iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #10,636 of 13,503
Feel like I've opened a can of worms just asking about a case :p After my Zune cracked I guess I'll be extra careful if/when I do get a DX100. Not entirely sure I'd want a Nintendo DS case to be honest, might have to look for a camera case of some sort. 

I don't suppose anyone is pairing this with one of the Unique Melody CIEM's? 

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #10,639 of 13,503
Quote:
Just got two random stops on mine, running 1.3.7 after a clean wipe and restore using the format tool 
frown.gif

I find that whatever method I use to change FW versions, a factory reset, reboot, let the indexing finish then ANOTHER reboot is the way to go.  If I don't do that additional reboot I find it freaks out a little way into a track and resets.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #10,640 of 13,503
Quote:
Feel like I've opened a can of worms just asking about a case :p After my Zune cracked I guess I'll be extra careful if/when I do get a DX100. Not entirely sure I'd want a Nintendo DS case to be honest, might have to look for a camera case of some sort. 

Grab the LowePro Tahoe 30, fits the DX100 perfectly, very well made and can be had relatively cheap online. I used to have the UM Merlin and they sounded their best from the DX100 
smile.gif

Quote:
Still I gotta say, you can say what you like about Apple stuff, but at least they do what they say on the can. I can't believe a product costing $800 would be released like this.

I agree, iPods "just work", as long as you like the way they work. Then again, I'm pretty sure Apple has a software R&D budget about 1500 times larger than Ibasso's entire anual revenue. A much bigger part of your $800 goes into hardware with the DX100 than your $249 does with an iPod Classic. You just gotta decide what is most important for you: Absolute sound quality or daily ease of use?

For me, the DX100 wins on both accounts. I find it very easy to use (yay, no iTunes!) and it sounds A LOT better than the iPod. Then again, my only experience with iDevices was a short stint with a Rockboxed iPod 5.5. Sure the DX100 has it's quirks (album art for some, playlists for others) but I find them to be very minor blemishes. Especially when you start comparing it to the competition from the Colorfly C4 and HifiMan HM-801.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #10,641 of 13,503
Quote:
Feel like I've opened a can of worms just asking about a case !
wink.gif
After my Zune cracked I guess I'll be extra careful if / when I do get a DX100. Not entirely sure I'd want a Nintendo DS case to be honest, 'might have to look for a camera case of some sort. 

Norêve - Universal PDA - Traditional - Large

Etui_noreve_universel_case_black.jpg

As can be seen in my DX100 impressions.

Their site says that they currently don't manufacture it anymore, but I'm confident that an email request should achieve positive results.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #10,643 of 13,503
Quote:

Thanks, I guess this is going to be an expensive month!

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Tahoe-Black-Camera-Pouch/dp/B005HNNQ6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360763236&sr=8-1&keywords=lowepro+tahoe+30 

It's a $12 top quality case for your $830 DAP 
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #10,644 of 13,503
Feb 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #10,646 of 13,503
Well, I guess I did something right, I received an email from Tenso.com, they received my package from Amazon.japan.  I still think it was pure dumb luck that I was able to get the address right.

But on a less happy note, I also received an email from iBasso.  they are still celebrating Chinese New year, they won't be shipping my DX100 until 2/17/13.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #10,647 of 13,503
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Tahoe-Black-Camera-Pouch/dp/B005HNNQ6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360763236&sr=8-1&keywords=lowepro+tahoe+30 

It's a $12 top quality case for your $830 DAP 
biggrin.gif

By chance, I picked up one of these a few weeks ago too. A little bulky, but so is the DX100. Soft lining, and the zipper has a little protection to minimise scratching on insertion. Plus a small side pocket for spare SD card, 1/4" jack, etc. A bit tight for most over ear IEMs though. Also has a belt loop for hanging off a belt or bag strap.

I found an old slip case for a Dell PDA I used to use fitted well for carrying in my brief case.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #10,649 of 13,503
Quote:
Haven't noticed anything at all, nothing. Haven't been listening critically for it and A/B testing with only one DX100 at hand is a bit hard 
smile.gif

You know, in the past few days, I've gone back to 1.1.7, 1.2.7 (what mine shipped with) and back to 1.3.7, and if there is a difference in SQ it is either mighty subtle or my hearing is just not good enough to discern the difference. 

I don't find any of the three muddy, can't say I can detect as much difference in the bass levels as I can swapping various phones I have. What I can notice is that the DX is discernibly better than any of my iPods and iPhone.... Now they do sound muddy in comparison. Of course, apart from the Momentums, none of my phones or IEMs are particularly bass heavy and I know plenty of people don't think they are. I like deep sub bass extension but not in too much quantity so maybe this is impacting on what I hear.

Of course swapping FW, I can't a/b like I can between the DX and other devices I have. I wouldn't dare suggest you guys who believe there is a significant difference are mistaken because I know that at 60 my ears are not going to be as good as you younger guys are but that is a relief to me, because 1.1.7 would not display my album art correctly and not at all with flac. I had too many playing interruptions with 1.2.7 to be satisfied with it. So far 1.3.7 has only had one random stoppage, but most everything else seems fine.

If anyone can provide empirical data supporting the reported variations is SQ I'd be grateful as I'd like to see the degree of variations involved. But in the end its all moot really because I'm a firm believer in the adage that your ears don't lie and so each person should choose what they like not what someone else thinks is best. If this weren't true, all headphones would surely try to sound alike instead of the multitude of bass heavy, bass light, bright, V shaped, U shaped, neutral, rolled off, I'm sure I've missed some, sounding phones on the market. 

Just felt I would add my observations to the thread. Oh, and I still love my DX100 even with its foibles. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #10,650 of 13,503

I am using my DX100 with my UM Miracles and I think the pairing sounds great. Of course it is the most high end rig I have owned so I cannot really compare. It sounds great but the only caveat I would put is that it is not very tolerant to bad mastering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back