iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jul 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #6,751 of 13,503
Quote:

I don't know if this helps...but the JH13 has excellent synergy with the DX100....the best I've ever heard them sound, and that's saying a lot.

I use mid level gain for my JH13's, but low gain would be normal to use as well with IEM's.  Select the gain that gives you the volume, volume adjustability, and level of hiss you prefer.   Proper gain matching to eliminate hiss is less of an issue with the DX100 as it appears to be hiss free at all gain levels with all headphones I have tried.

Thanks, I haven't tried the JH13s yet - I'll give them a go too.
I haven't heard any hissing through the JH16s at Mid gain - High it too loud

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #6,752 of 13,503
Quote:
I've found raising the gain tends to brings things closer, more upfront. Especially vocals. So with a can that I'd like the vocals to be more upfront this seems to do the trick.

I know exactly what you mean. I have been testing switching between Lo and Mid and Mid definitely seems to bring things more forward.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #6,753 of 13,503
Hi, yes I have the latest firmware too, my DX100 is from the 4th batch, so only a week old!

Very strange this problem, can anyone else with a 4th Batch test my file and report ?

Thanks

Mine is 4th batch as well - had it just over a week now so in theory should be exactly the same as yours.

On subject of gain I find the sound suits my listening in the mid position even with my IEM's. I think my earphone is definitely the weak point now but then I have gone from using an iPhone to the dx100.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #6,754 of 13,503
I'd like to know exactly what the gain switch does as well, all it seems to do here is alter the loudness of the player

Im sure it something more technical to do with the ohm of the amp, but how do we find out exactly what lo mid hi change so we can match to our headphones correctly ?

The function of the gain switch is to adjust the voltage feedback to the DX100 amplifier in order to avoid being over-driven by the input voltage. Input levels can vary greatly due to differing recording levels, use of EQ, etc. With a fixed gain, high-level transients or inputs recorded at high levels plus EQ boost (especially bass) could easily overdrive the amplfier section, resulting in clipping and/or distortion even at volume settings much less than maximum.

The ideal gain setting will allow the amplifier to deliver its full rated power at the maximum setting of the volume control into a specific load while meeting its specified distortion values and still maintain some amount of headroom for high-level transients.

Generally speaking, the gain should be set at the lowest setting that will provide the desired volume without distortion or clipping. This will also provide the most headroom for the amplifier section. Changing the load (such as the use of headphones of differing impedance and/or sensitivity) also changes how easily the amplifier section can be over-driven. Very low impedance phones will result in the amplifier reaching its rated output with a much lower imput voltage.

While there are various methods of gain control, the bottom line is that the gain control simply matches the maximum output of the amplifier when driving a specific load to the voltage level of the source input.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #6,755 of 13,503
Actually, got a question for you guys...this is something that was raise when I last met Currawong in May and it's given me somewhat more thought to it. Aside from its primary purposed mentioned by HiFlight above, does anyone find that sometimes playing around with different gain and volume settings for the same headphone accentuates certain range frequencies? i.e. it's like playing with EQ without actually playing with the EQ?

I think Currawong used the term impedance matching and I think he may be on to something there. I do find what with some IEMs, instead of low gain at volume Y, I switch it to mid gain and compensate to volume X, it does sound somewhat different? Admittedly this is not the primary purpose of the gain but a side-effect of it's use?

@Currawong, do let me know if I've misunderstood you.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #6,756 of 13,503
Quote:
Actually, got a question for you guys...this is something that was raise when I last met Currawong in May and it's given me somewhat more thought to it. Aside from its primary purposed mentioned by HiFlight above, does anyone find that sometimes playing around with different gain and volume settings for the same headphone accentuates certain range frequencies? i.e. it's like playing with EQ without actually playing with the EQ?

I think Currawong used the term impedance matching and I think he may be on to something there. I do find what with some IEMs, instead of low gain at volume Y, I switch it to mid gain and compensate to volume X, it does sound somewhat different? Admittedly this is not the primary purpose of the gain but a side-effect of it's use?

I also experience a somewhat different sound. Maybe "more energetic"?

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #6,757 of 13,503
Quote:
I also experience a somewhat different sound. Maybe "more energetic"?

Yep I agree with you both. I feel it makes the sound more upfront and in your face. Even if I do so and then turn the volume down to compensate I still feel things are closer. IMO this is a handy feature and offers some versatility.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #6,758 of 13,503
IBasso DX 100 + iBasso D12 as DAC + headstage Arrow 4 G + Unique Melody. Miracle = heaven Sound Quality

26a52240.jpg

dc3ae2b9.jpg

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #6,761 of 13,503
Quote:
This.
All more power to you if you want to lug that around, but personally the reason I spent $800 on a dap is to get great sound without having to resort to strapping on a separate dac and amp.

Exactly. The DAC in the DX100 is superior to that in the D12 in just about every single possible way. I haven't heard the Arrow amp so I can't comment on that but like Temporary name I think the DX100's raison d'etre is having a single unit to lug around instead of a stack of units. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #6,762 of 13,503
Quote:

I think what I had in mind was similar to why Etymotic offers both P and S versions of the ER4 each with a different impedance. The gain switch on anything but high will put a resistor between the amp and the headphones or IEMs, effectively changing the impedance of the amp or the headphones as I understand it, which might affect the overall frequency response, depending on the headphones or IEMs in question. It's a tricky thing to be sure of the effects of by ear, as it changes the volume as well. I've thought of measuring the effects out of curiosity, but the only equipment here I have with a low enough noise floor requires special adapters for single-ended input.

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #6,763 of 13,503
What's the point of using the d12 as a DAC? Doesn't that just make the dx100 useless...?

The idea come from my iPhone 4 S set up as pure digital transport and use Alo solo class as DAC and the portable amp I use my headstage arrow 4 G

I want only tested how potential DX 100 as pure portable digital transport , and I connect to
My IBasso D 12 as my pure portable DAC use coax cable , and as portable amp I use my headstage arrow 4 G.
In this set up IBasso DX 100 as pure digital transport did very good

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #6,764 of 13,503
sorry for the quick derail.

Any good mac cd>FLAC conversion software recommendations? Just found out the one I use expired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back