iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Oct 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #8,506 of 13,503
Wow! and wow! The bass!!...Loving it! 
The enhanced background bassline is really appreciated! Making the whole sound more organic with a greater depth! 
The mid is still extremely neutral too.

Does anyone also find out that the high is even smoother? which makes it sounds a little bit slower (more neutral I mean)? Because it definitely is to my ears! Period! Now I don't need any eq at all. "Flat" is already the right sound IMO.

Best firmware so far!! This is it.  Almost like the perfect sound to me! Smooth! liquid! organic! detailed! creamy!
I haven't been this impressed and excited for such a long time! Dx100 did it! I wonder how much better can it still gets!

And I doubt 901 can top this now!

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #8,507 of 13,503
I just updated my player from 1.2.3 to 1.2.7. Oh boy night and day difference. The midrange is much more organic, the highs are still detailed but less harsh and spitty, and the bass is way more musical and involving. I really did not warm up to the DX-100 since I received it a few weeks ago. Now it is a different story. I am listening with my HIFIMAN HE-500's and ALO RX Mark 3B amp. I can listen at lower volume levels now and still enjoy the sweet sound. Happy camper

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #8,508 of 13,503
No way I am letting my dx100 go now, ever! ...
biggrin.gif
 I actually even want to cancel my desktop Dac order and sell all my sources on my hand.;P..I am never ibasso hype fan!But this truly sound sublime!!

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #8,510 of 13,503
Grrr

that would explain why the changing of the gapless setting i did, didn't do squat!!

I understand there view on the fade in but here is the answer...

No ALBUM in existance ever changes bitrate mid way between tracks.

So they need to order the playback by two sort orders

1. By Artist, Album name and tracks
2. By Ablum Name and Track number
3 By Song name

In instance 1  and 2, ONLY when changing album will they need to mute the ESS9018 incase there is a bitrate change. On 3 and playlist, the gapless setting should take precedence.

Currently they play by copy order which is raw.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #8,511 of 13,503
what happened with the nasty 3-5-second pause when selecting songs manually (1.2.3) or the nasty fade-in when selecting songs manually (1.1.7) in the new firmware?

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #8,513 of 13,503
what happened with the nasty 3-5-second pause when selecting songs manually (1.2.3) or the nasty fade-in when selecting songs manually (1.1.7) in the new firmware?

There is still a very slight fade-in when manually selecting different tracks, but not as noticeable as previous firmware versions. Also no popping when turning screen on and off. No fade-in with non-manual changing of tracks.

I have yet to experience a lockup or any other abnormality with 1.2.7. UI is very responsive. I have suggested that perhaps the bargraph spectrum page which is largely unused by most owners could be changed to a user-customizable page.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #8,514 of 13,503
Quote:
So does the bass seem well integrated? I would imagine iBasso is shooting for a very flat freq. response. Does the bass change with recordings? I have some that are recorded bass heavy etc.

Yeah on bass heavy tracks the bass is more prominent. It has more body. You feel the bass lines.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #8,515 of 13,503
Quote:
I've had the same problem on every firmware. I don't use playlists though so it doesn't bother me. Let us know if the reset button fixes it though :)

I had a similar issue with greatest hits albums. I had Evelyn Champagne and Martha Reeves & the Vandellas in the same playlist (Old Fart Jams 2). So I changed Martha Reeves to "Old Fart Jams 1" Playlist and fixed that issue. Well for me the issue was having the album art show up as the same lol. So I had Martha Reeves Album art showing up on Evelyn Champagne's as well. I'm very OCD and picky and like everything to be neat and tagged properly....
smile.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #8,516 of 13,503
Quote:
Man, this is sick. Admittedly I've actually not used my DX100 ins months and it's been stuck on 1.1.7 for that whole time. After today's 1.2.7 upgrade, it actually sounds better than my HP-A8 desktop DAC/Amp...and this is off my TH-900 headphones!

I'm using the DX100 as the transport in both cases, use an optical IC. Maybe the IC is bad, but I can't believe this little pocket thing is managing better than my new desktop amp (which is in turn "better" than my older Benchmark DAC1 Pre).

Yeah the imaging is rather sick now. It's reminding me of the Studio Vs imaging (almost going overboard but just perfect before clipping point).

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #8,517 of 13,503
Quote:
Wow! and wow! The bass!!...Loving it! 
The enhanced background bassline is really appreciated! Making the whole sound more organic with a greater depth! 
The mid is still extremely neutral too.

Does anyone also find out that the high is even smoother? which makes it sounds a little bit slower (more neutral I mean)? Because it definitely is to my ears! Period! Now I don't need any eq at all. "Flat" is already the right sound IMO.

Best firmware so far!! This is it.  Almost like the perfect sound to me! Smooth! liquid! organic! detailed! creamy!
I haven't been this impressed and excited for such a long time! Dx100 did it! I wonder how much better can it still gets!

And I doubt 901 can top this now!

I kinda figured the same thing my friend. This thing is now competing with my DACport LX. Before it wasn't. And that is stock without any amp attached to it either.... There is more depth and impact to the bass. Treble and micro-detailing are more detailed than before. Imaging is similar now to the Studio V 3rd ANV and pulls back just before clipping point which is very nice (this makes for a more revealing sound).

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #8,518 of 13,503
Quote:
Grrr

that would explain why the changing of the gapless setting i did, didn't do squat!!

I understand there view on the fade in but here is the answer...

No ALBUM in existance ever changes bitrate mid way between tracks.

So they need to order the playback by two sort orders

1. By Artist, Album name and tracks
2. By Ablum Name and Track number
3 By Song name

In instance 1  and 2, ONLY when changing album will they need to mute the ESS9018 incase there is a bitrate change. On 3 and playlist, the gapless setting should take precedence.

Currently they play by copy order which is raw.

Can you help us with this figgie. The unit is nearing perfection? Maybe you can teach them how to do this lol. :p.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #8,519 of 13,503
Quote:
So far, I have been very pleased with v1.2.7. The tonality (without EQ) sounds just fine to my ears, well-balanced and with a very good sense of space, especially when listening to my binaural recordings. I hear no pops when switching the screen on and off, nor have I heard any "hiccups" as I sometimes did with previous versions.
I cannot comment on how album art is handled in the latest firmware, as I only use .wav files. Album art is not supported in the .wav format.
I am using the 5 second option for gapless, and the transitions seem to be very quick without any noticeable fade-in.
I would also like to be able to search by Artist as well as by Album, but hopefully that will be addressed in the future.
As I don't use playlists, I can't comment on that, however favorites are saved and played correctly. I have been listening to my DX100 for several hours while plugged into the charger and it is only very slightly warm. I also find the responsiveness to my inputs to be crisp and quick. Menus pop up almost immediately when selected.
While iBasso has yet to make everyone happy with the UI and the various functionality options, they are to be commended for their willingness to continue to improve the DX100. I have owned quite a few DAP's that performed far worse than the DX100 and the manufacturers chose to ignore the shortcomings and provide little, if any, response to user requests. 5 firmware updates since the the DX100 has been introduced does indicate that they are striving to further improve their flagship model and are willing to listen to input from their customers.

So how does the DX100 compare to your Tera player now? Curious to hear your reply now lol.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #8,520 of 13,503
Quote:
There is still a very slight fade-in when manually selecting different tracks, but not as noticeable as previous firmware versions. Also no popping when turning screen on and off. No fade-in with non-manual changing of tracks.
I have yet to experience a lockup or any other abnormality with 1.2.7. UI is very responsive. I have suggested that perhaps the bargraph spectrum page which is largely unused by most owners could be changed to a user-customizable page.

Thanks Ron. What about the album art? still the same like the one in 1.2.3?

Also, still wondering if the playlist still getting deleted everytime someone a filename in a song that is already inside the dx100 storage or external storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back