible and traditionally Samsung has been known to implement their handset audio capabilities to sound mediocre at best. If you're going to buy a Samsung for good sounding audio you just wasted your money. Not trying to bash a product but Sammy for me has left a lot to be desired. I've run across enough people in real life and on forums who have had nothing but hardware troubles with Samsung handsets. Sammy is also known for being one of the slowest for updating Android and fragmentation amongst Samsung handsets is ridiculous. That being said I will admit they do work well when you root them and install a good ROM. By the way last time I checked no Samsung handset had the guts to even come close to driving a high end can such as a T1 or a HD800. If you want to do that you'll need a mobile rig which means you'll be running around with a brick which is not a good setup if you're using your source also as a phone. If you're going to do that you might as well get a Sony or Samsung dedicated DAP and just bypass the circuitry and run a line out to a DAC/amp. If you do go that route forget about a Fostex or CLAS setup because they're made for iPod's only. There are options out there for Samsung handsets but once you factor in say a Leckerton D4 DAC/amp or a TTVJ Slim with the DAC add on or even iBasso's offerings you're spending very easily over 500 bones and it won't be as mobile as say a DX100 or a Fostex rig. As far as mainstream DAP's and handsets go iPods sound better then anything Samsung has put out and the only other challengers in the mainstream DAP realm, and I emphasize the word mainstream, in the sound department would be Sony or Sanza. The downside is Sanza lacks the features a DAP such as a iPod or Android device provides and is quite primitive UI wise. The downside with Sony is their DAP's are limited in file extension support and they're notorious as far as players go for discontinuing a product line when the going gets tough. It's a trait I've personally found very irritating with Sony and their mobile player offerings. I'm a Sony diskman fan going back to the early 90's and I still have my original Sony cassette walkman packed away somewhere. I only wish Sony still had the right stuff and could go head to head with Apple in the DAP dept.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #831 of 2,799

Quote:

kiteki is right, the new Samsung Yamaha DAC is terrible and traditionally Samsung has been known to implement their handset audio capabilities to sound mediocre at best. If you're going to buy a Samsung for good sounding audio you just wasted your money. Not trying to bash a product but Sammy for me has left a lot to be desired. I've run across enough people in real life and on forums who have had nothing but hardware troubles with Samsung handsets. Sammy is also known for being one of the slowest for updating Android and fragmentation amongst Samsung handsets is ridiculous. That being said I will admit they do work well when you root them and install a good ROM. By the way last time I checked no Samsung handset had the guts to even come close to driving a high end can such as a T1 or a HD800. If you want to do that you'll need a mobile rig which means you'll be running around with a brick which is not a good setup if you're using your source also as a phone. If you're going to do that you might as well get a Sony or Samsung dedicated DAP and just bypass the circuitry and run a line out to a DAC/amp. If you do go that route forget about a Fostex or CLAS setup because they're made for iPod's only. There are options out there for Samsung handsets but once you factor in say a Leckerton D4 DAC/amp or a TTVJ Slim with the DAC add on or even iBasso's offerings you're spending very easily over 500 bones and it won't be as mobile as say a DX100 or a Fostex rig. As far as mainstream DAP's and handsets go iPods sound better then anything Samsung has put out and the only other challengers in the mainstream DAP realm, and I emphasize the word mainstream, in the sound department would be Sony or Sanza. The downside is Sanza lacks the features a DAP such as a iPod or Android device provides and is quite primitive UI wise. The downside with Sony is their DAP's are limited in file extension support and they're notorious as far as players go for discontinuing a product line when the going gets tough. It's a trait I've personally found very irritating with Sony and their mobile player offerings. I'm a Sony diskman fan going back to the early 90's and I still have my original Sony cassette walkman packed away somewhere. I only wish Sony still had the right stuff and could go head to head with Apple in the DAP dept.

I wouldn't be buying the Galaxy S3 for audio use. Rather phone use, screen, web browsing, camera, weight, battery life, screen size etc. I just find the iPhone 4 lacking in many areas which I think the Android phones excel. My parents have the Galaxy S2, and my cousin the Galaxy Nexus, and whilst I prefer elements of the iPhone 4, overall I find Android's offering's more mature and to my tastes. That's why I'd be interested in a separate DAP. My options being either the DX100 or the HM-801. I wouldn't be using a portable amp with either which is why it's important they were powerful enough on their own. I'd have bought the HM-801 already but the UI is mind bogglingly weak and horrible looking imo. That's the only thing that's keeping me away.

Hopefully the DX100 is comparable in quality and power, but with a much better UI.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #832 of 2,799
My biggest worry for the DX100 is that the output impedance will be too high. That's just MY worry based on nothing in particular since we have no specs yet. But it really is a key issue if this is going to be the holy grail for high end IEMs.

Here is hoping...!

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #833 of 2,799

Quote:
My biggest worry for the DX100 is that the output impedance will be too high. That's just MY worry based on nothing in particular since we have no specs yet. But it really is a key issue if this is going to be the holy grail for high end IEMs.

Here is hoping...!

I once wrote to iBasso, that I'd want the DX100 to be able to drive a TF10 with decent frequency response. They got back to me, asking what I'd like to see and I told them a horizontal straight line :) They said thanks.

So ... we'll see :)

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #834 of 2,799

Quote:
I once wrote to iBasso, that I'd want the DX100 to be able to drive a TF10 with decent frequency response. They got back to me, asking what I'd like to see and I told them a horizontal straight line :) They said thanks.

So ... we'll see :)

They will give you your Avatar?

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #836 of 2,799

Quote:

If my Avatar was the output, while it was also the Input, then I hope yes :)

Nice one!

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #837 of 2,799

Quote:

Here is hoping...!

Same here - output impedance for the 3.5mm socket is gonna decide if I buy this DAP or not. If it's too high I'll either stick to my X7 or get a Sony NW-Z1070 + possibly an Arrow amp.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #838 of 2,799
I understand my TF10s also need a low output impendance .... I'm no electronics person, but it's what keeps the TF10s behaving well, no? I seem to recall, that a high output impendance throws a TF10s frequency response into turmoil ... soething to do with it having 3 drivers and thus having a frequency separator. But I'm not quite sure if I got that right.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #839 of 2,799

Quote:
I understand my TF10s also need a low output impendance .... I'm no electronics person, but it's what keeps the TF10s behaving well, no? I seem to recall, that a high output impendance throws a TF10s frequency response into turmoil ... soething to do with it having 3 drivers and thus having a frequency separator. But I'm not quite sure if I got that right.

I would love to share a link to a great explanation, but the electronics engineer who wrote that great (and very relevant) explanation on his blog managed to offend so many Head-Fi sponsors (by calling bu||sh|t on their spec sheets among other things) that not only did he get banned, we are now no longer allowed to post links to his blog.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #840 of 2,799

Quote:
I would love to share a link to a great explanation, but the electronics engineer who wrote that great (and very relevant) explanation on his blog managed to offend so many Head-Fi sponsors (by calling bu||sh|t on their spec sheets among other things) that not only did he get banned, we are now no longer allowed to post links to his blog.

Sounds like a guy I'd like :) I think I already stumbled over a blog like that ... was he by happenstance called NwAvGuy ... the O2 story?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back