iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Oct 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #8,492 of 13,503
Just finished updating my DX100. First reaction: aaaargh bass emphasis. With Fit Ear TG!334's the bass sounds more prominent. I'm not sure if I like it. Maybe I'll get used to it. But it's making my music seem needlessly bass heavy and relatively dark, whilst before it sounded relatively flat.

I'll try with Thunderpants....  moar bass emphasis. But it sounds good. "Woody and organic", as my girlfriend said.

DT770's sound pretty fine, surprisingly.

This may actually improve the sound of my Westone 4's. I always found them to be bass light and upping the bass frequencies as much as I could on EQ still didn't sate me. Thinking about it now, they are the only bass light side of neutral headphones I own

In case anyone wants to take this opinion and run with it, please be aware my listening preferences, listening ability (as governed by my age, physiology, experience and psychology) and equipment will probably differ from yours.

I think I need to let my brain burn the new sound in. Maybe I just got unlucky with a few bass heavy tracks when skipping through my music collection at random.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #8,494 of 13,503
Switching from 24/192 -> 16/44.1 I still have the "dying record player" fade-off. And just right now, I'm getting the chipmunk back (but this is not as reproduce-able as the "dying record player").

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #8,495 of 13,503
Using the DX100 as a transport/source for the Intruder. Excellent detailed and highly enjoyable. I haven't had a chance to compare sound differences but then I only use the Intruder, as the 71b, as balanced so this would be comparing balanced to the single ended of the Intruder.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #8,497 of 13,503
Quote:
You Use an Ibasso Dx100 for Listening 320K MP3 ?? It's a Joke ?? LoL

I think you use a JVC IEM too ?

I don't wish to offend you, butI find your post is silly. 320k mp3 sounds excellent in my opinion and in most cases people can't tell the difference between it and lossless codecs such as flac. I've tried comparing the two extensively in the past and would prefer to have my whole collection in 320k mp3 just because it's 'good enough' and saves a lot of space. I'm getting tired of the stupid size of 24bit flacs... it's clogging up my HDD with relatively little to offer in terms of sound quality improvements over 16bit/44.1k flac (not to mention the limited number of tracks I can fit on a 64gb hdd in lossless format).

I'm listening to 224k mp3 tracks on my DX100 as we speak. I can barely tell some quality was sacrificed to achieve the file size. Still sounds great and gets me going. In the end it's more important to me to have a good selection of music instead of a good selection of lossless tracks.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #8,498 of 13,503
Closer by Nine Inch Nails is raping my brain with bass.
basshead.gif

At least this means more lively low level listening experiences...
L3000.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #8,499 of 13,503
Why the report of changing in sound quality from older to newer firmware?  Additional DSP by iBasso?  

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #8,500 of 13,503
Quote:
Why the report of changing in sound quality from older to newer firmware?  Additional DSP by iBasso?  

It appears the firmware can change some conditions that the dac operates under and therefore change the sound.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #8,501 of 13,503
Quote:
Quote:
You Use an Ibasso Dx100 for Listening 320K MP3 ?? It's a Joke ?? LoL

I think you use a JVC IEM too ?

I don't wish to offend you, butI find your post is silly. 320k mp3 sounds excellent in my opinion and in most cases people can't tell the difference between it and lossless codecs such as flac. I've tried comparing the two extensively in the past and would prefer to have my whole collection in 320k mp3 just because it's 'good enough' and saves a lot of space. I'm getting tired of the stupid size of 24bit flacs... it's clogging up my HDD with relatively little to offer in terms of sound quality improvements over 16bit/44.1k flac (not to mention the limited number of tracks I can fit on a 64gb hdd in lossless format).

I'm listening to 224k mp3 tracks on my DX100 as we speak. I can barely tell some quality was sacrificed to achieve the file size. Still sounds great and gets me going. In the end it's more important to me to have a good selection of music instead of a good selection of lossless tracks.

No pb :wink: You don't offense me .

But buy a player for 800$ just for play MP3 it's very funny

If you don't listend any difference enter 320K and flac , i think change you Speaker, AMP and DAC :wink:

After for a good quality and little space ok it's a very good raison :wink:

But for me, i create just 1 base with my CD and LP so i prefer use FLAC every where at home on work with my DX100 and not creat one great quality  in home and MP3 for "travel"

Iand with this DAP and a good speaker or IEM or  HeadPhone you can really listend the difference entre compressed file an LosLess.

So

EveryBody do what he want but for me it's crazy to buy a player 800$ for listen MP3

sorry i didn't use my translator :frowning2:

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #8,502 of 13,503
In comparing the bass direct headphone out to some very good amps using the line out, I do not find the bass exaggerated. The new firmware retains the great sound of 1.1.7 and gives it a boost as in even better. Great going!

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #8,503 of 13,503
So far, I have been very pleased with v1.2.7. The tonality (without EQ) sounds just fine to my ears, well-balanced and with a very good sense of space, especially when listening to my binaural recordings. I hear no pops when switching the screen on and off, nor have I heard any "hiccups" as I sometimes did with previous versions.

I cannot comment on how album art is handled in the latest firmware, as I only use .wav files. Album art is not supported in the .wav format.

I am using the 5 second option for gapless, and the transitions seem to be very quick without any noticeable fade-in.

I would also like to be able to search by Artist as well as by Album, but hopefully that will be addressed in the future.

As I don't use playlists, I can't comment on that, however favorites are saved and played correctly. I have been listening to my DX100 for several hours while plugged into the charger and it is only very slightly warm. I also find the responsiveness to my inputs to be crisp and quick. Menus pop up almost immediately when selected.

While iBasso has yet to make everyone happy with the UI and the various functionality options, they are to be commended for their willingness to continue to improve the DX100. I have owned quite a few DAP's that performed far worse than the DX100 and the manufacturers chose to ignore the shortcomings and provide little, if any, response to user requests. 5 firmware updates since the the DX100 has been introduced does indicate that they are striving to further improve their flagship model and are willing to listen to input from their customers.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #8,504 of 13,503
Listening to Blues in Orbit, Duke Ellington. I have the collectable CD. I wonder how much it is worth now. Anyway, very enjoyable. So far no problems with the new firmware. Right direction and does right for the music.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #8,505 of 13,503
Quote:

Agreed 100%. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back