iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 1, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #9,781 of 13,503
Is it fine to connect a pair of IEMs to BOTH the 1/4 and 1/8 jacks? I will be travelling with my partner and wanted to do this instead of using a splitter cable. The IEMs are SM3s and Ety ER4, will the sound be noticeably degraded by having both connected as opposed to either on their own?

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #9,782 of 13,503
Quote:

I like to keep my tags clean as well, but I do occasionally need the disc number tag, on albums or box sets with more than one disc.

I use the following naming convention:

<artist> - <album> - T<track number> - <title>.flac

This works quite well, but on multi-disc albums I use:

<artist> - <album> - D<disc number>T<track number> - <title>.flac

I've been using this for many years and have had no problems to date.

But I can understand how classical music aficionados have a much harder time of it.

I still remove the tags regarding the disc numbers. Just I ensure I have the actual albums separated first. So Disc 1, Disc 2, etc and there is no problem for me in regards to organization in my library. On the DX100 it makes no difference having that tag and I feel it would just add more clutter overall :).

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #9,783 of 13,503
Quote:
Is it fine to connect a pair of IEMs to BOTH the 1/4 and 1/8 jacks? I will be travelling with my partner and wanted to do this instead of using a splitter cable. The IEMs are SM3s and Ety ER4, will the sound be noticeably degraded by having both connected as opposed to either on their own?

Why would you use both? I see no reason to use both at the same time (1/4 and 1/8). Choose one and decide which one to use. You could risk damaging your IEMs if they are not of the same specifications. At least from what I heard the DX100 compensates for these differences on the fly.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #9,784 of 13,503
I've been doing some tests this evening (and still am doing actually!) 'cos I haven't really been happy with my speaker setup (Marantz DV9500 -> unbalanced RCA -> Accuphase E-407 integrated amp -> bi-wired/bi-amped -> B&W Nautilus 804 (aka N804). I've had this setup for more than 12 years (the Marantz DV9500 came in around 2003/2004) and probably thanks a lot to headphones, I found my system lifeless, uninvolving, lacking detail and basically sounding "flat". So I've been demo-ing other higher end speakers, tried removing bi-amping/wiring, and finally changing my source.

In goes the DX100 lineout to RCA (again unbalanced) compared to my 9 yr old Marantz DV9500 and surprisingly the DX100 seems to be outperforming the Marantz SACD player - this is even comparing SACD vs 24/192 on the DX100. The  DX100 increases the soundstage more somewhat and is beginning to actually feel more immersive.

I know I shouldn't be thinking it's just merely the DAC chip difference (ES9018 vs Cirrus Logic CS4398) but it has given more more faith in the ES9018 that I'm out looking for the Oppo BDP-105 now to replace my DV9500. Kinda says quite a bit that the DX100 playing 24/192 can outperform a proper speaker rig SACD player. Admittedly the DV9500 isn't a top end SACD of course but at the same time I didn't expect a portable to perform that well.

P.S. I'm comparing it against the MBA -> USB -> Benchmark DAC1 Pre -> XLR -> Accuphase E-407, and I'm still leaning towards the DX100. 
[Edit] Correction, the DAC1 Pre balanced feels "fuller".

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #9,785 of 13,503
Quote:

I tried the DX100 in many high end, revealing systems and to be honest it doesn't really cut it in that kind of set up....although it was OK as a transport....

Personally in your system, I would change out the Accuphase and get a more lively integrated amp with probably better grip and control over the N804 
wink_face.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #9,786 of 13,503
Quote:
I've been doing some tests this evening (and still am doing actually!) 'cos I haven't really been happy with my speaker setup (Marantz DV9500 -> unbalanced RCA -> Accuphase E-407 integrated amp -> bi-wired/bi-amped -> B&W Nautilus 804 (aka N804). I've had this setup for more than 12 years (the Marantz DV9500 came in around 2003/2004) and probably thanks a lot to headphones, I found my system lifeless, uninvolving, lacking detail and basically sounding "flat". So I've been demo-ing other higher end speakers, tried removing bi-amping/wiring, and finally changing my source.

In goes the DX100 lineout to RCA (again unbalanced) compared to my 9 yr old Marantz DV9500 and surprisingly the DX100 seems to be outperforming the Marantz SACD player - this is even comparing SACD vs 24/192 on the DX100. The  DX100 increases the soundstage more somewhat and is beginning to actually feel more immersive.

I know I shouldn't be thinking it's just merely the DAC chip difference (ES9018 vs Cirrus Logic CS4398) but it has given more more faith in the ES9018 that I'm out looking for the Oppo BDP-105 now to replace my DV9500. Kinda says quite a bit that the DX100 playing 24/192 can outperform a proper speaker rig SACD player. Admittedly the DV9500 isn't a top end SACD of course but at the same time I didn't expect a portable to perform that well.

P.S. I'm comparing it against the MBA -> USB -> Benchmark DAC1 Pre -> XLR -> Accuphase E-407, and I'm still leaning towards the DX100. 
[Edit] Correction, the DAC1 Pre balanced feels "fuller".

Sounds similar to my experience with my Onkyo SACD/DVDA deck: I was also impressed the DX100 outperformed it! I think the Sabre DAC does make a difference.
It would be interesting to compare to the Oppo BD/SACD decks with the Sabre DAC indeed.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #9,787 of 13,503
Time for another question. The DX100 now plays my songs in order (thanks to the mp3tag batch process instructions). Most of the time it plays without interruptions (still get a few 1/2 second glitches which is mostly when playing hi res flacs).

The strange problem is that sometime it plays a track in high speed (like running a tape or vinyl record at higher rotational speed). The only way to make it go back to normal is to skip the track (sometimes I have to skip 2-3 tracks before it goes back to normal).

These are random tracks that have played fine (nothing wrong with the file I think). 

Other notes: All my files are flac CD quality and higher (from HDTracks). Most of the time I am listening in "play all, shuffle mode".

I have done factory resets many times, I have even re-installed the 1.2.7 FW.

Any ideas what is causing this? Is it a known bug that might be fixed in the next FW?

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #9,788 of 13,503
Yep, the chipmunk effect happens when you're going from high res (24/96) to low res (16/44.1). Try changing the resampling from native play to upsampling, then back again. That solves it, and is a lot faster than rebooting.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #9,789 of 13,503
Quote:
Time for another question. The DX100 now plays my songs in order (thanks to the mp3tag batch process instructions). Most of the time it plays without interruptions (still get a few 1/2 second glitches which is mostly when playing hi res flacs).

The strange problem is that sometime it plays a track in high speed (like running a tape or vinyl record at higher rotational speed). The only way to make it go back to normal is to skip the track (sometimes I have to skip 2-3 tracks before it goes back to normal).

These are random tracks that have played fine (nothing wrong with the file I think). 

Other notes: All my files are flac CD quality and higher (from HDTracks). Most of the time I am listening in "play all, shuffle mode".

I have done factory resets many times, I have even re-installed the 1.2.7 FW.

Any ideas what is causing this? Is it a known bug that might be fixed in the next FW?

It usually goes into Chipmonks' mode when you play a high rez file but don't physically stop the player and then choose a file at a lower bit rate.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #9,791 of 13,503
Why would you use both? I see no reason to use both at the same time (1/4 and 1/8). Choose one and decide which one to use. You could risk damaging your IEMs if they are not of the same specifications. At least from what I heard the DX100 compensates for these differences on the fly.

Sorry, the reason would be so we can both listen to the DX100 at the same time. Would a splitter (ie 3.5mm to 2x3.5mm) be any safer for the IEMs?

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #9,792 of 13,503
Quote:

I tried the DX100 in many high end, revealing systems and to be honest it doesn't really cut it in that kind of set up....although it was OK as a transport....

I agree that the DX100's strength in that kind of system would be as a transport.  I've tried my DX100's lineout in different applications but have seen it bettered by other dedicated equipment.  To me this takes nothing away from the DX100, it's still amazing what it does for the size it is.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #9,793 of 13,503
Quote:

Personally in your system, I would change out the Accuphase and get a more lively integrated amp with probably better grip and control over the N804 
wink_face.gif

The DX100 was actually a test to see if the current setup could improve on the DAC side and yes it can. For some reason I'm a sucker for the ES9018 DAC (yes yes, the circuitry around it counts) but most of the Accuphase transports/SACD players are extremely pricey. I did consider changing amps too (or in this case adding an amp and have the E-407 a preamp) and looked at the McIntosh MC275LE. I'm not certain though with its 75W/ch had sufficient grunt for the N804.

In the end, after testing a few other speakers I think the bottom line is that the N804 or B&W's 800 series (i.e. the Diamonds) aren't just my taste (or my taste has changed after 12 years). The Franco Serblin Accordos and Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution look mighty nice though!

Woops...drifting from the topic. Apologies all. Happy to take this to PM with ya, spkrs01.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #9,794 of 13,503
Quote:
Thanks but a dumb follow up question. How would do I do  this?

In the main player screen, press the "options" button (The one to the bottom left) and select SRC. Then from "Native play", go to one of the resampling options like 24/96, then back to native play 
smile.gif

Quote:
Sorry, the reason would be so we can both listen to the DX100 at the same time. Would a splitter (ie 3.5mm to 2x3.5mm) be any safer for the IEMs?

You can use all the outputs at the same time with no issues - We actually tried it at a local meet. Always fun to see a DAP feeding two DAC's, an amp and two sets of cans at the same time 
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #9,795 of 13,503
In the main player screen, press the "options" button (The one to the bottom left) and select SRC. Then from "Native play", go to one of the resampling options like 24/96, then back to native play :smile:
You can use all the outputs at the same time with no issues - We actually tried it at a local meet. Always fun to see a DAP feeding two DAC's, an amp and two sets of cans at the same time :D

Conflicting views, any more comments? Particularly re damage to IEMs and sound degradation from connecting 2 pairs of IEMs at same time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back